Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PAT and PLI

Default PAT and PLI

I have 2 bookings in April (1st two weeks) so went to check the venues out today. Made sure i could get in alright, both up one flight of stairs, not so bad i suppose. Showed my face looked at where the dance floor was, checked power points, took a few dimmensions and spoke to the owner. Checked if they had a music licence - they do, ask if they wanted to see PAT or PLI and they both said 'I dont give a '

I'm new to this game and you have probebly heard all this before but is this the norm?
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Unfortunately so

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Then why do we put ourselves through this?
    I know it's the law but if it's the 'LAW' why don't people insist on this?
    I could spend that money elsewhere?

I know i now feel comfotable knowing 'I'm alright jack' but how many cowboy's are out there creaming off what the honest person / proffesional DJ's are doing?

I am really giving some thought of giving my preformance charges an upgrade new or not but there is a fine line to tow.
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Because as a professional you owe a duty of care to your clients. As far as your charges are concerned, you should charge what you feel you are worth. PATesting costs say £100pa, divide that by 52 weeks, less than £2 a week.

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    Because as a professional you owe a duty of care to your clients. As far as your charges are concerned, you should charge what you feel you are worth. PATesting costs say £100pa, divide that by 52 weeks, less than £2 a week.
    I agree with that but my point is -
    If people don't want to do PAT what makes you so sure they what to PLI?
    £2 is nothing - my charge is what i charge.
    But the thought - god forgive - if you really hurt someone due to your fault....i don't want to go there.
    Last edited by Penfold42; 01-04-2007 at 07:59 PM.

I really don't care what the venues want. PLI is there to protect me, in the event of a problem being caused by my equipment, PAT is there as a back-up along with evidence of regular visual inspection, to help prove that my equipment is maintained in a proficient and regular manner. I present my certificates on arrival at a venue, and tell the person in charge that they need to see my documentation in order to give me clearance to set up. Next time a DJ arrives, they might just remember to ask the same questions.

So are you saying - when i go back to these venues i should present PAT / PLI to clear myself in case anything happens?

Both of the venues are working mans clubs. They probebly have Mr T.Rex at the bar.....

(Not the singer...)

Yes, what harm can it do you?

You're very welcome!