Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contractual Obligations

"Roadieless"??? That should be added to the dictionary.

I don't get the whole roadie thing, I'd much rather do it all on my own like I have done but that's not a diss or anything....each to their own and all that.

Just an update. Bride just called, can't get hold of the company she booked, so has sent a letter asking for her money back and has booked us!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps View Post
    Just an update. Bride just called, can't get hold of the company she booked, so has sent a letter asking for her money back and has booked us!
    Result then...
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
    "Roadieless"??? That should be added to the dictionary.

I don't get the whole roadie thing, I'd much rather do it all on my own like I have done but that's not a diss or anything....each to their own and all that.
    Same here, Shakermaker.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Same here, Shakermaker.
    Honestly, once you've had one you will NEVER want to work without one, trust me!

Er...no, not at all. I am happy with the way I do things as they are mate.

Honestly, once you've had one you will NEVER want to work without one, trust me!
    I HAVE had one, Ricesnaps.

When I started out, I did discos with a friend, so for the first few years there were 2 of us to share the work (but also the money!).

I've also done 2 or 3 gigs in central London where my brother came along to help.

Having a roadie makes things incredibly quick & easy, but apart from the 2 or 3 gigs mentioned above, I've always done things on my own for the last 15 years.

One advantage is that you don't have to rely on others, they can't let you down...like you were let down for this Saturday.

From what you were saying, if you hadn't found a replacement, you'd have been in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    I HAVE had one, Ricesnaps.

When I started out, I did discos with a friend, so for the first few years there were 2 of us to share the work (but also the money!).

I've also done 2 or 3 gigs in central London where my brother came along to help.

Having a roadie makes things incredibly quick & easy, but apart from the 2 or 3 gigs mentioned above, I've always done things on my own for the last 15 years.

One advantage is that you don't have to rely on others, they can't let you down...like you were let down for this Saturday.

From what you were saying, if you hadn't found a replacement, you'd have been in trouble.
    Not in trouble, I would have managed, but maybe I am a little too used to it now. But hell, why shouldn't I be? Seems no reason to struggle and make do if you don't have to does there?

It's also worth pointing out that having a roadie (or indeed a "helper") is a huge huge selling point for me, particularly weddings. One of the concerns I often get is "what happens if you need to go to the toilet" or "what if something happens". Having someone else with you who can easily pop another track on or take requests or do the running for you when required, it put a lot of clients at ease. Nice for them to know that there will always be someone there to look after them and their guests
    Last edited by Ricesnaps; 07-06-2007 at 10:57 AM.

One of the concerns I often get is "what happens if you need to go to the toilet" or "what if something happens".
    There's always the Abba megamix

She had booked a chocolate fountain from another local company for her wedding on Saturday. Came home and found a message on her answerphone from the company saying something like:

"Just called to let you know that I have to go into hospital so I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to your wedding on Saturday"
    Going back to the original thread, emergencies & sudden illnesses cannot be avoided.

However, I don't agree with the way the original company dealt with the situation.

To say "I have to go into hospital so I'm not sure if I'll be able to make your wedding on Saturday" will only have one effect...to freak out the bride & make her start worrying big time, which is the last thing she needs. The fact that she can't get hold of them makes it even worse.

What I think they SHOULD have done was to leave a message saying something like "I have to go into hospital, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to your wedding on Saturday. I'm extremely sorry about this, but to to be on the safe side I'm reluctantly going to cancel the contract, and will send you a full refund when I'm out of hospital"

The bride then knows where she stands, and still has nearly a week to find an alternative supplier without being caused unnecessary additional worry.