Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asian Wedding

Default Asian Wedding

Have just recieved the paperwork for my first Asian wedding at the end of the month.

Have never done one before and as such was wondering if I could have some advice - what to play, format etc...

I'm not quite as daft as I sound. I have of course made it quite clear to the client that I am treating this as a bespoke booking and as such will require considerable input from them to make sure we get it completely right. The groom has already asked if he can supply me with a half hour pre-mixed CD of Asian music a friend will put together for him.

Just wanted make sure I at least have an idea before I meet with them

If you haven't found out from the client what they want, how on earth do you expect anyone here to know?!!!!

Just because they are Asian, it doesn't mean they are going to want Asian music - I have done several where they just wanted western music.

I would have thought that this was the first question you asked when you took the booking? I had a an enquiry for another one in December and he asked me if we could play Bhangra and I said we would need the music supplied and told what to play as we aren't experts and he was very happy with that. His fiance is going to discuss this with me pre-wedding, but this was all discussed before I took the booking.

I'd never take a booking and then find out that we couldn't provide what they wanted.

OK, now I knew that you guys call Asian what we call Indian, and that we call Asian what you call Chinese... have I got that right?

The last big Hindi wedding that I did I got given a whole pile of Hindi-Pop on CD. I raced through it on the 'phones and figured out which Western pop song had been plundered for the beats and then I paired them up with each other, played the Western song first, then the Hindi, kept both sides of the equation happy
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I would have thought that this was the first question you asked when you took the booking? I had a an enquiry for another one in December and he asked me if we could play Bhangra and I said we would need the music supplied and told what to play as we aren't experts and he was very happy with that. His fiance is going to discuss this with me pre-wedding, but this was all discussed before I took the booking.

I'd never take a booking and then find out that we couldn't provide what they wanted.
    I obviously don't make myself very clear these days do I?

Of course I have talked this through with the client BEFORE I took the booking. of COURSE I have explained that I will need considerable input from them and that they may need to provide some of the music if it is that specific. Why do you think I actually got the booking? Because I claimed I new all there was to know about Asian music and Asian weddings? Not at all, I got the booking because I DIDN'T claim to know it all BUT was very happy to work with the client. Oh and yes, they do also want me to play "western" music.

All I wanted was to do some homework before I met the client. I'm sure some of the other on here have played at this type of event before and would be more than happy to share there experiences.

Now let me ge write my lines:

I must learn to explain myself more clearly on a public forum

So what exactly are you wanting to know then Rice?

You said yourself you provide a bespoke service and have spoken to the client about music.

And you're right, you must......

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    So what exactly are you wanting to know then Rice?

You said yourself you provide a bespoke service and have spoken to the client about music.

And you're right, you must......
    Basically, this will be the first wedding of this type I have done. Really I guess I am interested to hear from anyone who has provided a disco for this type of wedding. Would love any advice, commetns or suggestions. I am of course going to discuss all the music with my client (which is why they booked me), but I currently know very little about indian music and am therefore keen to do some homework before I talk further with the client.

Hope that is a little clearer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps View Post
    Basically, this will be the first wedding of this type I have done. Really I guess I am interested to hear from anyone who has provided a disco for this type of wedding. Would love any advice, commetns or suggestions. I am of course going to discuss all the music with my client (which is why they booked me), but I currently know very little about indian music and am therefore keen to do some homework before I talk further with the client.

Hope that is a little clearer?
    Matt, all you do is treat this like the Your Choice Discos we have talked about---or even Ipod Weddings

Have your usual stuff ready to play---take on board carefully their requested CDs they supply and the order etc, in particular WHEN to play them and if fast or slow.

After that be guided by the client during the gig and interact with them as the evening goes on. I fInd it works fine---can we have another Barn Dance--stick on Scissors---some Louis Armstrong would be good--go with the flow like any other gig.

The only thing you really need to know is no nos musically in case it upsets people and if there are any particular customs to follow for this particular group of people--like First dance, Auld Lang Syne, Wedding Arch--ill bet different Asian people will have different requirements so I doubt if theres a "standard " approach.

I do this every week at Weddings--whether its Barn Dance or Indian Music makes no difference--you go with the flow--they will soon tell you if its wrong------

I havent done an Asian Wedding but ive played Asian Music at a Xmas party---WILD!!!!!!!!!!

If you got a USB reader you could put all their stuff on it and have it ready at your fingertips---no flaffing around with CDS!!!!!!

regards

CRAZY K

liked the way you slipped in the word wedding arch was that a referance to wembley or some other arch arrh we still dont get tired of the whole arch thing

As Steve would say, don't do a booking you can't give 100%.
    Good luck, even i'd pass on this one.
    Ok i'll stop bhangraing on
    Last edited by Thames Valley Discos; 08-08-2007 at 08:28 PM.

You never can tell - they might love Punjabi MC "Mundian To Bach Ke", or they could hate it because the decision to play it was purely a racial one.

I find that younger Asian kids generally love Hip-Hop and 2-Step and some techno/electro, the older they are the more Western cheese they want. Also see my previous comment about 'Hindi-Pop'.
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!