Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Avoiding Venues

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    Yes I know sometimes they're set too low- so just refuse it

Exactly what what I've done.

As tempting as it is, I don't think we should be covering or tampering with equipment that we shouldnt.

There's a venue I used to do in Edinburgh, Hotel, with a limiter. DJs had to use the in-house amp and speakers that were plugged into the wall and routed to the limiter. Music kept cutting out throughout the night to the clients dismay.

Environmental Health put the limiter in and sealed it in a box not to be unlocked by anyone but them (so no adjusting by even the venue staff). Don't think there was a microphone picking up noise levels, just the output going through it.

It was put in because neighbours kept complaining about the noise (even reported them to the tv show neighbours from hell). As a result all events were run at near background level.

The problem with limiters is that they are usually installed during the day and the levels set in an empty room. Put 100 people in there absorbing the sound and creating their own noise, the music level chosen becomes unworkable.

Edinburgh, Lothian and the Borders.
    Email.
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post

There are some venues near me where you can get around the problem, as the microphone is mounted on the ceiling, and you can get to it & wrap a sock or towel over it

I'd just like to point out that on the occasions when I've covered the mic, it's actually been on the advice of officials at the venue!

I've even had officials tell me that if I have a long lead, I can plug in outside the room which will avoid the limiter!

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do. It just enables you to give the client a disco (which they booked) rather than background music (which they didn't!).
    Last edited by rob1963; 28-03-2007 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    I'd just like to point out that on the occasions when I've covered the mic, it's actually been on the advice of officials at the venue!

I've even had officials tell me that if I have a long lead, I can plug in outside the room which will avoid the limiter!

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do. It just enables you to give the client a disco (which they booked) rather than background music (which they didn't!).

To be honest if I turned up at a venue with a limiter and the official offered a 'remedy' to the problem, I'd take his advice too. Whether it meant running a cable to another power point or putting a sock over it (that's a new one though..lol)

I agree. Don't think anyone would object to you doing it 'on the advice of the management'. Think the objections come when taking the law into your own hands.

Edinburgh, Lothian and the Borders.
    Email.
    [email protected]

I have a venue nearby I try to not take bookings from as the distance to take gear is a long way with poor access and security. I took a wedding there for next month and went to check out the venue last week. Got to be like quarter of a mile through building up 3 flights of stairs and you have to move car after unloading. So when venue rang me up this week for a short notice booking I turned it down as it just wasnt worth it.
    Not being lazy or anything but for a cheap £160 booking wasnt worth the agro. If it had been a £250 booking maybe but even then I would have to give it consideration.
    When the world ends , ill probably have to clean up the mess.

Ross, your post has been deleted (as will all posts that now contain swearing). Please feel free to repost it without expletives

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    Ross, your post has been deleted (as will all posts that now contain swearing). Please feel free to repost it without expletives
    Was there swearing in it ???

All the asterixs in the last line

Please refer to the site rules!.

Quote Originally Posted by site rules
    16. Please refrain from using profanities or bad language. Please remember this Site is accessible to all age groups without restriction, so be mindful that children may be reading. There is a censor built into the forum which filters out most bad language and profanities, but please do not try to get around this by adding different characters or spaces into the word, or by providing some of the letters and filling in the rest with your own asterisks. Instead, kindly do not use such language in the first place.
    This has been brought up time and time again lately.

Ok sorry about that will keep it in mind.