Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Advice on website background colour please

Default Advice on website background colour please

Following my recent thread requesting opinions on my website, the main thing that came out was that my white writing on a blue background is not easy to read. I am therefore considering 2 options:

1) Changing the background to a very dark blue - to improve the contrast between the text & background, making the text easier to read.

2) Changing the background colour to black (despite the hot debate about white on black & black on white!)

I'm drawn towards option 2.

Firstly, white on black gives the maximum contrast - making the text much easier to read than at present. Secondly, a black background would match my header. Thirdly, (as previously mentioned in threads on here), a black background would give my site a "night time" feel, which ties in with the mobile disco business.

Please can I have opinions on which of these two options you think would be best.

Thanks guys!

http://www.robjamesentertainment.co.uk

Rob,

I'm sure that there are others who will either shoot me down or verify my comments.

As I understand it, white on black is one of the more difficult combinations of text colour / background combinations to read. Can't completely remember the arguments, but I think it's to do with the contrast between the two makes it difficult, even painful for some viewers. You and I might think it looks great, but there are accepted protocols for web design based on lots of things.

I changed my site from white on black a couple of years ago to black on very light grey because I understood it was better design and the comments and response has certainly been a lot better since i did that.

I would think, if you are determined to stick with a black or dark background, a light grey text would be more suitable?

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Following my recent thread requesting opinions on my website, the main thing that came out was that my white writing on a blue background is not easy to read. I am therefore considering 2 options:

1) Changing the background to a very dark blue - to improve the contrast between the text & background, making the text easier to read.

2) Changing the background colour to black (despite the hot debate about white on black & black on white!)

I'm drawn towards option 2.

Firstly, white on black gives the maximum contrast - making the text much easier to read than at present. Secondly, a black background would match my header. Thirdly, (as previously mentioned in threads on here), a black background would give my site a "night time" feel, which ties in with the mobile disco business.

Please can I have opinions on which of these two options you think would be best.

Thanks guys!

http://www.robjamesentertainment.co.uk
    You may also like to consider the valuable marketing aspects of this.

People are attracted by colours---ask everyone whats your favourite colour--usually the sensible ones give a straight answer---mines blue for example.

If that were not the case all cars would be Henry Ford black.

In the world of selling its an important feature--so getting colour right is important not only to read the text but to attract customers.

Its quite a complex subject and certain colours attract a certain type of person.

Me? I have Green, Red, Blue and Grey sites---just in case I missed anyone

CRAZY K

I take it changing your header is not an option?

If that's the case, I'd say change your content to a black background, but with a light grey text as Ricesnaps said. Not so "harsh" on the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I take it changing your header is not an option?

If that's the case, I'd say change your content to a black background, but with a light grey text as Ricesnaps said. Not so "harsh" on the eyes.

Yes Marc...I want to keep the header as it is.

Thanks for the advice. I value what you say, as I know you're a web designer rather than a DJ, so you're more of an expert than most of us here.

I'll seriously consider your suggestion.

If you are going with a black background, make the font a little larger than normal, or Bold / Strong tag it to make it stand out better.

Also remember, if using a background image, to make the page background colour the same (i.e. black), as if there is a delay in loading the background image, your punters will be looking at a blank page (i.e. white / grey text on white / default bg)

(PS I'm a DJ who used to be a web designer...)