Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Reasonable rates?

Threaded View

Default Reasonable rates?

I know that this is a topic akin to politics and religion but I can't help but think that if, as an industry, Mobile DJs can't go some way towards agreeing on what is fair and reasonable for certain levels of provided service (something that can be publicised and understood) then the problem of cowboys and unskilled hobbyists being considered in the same league as genuinely professional mobile DJs will always be a significant problem.

Whilst the degree of organisation you guys have, even on just this site, is streets ahead of anything in NZ, I think I can still say with a certain amount of assurance that in NZ $400 + GST (around £145 + VAT) is generally considered the cut-off point between the people who value their abilities as DJs and those that just think of it as a chance to hit on drunk chicks. I charge out at $600 + GST (£220 + VAT) but also usually take a sub, venue-permitting, whereas our $400 + GST DJs don't have a sub and have about a tenth the music I do.

There are certain things that you can state are certainties with regard to DJing, if not with specific numbers certainly with acceptable ranges, e.g...

1) Weekly spend on music library updates (in my case I spend about $80 or about £30 per week on new music, but I know that's on the high side compared to most).

2) What's a reasonably powered system for an average-sized wedding, and what would that cost to hire were you not hiring a DJ?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by PropellerHeadCase; 20-03-2007 at 12:13 AM. Reason: typo
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!