Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyre-kickers welcome!

OK folks, incorporated most of the changes suggested.

Things I'm still working on:

- the banner graphic is still a little lacking
    - the venues portion will be database driven - just working out the code
    - the music area will be going over to kplaylist - a simple work-in-progress version is there if anyone wants a quick play - login 'kpguest' password 'password'
    - content for 'About Us' needs attention

Any further ideas, comments, criticisms welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    Any further ideas, comments, criticisms welcome!
    Looks much better (IMHO), although you've added an entry page...
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    What are the WORST things you've seen on mobile disco websites?
    [SNIP]
    2) Sites where you key in the URL and are then taken to a "holding" page, so you have to click "enter" to get to the home page. I can't see the purpose of these "holding" pages, which just appear to be a complete waste of time.
    I tend to agree with rob, but each to their own and all that

I'm not sure about the red / orange link text against the grey, it doesn't show up too well.

Just noticed, your "About Us" page links back to itself (in a new window) through the "established" link.

As a general rule, "open in new window" should only really be used on links which take visitors off your site, if it all. A visitor can right-click on a link if they want a new window, or CTRL-Click (Firefox & IE7) to open in a new tab, so forcing a new window on the visitor like this is considered "bad practice". It is commonly listed along with breaking the Back button and disabling right clicking as "things that shouldn't be done"!

As an exception, it's always a good idea to open PDFs in a new window, as PDFs are 1) more likely to crash a browser and 2) often provide ancillary information intended for printing. Unfortunately, in my experience, when a PDF crashes your browser it takes all the open windows with it

Link colours are much better now

Hey Marc

I really appreciate the time you've put into helping me out here!

- Fixed the dodgy 'new window' links (there were a few on that page) - new windows are now limited to external sites, PDFs and the new playlist thing which is sucking my time at the moment but will definitely be worthwhile

- I'm happy with the colour scheme too after trying out several iterations. Also been trying across multiple browsers and screen sizes to make sure everything plays out as it should... a couple of tweaks here and there. Biggest nightmare I found was Firefox insisting on 'align' and 'valign' being specified on a per-<TD> basis rather than per-<TR> or per-<TABLE>.... what a pain in the backside!!

- The 'holding page' was insisted upon by she who must be obeyed so that's staying. I reduced the transition wait time to 5 seconds though - just long enough to register but not so long as to annoy!

Hopefully will get a few hours in at the weekend to polish off the last few niggles and get those venue reviews sorted!

Cheers

Martin