Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Censoring Filter

Interestingly I would describe myself as pasionate and at times i get very pasionate in my posts. However I wouldn't consider myself open to swearing in a public forum, however one of my posts has been edited with the link simply stating that the edit was due to swearing.

Come on guys, this doesn't help me at all. You will surely realise that I had no intention of breaking rules, but without explaining what it was I did, how will I ever know?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps View Post
    Interestingly I would describe myself as pasionate and at times i get very pasionate in my posts. However I wouldn't consider myself open to swearing in a public forum, however one of my posts has been edited with the link simply stating that the edit was due to swearing.

Come on guys, this doesn't help me at all. You will surely realise that I had no intention of breaking rules, but without explaining what it was I did, how will I ever know?
    Hi Ricey,

I'll explain here.

Several times you posted swear words that had ***'s in place of some of the letters in the word. This contravenes the site rules.

We all make mistakes at times. I urge all of our members to have a quick re-read of the forum rules to see what's acceptable on the forum. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by DMX Will View Post
    Well it's clear that people arn't always going to follow the rules, and I would say that has been made clear!

So make life easier for yourself and edit the censor so it works properly! Why make life harder for yourself? It's complete stupidity to dismiss a valid suggestion to resolve an forum issue, simply by saying "well they shouldn't do it anyway".

Come on guys!
    You're solution is that we change the way things work because people won't follow the rules?.

Firstly, I'm dismissing nothing, I don't make the rules I only make sure they are followed. Changing aspects of the forum workings isn't something I'm authorised to do. If I was, I certainly wouldn't change things because members refuse to follow instructions.

If people cannot follow the forum rules it's up to me and the rest of the site staff to make an informed decision on the course of action. With regards to swearing (masked or not), these posts will be deleted from now on as I've continously asked people to abide by the forum guidelines we all have to adhere to.

All I'm asking as that people are careful not to post content that isn't permitted. It's not rocket science.

Just incase anyone's not had a chance to read the rules since they were updated. Here you go... Forum Rules
    Last edited by Shaun; 30-05-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: posts merged

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    You're solution is that we change the way things work because people won't follow the rules?.

Firstly, I'm dismissing nothing, I don't make the rules I only make sure they are followed. Changing aspects of the forum workings isn't something I'm authorised to do. If I was, I certainly wouldn't change things because members refuse to follow instructions.

If people cannot follow the forum rules it's up to me and the rest of the site staff to make an informed decision on the course of action. With regards to swearing (masked or not), these posts will be deleted from now on as I've continously asked people to abide by the forum guidelines we all have to adhere to.

All I'm asking as that people are careful not to post content that isn't permitted. It's not rocket science.

Just incase anyone's not had a chance to read the rules since they were updated. Here you go... Forum Rules
    Shaun,

You say why should you change the way "the forum works" because members don't follow the rules - fair play...I agree here. However you are changing the rules anyway, as you are now going to delete posts that don't follow the forum rules, rather than editing them.

At the end of the day, I've given what I would consider a valid suggestion to resolve the issue of swearing, which will also save you..the admin team time and effort. Aside from that, the current editing method draws attention to the fact that profanities were used in the post by marking them a size up, in bold and in red! The censor system, as you know puts in some subtle astericks.

Most minors these days know every word in the book anyway, I'm not suggesting that because of this the rule should be dropped, but having such large replacements for the "naughty words" is only going to get their mind thinking, however as I said, the censors astericks are considerably more subtle, and don't require any additional editing.

Now to be honest, I like you and we've always got on quite well, You've helped me out on occassion, and hopefully I've helped you somewhere down the line, however it just frustrates me when an idea such as this gets dissmissed without consideration on the basis that "members shouldn't do it anyway".

It's a bit like the council saying "we won't put a wall either side of that 50ft high bridge, as people should know not to jump/fall off. (Not a great example, but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at!).

Thanks for reading.

P.S. You say your not allowed to do anything without permission etc, could you clear up the difference between a Moderator and an Administrator please?
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

Shaun,

You say why should you change the way "the forum works" because members don't follow the rules - fair play...I agree here. However you are changing the rules anyway, as you are now going to delete posts that don't follow the forum rules, rather than editing them.
    I'm not changing any rules. Below is a quote from the forum guidelines. Although it states 'forum owners, it covers both admin and moderators also.

Quote Originally Posted by forum rules
    The owners of Mobile Disco Directory Forum reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread or post for any reason, and (if deemed necessary) to sanction any member following a breach of these rules.

Now to be honest, I like you and we've always got on quite well, You've helped me out on occassion, and hopefully I've helped you somewhere down the line, however it just frustrates me when an idea such as this gets dissmissed without consideration on the basis that "members shouldn't do it anyway".
    Will,

I've not taken anything personally, I like you too .

I'm not intentionally dismissing your points, it's just that changing forum settings is something that's down to the owners. Like I've stated though, I don't think things should be changed because people are breaking the rules. I do understand your points though.

P.S. You say your not allowed to do anything without permission etc, could you clear up the difference between a Moderator and an Administrator please?
    I didn't say I was allowed to do anything without the permission of the forum owners. I haven't been told I can't make the changes. The forum workings/settings and forum rules that have already been set by by the owners and as such I don't believe it's my place to alter/edit anything already put in place by them.

With regards to the difference between moderators and admin....there's very little difference really. Duties on the forum are identical but admin also take care of administration duties such as the directory listings and validating PLI and PAT uploads etc.
    Last edited by Shaun; 30-05-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Mountains and molehills come to mind tbpfh Will

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    tbpfh
    - Will Perkins

To be perfectly honest

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    I didn't say I was allowed to do anything without the permission of the forum owners. I haven't been told I can't make the changes. The forum workings/settings and forum rules that have already been set by by the owners and as such I don't believe it's my place to alter/edit anything already put in place by them.

With regards to the difference between moderators and admin....there's very little difference really. Duties on the forum are identical but admin also take care of administration duties such as the directory listings and validating PLI and PAT uploads etc.
    Sorry, I didn't mean "anything"! Thanks for clearing the other admin/mod thing up
    - Will Perkins

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    To be perfectly honest
    Where does the F come in!? lol in "perFectly"?
    - Will Perkins