Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help, I'm a part time DJ, get me out of here

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Depends on your existing FIXED overheads Matt--Mortgage, Gas Electricity etc. by that I mean you cant say ill not bother with that--I know Mortgage Rates are likely to increase!

I reckon you need to have extra DJ units with equipment working with you ( like Daz and Steve amongst others) to make it viable--you cant be in 4 places at the same time-and maybe open a proper agency and pass work on.

The PA thing is viable if you are full time--have you got some savings to draw on if the going gets tough in the first 6 months?

All fairly basic stuff--you could do worse than talk to your local Business Link-they are very supportive for new businesses.

IF YOU WERE A SINGLE BLOKE WITH NO RESPONSIBILITES--ITS A NO BRAINER

CRAZY K
    I know and now I'm nearly a dad too!

You know what I would really like. I would love to be able to work hard at the DJing business over the next 12 months to get myself to a position where I could take the plunge. Is that unrealistic? I get enough work for a part timer right now - mainly just Saturday nights and I'm fairly well booked up, but I'm not getting calls everyday and turning work away left right and center. I am starting to pick up a few Friday nights (which I started doing more because I felt I might need a bit of extra when the baby is here), which I historically chose not to do because of the day job. Would the lots of hard work and a goal to leave the day job in 12 months be realisic and achievable (although I'm sure if you want something enough it'll always be achievable)
    Last edited by Shaun; 09-08-2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Removed ***'s

I totally agree with whats been said. Quitting my full time job was the best thing I have ever done. I used to sit on a train commuting to London thinking there must be more to life than this.

Quitting your full time job is scary as you worry about how you are going to pay the bills, buy food etc. but you adapt and get by. It is tough for a while - the first year is the worst while you are finding your feet.

Its amazing how many other doors open when you are not not working full time. I've always been interested in IT and now do some contract work for a local charity working with disabled people and teaching them IT skills. It is ideal for me because I can choose my hours and only work when I feel Like it. Being paid by the hour means I am free to come and go as I please so rather than sit around during the day, I am doing something else I enjoy.

I could never go back to working full time for someone else and lining someone else's pocket. Its almost like doing a prison sentence where the employer wants to dictate and control everything you do.

I am a lot more relaxed and happier than I ever was when working full time.

In my opinion, friday nights are the harder days to fill. I thought that when I started but now I do 4 different venues on each friday of the month so fridays are sorted now.
    If you could get yourself a guaranteed friday every week so you have 2 nights at least every weekend then I think you will make up your mind very quickly mate.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
    In my opinion, friday nights are the harder days to fill. I thought that when I started but now I do 4 different venues on each friday of the month so fridays are sorted now.
    If you could get yourself a guaranteed friday every week so you have 2 nights at least every weekend then I think you will make up your mind very quickly mate.
    What sort of Friday work do you get?

Did the club scene many years ago and would love to get back into a bit of that

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    I reckon you need to have extra DJ units with equipment working with you ( like Daz and Steve amongst others) to make it viable--you cant be in 4 places at the same time-and maybe open a proper agency and pass work on
    Operating an agency is a whole different ball game to what we do & with it comes a whole heap of rules & regs that you have to adhere to. If you can find somebody else to work for you with your equipment then it may just work, but I wouldn't advise going down the agency route unless you've done your research.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
    In my opinion, friday nights are the harder days to fill.
    Completely agree.

I get more SUNDAY gigs (4 this year) than Fridays.

From memory, I think I've only done 1 Friday gig all year...and none booked in.

I can't remember the last Friday I didn't work, & that's not all at our residency. Mainly weddings & a few birthdays.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

I work nearly every friday too, except for this month and september, when i only have a couple. Sundays.. i've had two all year
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

Quote Originally Posted by Danno13 View Post
    I work nearly every friday too, except for this month and september, when i only have a couple. Sundays.. i've had two all year
    Same here really, got my first Sunday booking this weekend, thats the only one for me!

Rice'.... Some are pubs/bars and some are private do's. The majority are the former though. It's worth checking out some venues near to you and asking about mate.

I haven't worked a sunday for a while now. The last one I did was a wedding and kids party on the same day. I have an enquiry for a christmas party on a monday night in October believe it or not.