Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To be, or not to be an Agent

They're not all leeches & in fairness, I only put that in to wind up Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    Um, I had noticed

I think it's best to leave it to the established agencies, unless you have the time to devote 100% to it. As you say it is a minefield, as I'm sure Mikeee will agree
    certainly do. But I would add that the market is changing, and the way people operate is changing, and with clever "manipulation" of the wording, than can (almost) get away with murder, but at the same time they have to be more open and accountable. Whilst we do need new blood coming in, I also have concerns about some "older" agents that are not keeping up with the times and still putting DJ's out at 1970's / 80's prices. Since deregulation in 1995 the industry has drifted, allowing the world, his son and his *Expletive Removed* dog to do as they please. I think I'd better stop, before..............................
    Last edited by Shaun; 12-05-2007 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Rule 16
    http://www.mikemooreentertainments.co.uk
    ...playing all the hits for you...
    ....wherever you may be .......

Quote Originally Posted by BBoy-Gnash View Post
    The only trouble I see with that is my brother has a block paving company and he is allowed to pay casual labour on a daily basis up to a certain amount after that they need some sort of proof they are paying tax and national insurance. If he uses somebody regularly he then employs them as that creates another problem, if they do too much work for him they say that person is not really self employed anymore and should be an employee. Surely would that would also apply to using a DJ on a regular basis.

And what would be the sensible rate for a walk in DJ for an 8.00pm – 12.00am gig?
    All our DJs are totally on the books so to speak & tax registered on a PAYE basis, so not a problem. They all get a monthly pay slip with all deductions clearly shown.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by BBoy-Gnash View Post
    Our paperwork is pretty crisp and as we are full time our response is very fast during office hours which are when the bulk of enquiries come in. It’s actually funny to watch and quite predictable as most of the stuff comes in at times when workers would be on tea or lunch breaks so they are obviously abusing the works internet.

I would estimate that if we respond to the enquiry via email we would get about a 75% conversion rate, if that is then followed by a telephone call the rate increases. People like to be reassured that there event is going to managed and delivered in a professional manner. I will add that although I know how to do it I don’t handle the office side of things I tend to do most of the kit cleaning, inspection and testing which is equally important.

With the best will in the world some of my brothers do not pack stuff away into the right boxes sometimes and our rigs are put together in a mix and match module style so they are easy to increase or decrease depending on audience and venue size.

That aside in reality what do is send a generic email to the agency that we are fully booked and can they help this client with a CC to the client. We then have no other involvement and the email even caries a disclaimer from us about quality of service.

We did check the agency out and they are properly registered so that is all cool and I think if we did ever progress an expansion over four rigs we would go down the Corabar route as you still control the quality. It would take a while to bring on additional DJ’s but if you installed the kit and had them as walk in DJ’s using you’re format at a sensible hourly rate problem solved.

The only trouble I see with that is my brother has a block paving company and he is allowed to pay casual labour on a daily basis up to a certain amount after that they need some sort of proof they are paying tax and national insurance. If he uses somebody regularly he then employs them as that creates another problem, if they do too much work for him they say that person is not really self employed anymore and should be an employee. Surely would that would also apply to using a DJ on a regular basis.

And what would be the sensible rate for a walk in DJ for an 8.00pm – 12.00am gig?

I think you may being mis informed here, it doesnt matter if its regular or a one off employment--its the same. A paid roadie carrying your Disco equipment for 5 minutes is employment. A DJ working on your equipment all night is the same.

You then need Employers Liability Insurance.

Any person that works for you--i.e. you supply the job and maybe materials and machinery as well is under a contract of service legally.

That means you employ them----forget about tax and NI thats a red herring.

That means you are responsible for them as regards what they do and any liability for damamge caused , you need Employers Liability Insurance as well as PLI.

The Labour only Subcontractor market is a minefield.

The only difference in running " Disco units" is the cost and maintenance of equipment, plus recruiting and retention of reliable DJs, also you need a regular supply of work otherwise your investment is wasted and your DJs go and do something else.

Either way its a lot of hard work and cost, I would be wary of recent suggestions that you can get round all this by setting up on the Internet and disclaiming liability for this that and the other to suit yourself -in my opinion you cant legally do that.

CRAZY K