Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding music requests

Default Wedding music requests

This year, I've had a couple of wedding clients who have asked their guests to send them requests for music before the big day so they can then pass these on to me. I had another booking today where the groom suggested the same thing.

Now I think this is a great idea, but it got me thinking.

What do you guys think about producing "guest request" forms to give to the couple to send out with there invites? Great chance to pop your own logo and contact details on so they all know who you are. Was thinking maybe the postcards from Vistaprint?

No what if I put my own address on the back with a space of a stamp so they can send them directly back to me?

I don't think it's a good idea full stop.

You'll get lists full of their favourite songs, rather than songs that will get people up and dancing.

This happened to me a few years ago when I was working through an agent - at least half of it was totally unplayable. Some great tunes on there, but a lot of 'listening' music rather than get people on the dance floor tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps View Post
    This year, I've had a couple of wedding clients who have asked their guests to send them requests for music before the big day so they can then pass these on to me. I had another booking today where the groom suggested the same thing.

Now I think this is a great idea, but it got me thinking.

What do you guys think about producing "guest request" forms to give to the couple to send out with there invites? Great chance to pop your own logo and contact details on so they all know who you are. Was thinking maybe the postcards from Vistaprint?

No what if I put my own address on the back with a space of a stamp so they can send them directly back to me?
    As you know Matt this is how I work at the few Weddings that I do.

The only thing that occurs to me is that if you get too many requests that are in your opinion likely to cause floor clearance is there a danger of people coming up to you and saying wheres my request for Toad by Cream

Dont you think probably the list you would normally get has probably been compiled with parents and friends in mind?

Its all very well to give people choice but basically no one wants a Wedding Reception where theres not much audience involvement but a lot of requests for obscure music no one dances to. ( Generally speaking )

It could end up like a Youth Club booking Everything from one extreme to another and no one dancing.

So here I am going against my own strategy but I think generally I would go down the route of some good previous suggestions which I recall were---

1. Print out a list of the B and G requests and keep it with you to show punters asking for requests. ( I do this)

2. If you feel its a good idea put a copy on every table in the room and invite requests from it, with your business card etc. ( I dont do this)

Anyway I dont have to worry Saturday--I will be in Flashing Dragonfly Juke Box mode--

I have been given--first two songs--last five songs in descending order

Three Disco slots --First, second and third sessions with tracks selected for each session inter mingled with Barn Dancing.

Must admit the music selected is brilliant--mainly 70s and 80s Disco-and I wont have to think = doh!!!!!!!!!

Its a good job I didnt pitch for this booking on the basis I could "read the floor"

Stand by to expect more of this approach I think. ( i.e. clients selections )

Have you considered putting your playlist on your website( like me) so like the modern Wedding Gift list you go to xyz website---just done that for a Wedding im going to--instead the bride and friends go to your site--even better advertising!!!!! to choose music and e mail you final choice--this is what I do now.

Dont waste time with paper forms--yeah I know marketing ploy--forget it--the world and his wife are on the net--

If people really rate your show they will get in contact anyway on the night or afterwards

regards

CRAZY K

Already have guest requests forms (from Vistaprint funnily enough) They are post-it notes with the logo and a bit of copy inviting the guests to jot down their request and hand it to the DJ. Usually stick 5 down every table before I start. They are post-its because I can then organise them easily enough on a clip board. Sometimes they work sometimes they dont. I really should get some cheap pens to put on the table though.
    Keith - Flex Discotheques
    www.flexdisco.co.uk

If you're going to do this, and in my opinion, you're best way of doing it is online. You'd simply need some way of authenticating the guests, perhaps they select the date hit OK, next screen asks them a question "what is the name of the bride?" - "who is the birthday party for?" etc, they then fill in the question.

System says:
    IF answer = correct forward them to a page which gives them two songs to request (any more than that is silly) - you'd also want a disclaimer that not every song will be played, implying that most won't. They hit send requests...you get an email or whatever. Job done. You store their IP address, and incorporate a system that won't let them add any more requests.

IF answer = wrong. Sorry you mucked it up...go away! or try again!

You could also easily impliment a system to list the requested songs by guests in your own little administration area.

Time to make this system? Couple of hours.
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

Quote Originally Posted by DMX Will View Post
    If you're going to do this, and in my opinion, you're best way of doing it is online. You'd simply need some way of authenticating the guests, perhaps they select the date hit OK, next screen asks them a question "what is the name of the bride?" - "who is the birthday party for?" etc, they then fill in the question.

System says:
    IF answer = correct forward them to a page which gives them two songs to request (any more than that is silly) - you'd also want a disclaimer that not every song will be played, implying that most won't. They hit send requests...you get an email or whatever. Job done. You store their IP address, and incorporate a system that won't let them add any more requests.

You could also easily impliment a system to list the requested songs by guests in your own little administration area.

I agree do it online--but I query whether inviting every guest to get involved is going to cause more problems than you can imagine--its all very well saying requests may not be played but isnt that a bit self defeating--people may think--I wont bother then ???

Then you get moaned at during the Wedding ?

See my comments POST 3 re-Youth Club Disco

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I don't think it's a good idea full stop.

You'll get lists full of their favourite songs, rather than songs that will get people up and dancing.

This happened to me a few years ago when I was working through an agent - at least half of it was totally unplayable. Some great tunes on there, but a lot of 'listening' music rather than get people on the dance floor tunes.
    Bang on.

Requests are either going to be tunes to dance to, or tunes to listen to, and seldom do the two meet

Quote Originally Posted by DMX Will

System says:

You've had way too much caffeine!!

System says:

I like the concept, would you mind too much if I used the idea as inspiration?.

If you're going to do this, and in my opinion, you're best way of doing it is online.
    Do you really think people would be that bothered?

Some people don't even want to be at the wedding, let alone choose music to be played!

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    I like the concept, would you mind too much if I used the idea as inspiration?.
    Oh-Oh! I smell an email coming my way

Shaun, there's no room left in your navigation!