Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CRB checks

Default CRB checks

Hi All

I tried doing a search but I couldn't find the threads that I was looking for, although I'm sure this question has 'done the rounds'.
    I know I can't CRB check myself, according to the CRB website. I'm a driving instructor and eventually the DSA is going to crb check driving instructors; so I can ask for a copy of my file, but until then, what do I do?
    Do YOU get asked for crb certificates when being booked for kids parties?
    I am looking to really get my mobile disco business going by 1st September and saturday afternoon childrens party/discos is an area that I will aim at (in addition to birthdays and weddings). Just wondered about the crb thing.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Key2 View Post
    Hi All

I tried doing a search but I couldn't find the threads that I was looking for, although I'm sure this question has 'done the rounds'.
    I know I can't CRB check myself, according to the CRB website. I'm a driving instructor and eventually the DSA is going to crb check driving instructors; so I can ask for a copy of my file, but until then, what do I do?
    Do YOU get asked for crb certificates when being booked for kids parties?
    I am looking to really get my mobile disco business going by 1st September and saturday afternoon childrens party/discos is an area that I will aim at (in addition to birthdays and weddings). Just wondered about the crb thing.

John
    It very much depends on who you are working for. A CRB check obtained from one organisation may not be valid for another organisation.

When you are CRB checked, there is a process where your identity is checked but there is no guarantee that the organisation that has done the CRB check has done it properly so another organisation may well want to do their own check. Also there are certain things that are not declared on the certificate such as pending investigations, these will be sent by separate letter to the organisation doing the check and will not be disclosed to any other third party so unless someone does the check themselves, they won't know about it.

Also the certificate is a bit like an MOT and is only really valid on the day it is issued so if the check is a couple of months old, it isn't really worth much.

If you are working with individuals and not organisation then any CRB certificate that you have from another organisation probably the best you can offer. Some organisations will do a CRB check for you under an umbrella arrangement. The local council might be able to help or some charities will do it (local one to me is called SAVO) but they will charge a fee.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    It very much depends on who you are working for. A CRB check obtained from one organisation may not be valid for another organisation.
    Thanks Tony. Do you (or the others) get asked about crb checks from mums and dads booking parties for their kids? I just wondered how to handle that situation. People (clients) hear about stuff like crb checks, but don't understand them, then ask questions when booking. Just wondered.

John

Youngest I do are 14 year olds and I have never been asked but I do have an enhanced CRB check through the Scout Association due to work I do for them.

When working with children, there are some golden rules to follow, make it clear at the outset that you must never be left in the room on your own with the children, there must always be another responsible adult person present. Children can say things to get you into trouble even if you didn't do anything and as far as the law is concerned where children are involved, you are guilty until proven innocent.

Also never touch them. The guidance is that you shouldn't touch them below the shoulders, but I try to avoid touching them at all. In case of an emergency such as an accident, try to make sure that there is another adult person with you if you have to administer any first aid. Its not always possible and sometimes you have to make a judgement call. If its a serious injury, you can't always wait for help to arrive before doing something.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    Youngest I do are 14 year olds and I have never been asked but I do have an enhanced CRB check through the Scout Association due to work I do for them.
    Thanks Tony. Just trying to 'be prepared'

John

I could be wrong, but I think you can go to the police station and request a check? It could just be for voluntary work, but someone has definitly said that to me at one point or another.

I'm CRB'd to work in a school, so I'd like to think that was good enough for most organisations (well at least for quoting it for disco use!)
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

would you need the crb check if working with anyone under the age of 18? i usually do a few school disco's but havent been asked for one yet. Do these crb checks cost at all???

Ive just had my CRB done through work and I think it was around £180.00

I`ll find out for sure....

Because my main job involves being in the presence of children under the age of 18, plus vunerable adults (?), my employeer made it clear that everyone in my situation MUST be CRB checked.

Needless to say it was all clear, and something else worth mentioning when doing under 18 gigs for clients..

Shaun

this starting to get a little expensive. So lets say £180 for a crb check, upto £160 for PLI and what ever the price for PAT just to be legal and safe. i know its a requirement but still?????

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Enemy View Post
    this starting to get a little expensive. So lets say £180 for a crb check, upto £160 for PLI and what ever the price for PAT just to be legal and safe. i know its a requirement but still?????
    And then, of course, paying for licences to actually 'play music'.