Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PaT testing requirement DJ's

Exclamation PaT testing requirement DJ's

Hi all,

Been wondering about the legal issues around PaT testing, and before everyone jumps on me, I am fully aware of the safety issues etc., plus the regulations, however, there are some dj sites that state its a legal requirement, particularly for dj's to have their equipment PaT tested.

I have checked with the HSE and the is no requirement 'in law' for these tests, again ignoring the safety aspect, which we would not ignore of course. However, my issue is with some sites saying its a legal requirement etc.

Also, if your equipment is less than 12 months old, depending on the type of equipment, it could be 24 months, it does not require PaT testing. This is because under the Plugs and Sockets safety regulation 1994, plus others, manufacturers have to comply with far more stringent regulations than applies under a PaT test, in order to be able to sell electrical equipment.

Therefore are we to assume that all manufacturers have not conformed with these regulations and we have to test all new equipment we buy before we can use it. I dont think so.

You will also find that venues who normally require PaT certificates do not insist on a cert. if your equipment is new, or as in our case (except for computers/laptops) less than 12 months old.

Any thoughts on the subject would be welcome.
    Kaira Solutions - DK Karaoke & Disco

Covering Leeds, Yorkshire wide, Central, North Eash, and North West and Southern England
    No hearing aids required, but sunglasses may come in useful.

Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

As far as I am aware it is not a legal requirement but is reccommended good practice and will help you from getting sued/prosecuted if the unthinkable were to happen. SEDA insists that all members gear is tested and several agencies, public authorities, PLC's, hotel chains etc do also. The interval of testing must be reasonable according to use. The normal appears to be annually in the disco business (but in other industries it can be less or more) so on that basis new equipment should not require testing for up to one year.

Not a legal requirement, but possibly the only way of showing your gear is safe, hence the reason many people use it.

PAT (per se) is not law, and people shouldn't say that it is. However, it would be very difficult to prove that you are complying with the law without it - ie it forms part of your records showing that you are regularly inspecting and ensuring that equipment is safe to use.

As for the '12 month issue': it is certainly not unheard of for a new piece of kit to fail a PAT test, and personally, I have never come across a venue that distinguishes between the two. Many venues ask for copies because their insurance policy stipulates that no equipment shall be brought onto the premises unless it has been PAT tested, and the insurance companies certainly don't distinguish. In any event, the magical '12 months' that we all talk about for PAT is a bit of a myth as well: it has become the 'industry standard' for the test period, but, in fact, it really depends on how often the equipment is used as to how often it should be tested.

Quote Originally Posted by theoloyla View Post
    The interval of testing must be reasonable according to use. The normal appears to be annually in the disco business (but in other industries it can be less or more)
    That actually depends on the appliance.
    so on that basis new equipment should not require testing for up to one year.
    Try telling that to certain Local Authorities. If it's in use, test it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    That actually depends on the appliance.
    To clarify , frequency of test depends on type of premises it's used in / who uses it, type of equipment (stationary / fixed equipment, IT equipment, moveable equipment, portable equipment, or hand held equipment), & class of equipment. Depending on these variables suggested testing should be carried out anything between 1 week to 48 months!

The accepted "norm" for disco equipment is 1 year, although (IMO) if used every week I would say 3 or 6 monthly would be more sensible.
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 14-03-2007 at 01:49 PM.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    The accepted "norm" for disco equipment is 1 year, although (IMO) if used every week I would say 3 or 6 monthly would be more sensible.
    In some cases I agree... extension leads, lighting that is exposed ortends to be dragged around or placed on the floor and kicked etc.. But not stuff that's securely fastened inside of flightcases that Joe Public neither sees, touches nor cares about?

Every 12 months, definitely. Including new gear. I had a brand new mixer fail PAT, and when I investigated the earth wire was dangling around inside the box instead of being fastened to a post.

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    In some cases I agree... extension leads, lighting that is exposed ortends to be dragged around or placed on the floor and kicked etc.. But not stuff that's securely fastened inside of flightcases that Joe Public neither sees, touches nor cares about?

Every 12 months, definitely. Including new gear. I had a brand new mixer fail PAT, and when I investigated the earth wire was dangling around inside the box instead of being fastened to a post.
    thanks for all the replies, and would suggest that in the case of the above, in this case the manufacturer is at fault, for letting the equipment loose on the market without conforming to the regulations.

My point, which I dont think has been explored enough, is the supposed need to have new equipment PaT tested. Even the HSE have admitted this is not required. But, bearing in mind the safety issue, and the peace of mind you get or supposed to get from PaT testing, I suppose it justifies it.

Having said that though, too many people/organisations are jumping on the bandwagon here, effectively making money out of people for nothing really. After all, the equipment can still be unsafe after a PaT test. The test only certifies the equipment at the time of testing.

Also, as I said earlier on, equipment tested by the manufacturer prior to sale, is put through more stringent testing, than it would be during a PaT test. Even PaT testing professional organisations, will tell you this.

Also, how many of you have insisted on seeing certificates of compliance on all the electrical installations at the vaious venues that insist on seeing DJ certificates. Whats 'good for the goose is also good for the gander', as they say.
    Kaira Solutions - DK Karaoke & Disco

Covering Leeds, Yorkshire wide, Central, North Eash, and North West and Southern England
    No hearing aids required, but sunglasses may come in useful.

Quote Originally Posted by DK Karaoke View Post
    thanks for all the replies, and would suggest that in the case of the above, in this case the manufacturer is at fault, for letting the equipment loose on the market without conforming to the regulations..
    Yep - in my case an easy fix, and if I was a non-PAT cowboy this could have turned out nasty if some drunken idiot sloshed a pint over the mixer. Not going to name the vendor but their name begins with N, and ends in 'umark' and I think a similar problem has been discussed on this very forum of late!

My point, which I dont think has been explored enough, is the supposed need to have new equipment PaT tested. Even the HSE have admitted this is not required. But, bearing in mind the safety issue, and the peace of mind you get or supposed to get from PaT testing, I suppose it justifies it.

Having said that though, too many people/organisations are jumping on the bandwagon here, effectively making money out of people for nothing really. After all, the equipment can still be unsafe after a PaT test. The test only certifies the equipment at the time of testing.
    PATs, MOTs - same thing. It was satisfactory on the day of the test. The brakes may well sieze or fail on your way home from the test centre!

Also, how many of you have insisted on seeing certificates of compliance on all the electrical installations at the vaious venues that insist on seeing DJ certificates. Whats 'good for the goose is also good for the gander', as they say.
    Funny you should ask that. I ALWAYS carry my PAT and PLI certs nicely laminated and have yet to be asked for them. And I work in plenty of hotels and council-owned premises.

However, I ALWAYS make a point of asking the person in charge of the venue about their fire safety policy and evacuation instructions as its a condition of my PLI that I am seen to do so as part of a health & safety assessment. My word does that bring about some funny looks!! It's almost like I speak to them in mandarin!!

As far as I am aware it is not a legal requirement but is reccommended good practice and will help you from getting sued/prosecuted if the unthinkable were to happen. SEDA insists that all members gear is tested and several agencies, public authorities, PLC's, hotel chains etc do also. The interval of testing must be reasonable according to use. The normal appears to be annually in the disco business (but in other industries it can be less or more) so on that basis new equipment should not require testing for up to one year.
    Set according to use, leaves the rule wide open to abuse in itsself lets see I could say that I only need to do mine every 3 years for instance, another disco busier than me could need it doing every 3 months???

Certain chains of big Hotels do expect it done at least yearly but with no one enforcing the issue within any local authority it will be very hard to have a set benchmark for all to follow lets face it even the HSA cant help us regarding this issue as its not tied rigidly by law...????