Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding DJ's

Default Wedding DJ's

Sorry to bring up the old Chestnut again.

As you all know (with some thanks to Shaun) I'm currently undergoing a brand re-fresh. Part of this is about reviewing my pricing. After last night's gig I am absolutlely certain that (A) I am a bloody good wedding DJ and (B) I am nowhere near charging what I'm worth!

Consider, on top of all the usual expenses that go with our business, I had a £40 fuel bill for yesterdys gig and an extra roadie cost as we played till 2am and the client paid £320 (£100 of that only because we played for an extra 2 hours after midnight), so the fuel would have been the same for a midnight finish where I would only have charged £220!

I am considering making my pricing a little less transparent so to speak. Maybe advertising "wedding from £xxx" on the web site and then providing a firm quote when the client contact me. Would apreciat any thoughts on how you put together a quote. I am considering the following:

Standard wedding disco: £xxx
    Early set up: £xx (but all my wedding are early set up, so not that relevant)
    DJ & background music during breakfast: £xxx
    Microphones for speaches: £xxx
    Early start (based on 6.30pm normal arrival) £xx / per hour
    After midnight £xx per hour
    Upstairs £xxx

etc....

I was thinking that the above would be completely invisible to the client, but would give me some standard guidelines for quote. The intent is to generally base the pricing of travel distance and time spent at venue. I would take it as read that I visit all my wedding clients, I wear black tie, they get lights and sound and a choice of music and so on.

Any thoughts - and where do you think I should weight the cost - for example, I would think It costs more to have me all day for the breakfast, but less just to add the microphones, but the microphones would need the client potentially to add in the extra time (quoted as early start above).

Hoep that makes sense?

That sounds to me like a fair pricing policy - but I would never make it known to the customer that you are charging for microphones and 'upstairs' venues! Microphones should be part of the whole equipment package in my opinion, but the amount of equipment required should have a bearing on the price, obviously. Charging more for upstairs venues may seem fair to us, but it may seem like an unnecessary charge to a client.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    That sounds to me like a fair pricing policy - but I would never make it known to the customer that you are charging for microphones and 'upstairs' venues! Microphones should be part of the whole equipment package in my opinion, but the amount of equipment required should have a bearing on the price, obviously. Charging more for upstairs venues may seem fair to us, but it may seem like an unnecessary charge to a client.
    Obviously the above parts of the pricing would never be made known to a client, but would be a way to asses the correct price.

I also don't think the equipment has any bearing on the price, it's the service you offer with the equipment, or I hope it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps View Post
    Sorry to bring up the old Chestnut again.

As you all know (with some thanks to Shaun) I'm currently undergoing a brand re-fresh. Part of this is about reviewing my pricing. After last night's gig I am absolutlely certain that (A) I am a bloody good wedding DJ and (B) I am nowhere near charging what I'm worth!

Consider, on top of all the usual expenses that go with our business, I had a £40 fuel bill for yesterdys gig and an extra roadie cost as we played till 2am and the client paid £320 (£100 of that only because we played for an extra 2 hours after midnight), so the fuel would have been the same for a midnight finish where I would only have charged £220!

I am considering making my pricing a little less transparent so to speak. Maybe advertising "wedding from £xxx" on the web site and then providing a firm quote when the client contact me. Would apreciat any thoughts on how you put together a quote. I am considering the following:

Standard wedding disco: £xxx
    Early set up: £xx (but all my wedding are early set up, so not that relevant)
    DJ & background music during breakfast: £xxx
    Microphones for speaches: £xxx
    Early start (based on 6.30pm normal arrival) £xx / per hour
    After midnight £xx per hour
    Upstairs £xxx

etc....

I was thinking that the above would be completely invisible to the client, but would give me some standard guidelines for quote. The intent is to generally base the pricing of travel distance and time spent at venue. I would take it as read that I visit all my wedding clients, I wear black tie, they get lights and sound and a choice of music and so on.

Any thoughts - and where do you think I should weight the cost - for example, I would think It costs more to have me all day for the breakfast, but less just to add the microphones, but the microphones would need the client potentially to add in the extra time (quoted as early start above).

Hoep that makes sense?
    Several thoughts Matt--

£40 for fuel--crikey thats a lot isnt it or is that normal for you, is that Mercedes drinking fuel?

I thought you only did "local" work.

I travel all over Midlands, Home Counties / East Anglia including your area last week but would never spend that much--I factor in about £25-£35 within "standard price" but using an Estate with a Roof Box ( magic )

As it happens im down in Kent next week so I added another £25 for petrol.

I charge more for awkward venues---say £25 ---if you want to spend longer lumping equipment, even with a roadie for the same price ---good luck--I dont play that game.

The microphone thing is not so easy as I have come across several Wedding venues recently through bookings ( seem to be having a run on these myself)
    where you either set up at some really early time before the reception kicks off ( what do you do for four or five hours ? ) or you set up after the room is cleared after the meal which is then too late.

You are right it has to be in the same bracket probably as early set up charge.

In my case I was previously working a lot of Village Halls and Marquees where setting up is easier --as opposed to larger Hotels/ Wedding venues( like The Barns, Beccles) where you are fighting to get your kit into the room against the flow of the hotel staff rearranging the room at the same time and be expected to have music started in an hour.

My latest Contract states starting time is subject to availability of the room, in other words if they finish late and i cant get into the function area--the Music starts late!

Re pricing-I use guide prices all over my personal site to get rid of enquiries looking for a cheap option.

You might say----- Guide Price £400 from 7 to 12pm assuming within x miles of Ipswich.

Then on the quote enquiry form find out things like upstairs, outdoors and distances ---price accordingly in a confirmed quote.

For Hotels I specifically phone them to check on things like --upstairs, access etc to make sure before quoting and getting stuffed because they didnt mention certain awkward features of the job===you have to ask these questions.

6.30pm arrival sounds a bit late for a Wedding?

Or do you set up in half an hour?

Playing till 2am wow-I thought Brides and Grooms had a Honeymoon to go on--£50 an hour---its not really enough after Midnight.

They dont last after midnight at my gigs after a night of Disco and Barn Dancing---yee ha!

I was told this week that my wifes friends sons Wedding is costing
    £15,000 so what we charge is really peanuts--considering the job we do.

Maybe you need to go to one of those NADJ meetings Soundtracker was talking about and double your fees

Me too

CRAZY K
    Last edited by CRAZY K; 13-05-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Several thoughts Matt--

£40 for fuel--crikey thats a lot isnt it or is that normal for you, is that Mercedes drinking fuel?

I thought you only did "local" work.
    Alan,

Maybe some clarification. At the moment, unless I have no other choice, I ALWAYS set up early for weddings. Yesterday's was Just outside Bury St Edmunds, so just over 100 mile round trip done twice - once in the morning to set up and then in the evening to do the gig.

The microphone thing is not so easy as I have come across several Wedding venues recently through bookings ( seem to be having a run on these myself)
    where you either set up at some really early time before the reception kicks off ( what do you do for four or five hours ? ) or you set up after the room is cleared after the meal which is then too late.
    Never usually a problem as I almost always do an early set up, so the microphone thing might mean arriving back at say 4.30pm for the evening rather than 6pm. So my thought process was based on the additional time spent with the client. I also have a 2nd PA I use for speaches, but probably shouldn't play the "extra kit extra dosh" card!

6.30pm arrival sounds a bit late for a Wedding?

Or do you set up in half an hour?

Playing till 2am wow-I thought Brides and Grooms had a Honeymoon to go on--£50 an hour---its not really enough after Midnight.
    As above, generally set up in the morning. Currently I always try to get back about half an hour before the client thinks the speeches will finish and then it's background music until the kick off - that's sorta my wedding thing! Only exception is if the venue absolutely does not allow or can't let you set up in the morning!

I thought £50 per hour after midnight was fair - is it not? How much then.

And by the way, the groom and all the party vanished at 2am without paying up, so fingers crossed that an invoice will do the job - and no comments about "no dsh no extension". Sure you all know how hard that one is!

Alan,

Maybe some clarification. At the moment, unless I have no other choice, I ALWAYS set up early for weddings. Yesterday's was Just outside Bury St Edmunds, so just over 100 mile round trip done twice - once in the morning to set up and then in the evening to do the gig.

Never usually a problem as I almost always do an early set up, so the microphone thing might mean arriving back at say 4.30pm for the evening rather than 6pm. So my thought process was based on the additional time spent with the client. I also have a 2nd PA I use for speaches, but probably shouldn't play the "extra kit extra dosh" card!

As above, generally set up in the morning. Currently I always try to get back about half an hour before the client thinks the speeches will finish and then it's background music until the kick off - that's sorta my wedding thing! Only exception is if the venue absolutely does not allow or can't let you set up in the morning!

I thought £50 per hour after midnight was fair - is it not? How much then.

And by the way, the groom and all the party vanished at 2am without paying up, so fingers crossed that an invoice will do the job - and no comments about "no dsh no extension". Sure you all know how hard that one is!

Gordon Bennett --no money After 12 say £75 -£100 ph certainly on your new "tariff"

You need to address this ---

I insist now on being paid DURING the reception or before and to be fair always been paid by a nice Best man with a Brown envelope---or maybe white if its an upmarket Wedding

I have absolutely no intention of chasing after people in a drunken state for my money afterwards or even later.

I have just accepted a job where its being paid by bankers draft instead of cash DURING the reception, I can cope with that.

I know many on here wont turn up unless paid in advance.

Do you HAVE to make two trips on longer distances--thats very costly-- Can you work smarter--you have a Roadie.

I know Steve ( Corabar ) was working at a Wedding last night in Aylesbury, im sure that wasnt an early set up?

I travelled to Beccles( almost on the East coast ) last week which is a heck of a long way for me--and set up a load of stuff outside in the back yard ( no rain thank goodness) including the base of my DJ stand etc, then whizzed into the room the moment it was cleared for the evening session, fighting through catering staff. Not brilliant I know but you have to have a strategy.

Appreciated some of the bigger more expensive Hotels are more difficult to work in as im finding out, although my "problem" in Solihull is solved by complaining to the Hotel who have got me a "concierge" odd job boy to help bring my stuff upstairs--

I often work at such long distances its impossible to do an early set up, if you start going for bigger money gigs you may well have to do the same, will there be enough work "locally" to to support your new tariff of charges?

The Barns at Beccles might though

If you offer the stand alone PA then clearly that will have to put up early doors.

As it happens I shortly have a rare "local" Wedding in Kettering so probably will set up in the morning--ill miss the adrenalin rush though of setting up quickly,

Hope this may be helpful,

regards

ALAN
    CRAZY K

Gordon Bennett --no money After 12 say £75 -£100 ph certainly on your new "tariff"

You need to address this ---

I insist now on being paid DURING the reception or before and to be fair always been paid by a nice Best man with a Brown envelope---or maybe white if its an upmarket Wedding

I have absolutely no intention of chasing after people in a drunken state for my money afterwards or even later.
    And I always get paid up front for all my gigs - wedding in particular. I generally suggest that the client pays the balance at our "pre event meeting". Only one not been able to so far (and not last nights!). The problem with last night was that we had booked a 1am finish with a "you can pay more on the night and we'll keep going" agreement. At 1am, with a drunk, but happy groom and 200 guests on a pumping dance floor, finishing, switching off and saying no more was not an option. I am sure I'll be ok invoicing for the extra (and if not I'll have learnt a valuable lesson.

Actually, has anyone ever done this the other way around? Say the client "might" want a 3am finish, would it be ok to say they pay up front for the extra hours and get a refund if we don't do them?

Do you HAVE to make two trips on longer distances--thats very costly-- Can you work smarter--you have a Roadie.
    Unfortunately, thats's EXACTLY the problem. If it had just been me, myself and I, I would have set up, drived the 15 mins to my parents, had my tea cooked for me and come back. Having a roadie makes it harder to do that, not easier. Particularly as mine's only 16. Had the folks been further awy, would have found a nice pub and read the paper!

Early set ups, IMHO are absolutely crucial to the top end wedding scene. This one was a marquee and would have looked awful if I had turned up at 5pm and set up amongst the 250 guests.

Appreciated some of the bigger more expensive Hotels are more difficult to work in as im finding out, although my "problem" in Solihull is solved by complaining to the Hotel who have got me a "concierge" odd job boy to help bring my stuff upstairs--

I often work at such long distances its impossible to do an early set up, if you start going for bigger money gigs you may well have to do the same, will there be enough work "locally" to to support your new tariff of charges?
    I guess im my own experiance, most of the hotels around here have been more than helpful. Sometimes though it's about giving something back, making it known to the duty manager that you are happy to help them. Does see returns. Some of the hotels also give you an empty room to go and change and have a wash in once set up!

As for local work, Bear in mind that I current offer to cover Norfolk, Suffolk AND Essex, so a round trip of 200 miles to a gig is quite possible. I'm also quite fortunate to live in what they call the Heritage coast - Aldeburgh, Southwold, Framlingham etc... which in itself is a top end wedding location. A lot of "London Type's" come this way for the country wedding, so hopefully I am likely to pick up a lot of good work

And I always get paid up front for all my gigs - wedding in particular. I generally suggest that the client pays the balance at our "pre event meeting". Only one not been able to so far (and not last nights!). The problem with last night was that we had booked a 1am finish with a "you can pay more on the night and we'll keep going" agreement. At 1am, with a drunk, but happy groom and 200 guests on a pumping dance floor, finishing, switching off and saying no more was not an option. I am sure I'll be ok invoicing for the extra (and if not I'll have learnt a valuable lesson.

Actually, has anyone ever done this the other way around? Say the client "might" want a 3am finish, would it be ok to say they pay up front for the extra hours and get a refund if we don't do them?

Unfortunately, thats's EXACTLY the problem. If it had just been me, myself and I, I would have set up, drived the 15 mins to my parents, had my tea cooked for me and come back. Having a roadie makes it harder to do that, not easier. Particularly as mine's only 16. Had the folks been further awy, would have found a nice pub and read the paper!

Early set ups, IMHO are absolutely crucial to the top end wedding scene. This one was a marquee and would have looked awful if I had turned up at 5pm and set up amongst the 250 guests.

I guess im my own experiance, most of the hotels around here have been more than helpful. Sometimes though it's about giving something back, making it known to the duty manager that you are happy to help them. Does see returns. Some of the hotels also give you an empty room to go and change and have a wash in once set up!

As for local work, Bear in mind that I current offer to cover Norfolk, Suffolk AND Essex, so a round trip of 200 miles to a gig is quite possible. I'm also quite fortunate to live in what they call the Heritage coast - Aldeburgh, Southwold, Framlingham etc... which in itself is a top end wedding location. A lot of "London Type's" come this way for the country wedding, so hopefully I am likely to pick up a lot of good work

Fair enough, but I dont have any choice driving from Northants to the East Coast. I suppose to some extent I can dictate terms because no one else can do what we do.

Although at Beccles which I would say is a reasonably upmarket venue there was no room to set up early!!!!!!!!!!! No room at all!!!

Apparently they clear the room and the Bands/DJ whatever have to get in sharpish and set up--as I did.

Heres an alternative point of view----could it be that if people saw exactly how long it takes to get set up---and see the effort and expertise connecting everything up --followed by your blistering DJ performance they might think--crikey all that work, equipment, , loads of lighting and entertainment and we only paid him £550! EXCELLENT VALUE!

Sounds like they won the Lottery last night!

Just an alternative thought!

Yes your right about your area for Weddings --the Beccles gig was a load of Londoners ( pretty well off ones) not that I want that journey every week

Re the set up thing--I went to a very exclusive Hotel for a Wedding last year and the Disco arrived at about 5pm for a 6.30 start--nothing in advance--
    and they played there regularly---goodness knows why--so I guess custom differs between hotels and the preference of Wedding organisers etc.

Some Marquees are easy to set up in as they usually have the dance floor
    at one end away from guests so its easy to get in round the back or side --maybe not last night for you--must have been a bit cold though?

I understand its nice for the Hotel and the Band G to have all the equipment in place but its your time we are talking about--and thats valuable.

Unless you cost it in your price-- time, petrol etc which means another £50 to £100?

You then price yourself out of a gig that didnt need an early set up?

I think you have to be transparent over that.

Glad to hear you got the basic fee ok--My line is===

Another hour? Fine im happy to do that if you would like to give me £50 now in cash or cheque---yes ive done it---dont forget a lot of Hotels will have an account set up with the customer for incidentals and if they dont get paid they just get the solicitors on to it--not quite so easy for us guys is it?

Funny how these "top end" Wedding people clear off and dont pay you though?

No I wouldnt try and collect advance extra money--TELL THEM in writing if you want extra hours please bring your chequebook or enough cash to cover it---easy.

BETTER STOP HERE--IM WRITING YOUR BUSINESS PLAN

CRAZY K

I find that most of my top end stuff involves a quick set up during the room change around- apart from marquees. Danno had an early Marquee set-up yesterday near to me, so he popped in for a cuppa, late afternoon, to kill a little time - Locally its not a problem, longer distance can be a hassle, but I'd never contemplate two trips of more than 30 miles round trip.

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

[B]

Heres an alternative point of view----could it be that if people saw exactly how long it takes to get set up---and see the effort and expertise connecting everything up --followed by your blistering DJ performance they might think--crikey all that work, equipment, , loads of lighting and entertainment and we only paid him £550! EXCELLENT VALUE!

CRAZY K
    Ive had this loads even when i've taken out what I consider a small rig people saying "wow you have loads of equipment and I had no idea of the work that went into setting these up" and was praised by a venue last week for helping strip the tables so we could get in quicker during the room turn-round.... on the early set up thing very few venues round me will allow early set up particularly if there is a wedding breakfast in the same room.

twice now I have been asked to do early set-ups only to be called back and told the venue wont let us do it they say we can't have a top table if the disco sets up early
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote