Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: PAT Question.

Default PAT Question.

Hi there, I have been told that brand new equipment (less than one year old) does not need PAT as it is tested before it leaves the factory. Can anybody tell me if this is true. Thanks in advance to any advice. Cheers, Ray.

Hi Ray

Welcome to the forum.

It's still a very grey area, but my chap who does the PAT here advises to get everything tested, even if it is brand new.

Eddie (Vibrant Sounds) will tell you about his experiences with brand new lighting and paint shortly, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Hi Ray

Eddie (Vibrant Sounds) will tell you about his experiences with brand new lighting and paint shortly, I'm sure.
    Think you've all but done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrant Sounds View Post
    Think you've all but done that.
    Blimey, that was quick...

Explain your story Eddie and it might give what I said a bit of meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Explain your story Eddie and it might give what I said a bit of meaning.
    Do tell......now i'm interested as well...
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Okay,

I am a qualified Portable Appliance Tester and have come across many items, particularly lighting effects (made in China) that fail the 'Earth Bond' test. This is usually due to the metal cases being hot dip painted after being folded and drilled prior to the electronic internals being fitted. This frequently means that there is sufficient resistance between the Mains Earth connection and the casing of the light to make it extremely dangerous should the case become live.

It is a relatively easy fix, scrape a bit of paint away from where the connection is made.

Really gripes my poo how many articles actually fail from new. I believe that all electrical appliances that qualify as portable appliances should when purchased come with a genuine PAT certificate and then if any problems are noted such as the one I have pointed out above (there are others) then the retailer could go back to the manufacturer and get it put right.

I contacted Prolight directly about their LED PAR56 lights ALL failing the PAT test, and they changed their manufacturing processes to make sure that future supplies do not fail the test.

I remember now.....still proves the point...
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"