Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody store their gear in their van in the garage.

Default Does anybody store their gear in their van in the garage.

Just wondering if anybody (or anyone's friends) store their gear in the garage?
    I am looking at possibly keeping my gear in the van in the garage over the winter with a storage heater but was just wondering if this is a ridiculous idea.Also what the insurance implications would be?

Many Thanks

yes.
    in the garage- covered in blankets.
    seems ok.
    i know others who have done it for years.
    insurance depends on policy.

The van always lives in our garage, full or gear - never had any problems. Oh other than the fact that once in the garage I can't actually open the door and get out! Currently have to push the last bit.

Anyone know of a cheap powered winch system I could use - can't do the last push alone and wife's pregnant now and not a good plan for her to help!

I think there are 3 things to consider when storing gear in your garage:

1) Insurance implications

2) Security...maybe not as good as if the gear's in the house.

3) Damp...and it's effect on your gear...especially those paper speaker cones!

If the insurance situation and security are fine, and you have some sort of heater for the winter...then go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    I think there are 3 things to consider when storing gear in your garage:

1) Insurance implications

2) Security...maybe not as good as if the gear's in the house.

3) Damp...and it's effect on your gear...especially those paper speaker cones!

If the insurance situation and security are fine, and you have some sort of heater for the winter...then go for it!

Although it's always sensible to check with your insurance company, how on earth can your gear me MORE secure? Locked inside an alarmed and imobilised can which is locked inside an alarmed garage which is additionally secured with massive "come and have a go if you think you're ghard enough" padlocks.

I think I'd much prefer that over my house!

It's not a heater you need it's a dehumidifier

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps View Post
    Although it's always sensible to check with your insurance company, how on earth can your gear me MORE secure? Locked inside an alarmed and imobilised can which is locked inside an alarmed garage which is additionally secured with massive "come and have a go if you think you're ghard enough" padlocks.

I think I'd much prefer that over my house!
    Ricesnaps,

The reason I said security MAY be not as good as if the gear is in the house is because not all vehicles are alarmed, not all garages are alarmed, not all vehicles have immobilisers and some garages are not attached to the house...but are in a block nearby.

I'm not so sure about having additional massive padlocks on a garage either...as it simply advertises the fact that there's something inside worth stealing!
    Last edited by rob1963; 09-06-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    It's not a heater you need it's a dehumidifier
    That's the one, Vectis!

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Ricesnaps,

The reason I said security MAY be not as good as if the gear is in the house is because not all vehicles are alarmed, not all garages are alarmed, not all vehicles have immobilisers and some garages are not attached to the house...but are in a block nearby.

I'm not so sure about having additional massive padlocks on a garage either...as it simply advertises the fact that there's something inside worth stealing!
    I'd like to see anyone get through my padlocks!

Also can't bothered with all that empty the van, load the van, stack it in ther house, load it in the van, empty the van, stack the gear in the house rubbish. Reverse it in, shut the door, lock and all ready for next week!

Thanks for all the tips guys.All useful so far