Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Increasing Buisness

Default Increasing Buisness

I have had a look but couldnt' find anything with what i am going to ask but if there is already a thread then please link me.

After being on here for a short time i have noticed that most member on here usually have a few disco's a week or are busy every weekend.

Is there anyway i can increase my buisness. I am in the process of designing a website, not a myspace. i think it would look more professional aswell. hope this helps anyway. I have all the equipment i just need to use it. . My next disco is november time and i wanted to know if there is anything i can do to get more. i have given out tons of buisness cards at discos i have done, thats becuase people have asked for them but havent had any phone calls since.

Any tips or ideas
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 17-08-2007 at 05:31 PM.

There are lots of ways to market yourself.

I would suggest that those of us who are out most weeks and seem reasonably successful have work at getting there and were at one point just like you.

A web site is a great start - but make sure you get yourself linked. The directory maximiser service you see advertised as a banner on here is a great way to get a good Google ranking. Make sure you buy a domain AND go for paid hosting. The free stuff really isn't the right image!

Otherwise, promote yourself locally as much as you can. Think about your prices - sometimes it's just as well to go out cheap to start with so you build up a reputation and then you can start building a realistic fee.

I've just started writing to local venues and posting out flyers to promote myself. Maybe you could arrange to visit them and see if you can be recomended. I'm afraid everything costs money at the start and some well produced fliyers or leaflets are vital if you go down this route.

Finally from me, why not see if there are any local agencies you could aproach. There's nothing wrong with doing agency work and it can be quite well paid and regular if you are good at what you do. Only downside is that you sometimes have to wait to get paid after the gig, but check out the individual terms. I did a lot of agency work when I moved back to this area to build myself up (and unfortunately the only person you can promote at an agency gig is the agency!). Now I pick up maybe 2 or three a year from agents.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps View Post

(1) Make sure you buy a domain AND go for paid hosting.

(2) sometimes it's just as well to go out cheap to start with so you build up a reputation and then you can start building a realistic fee.

(3) I've just started writing to local venues and posting out flyers to promote myself.

(4) Finally from me, why not see if there are any local agencies you could aproach.

1. Thats what i was going to do anyway. also i wanted a specefic web address anyway. dead easy to remember too

2. i was going to be cheap to start off also. there are a few dj's locally who charge a bomb and after looking at there rig and preformance they dont seem worth paying all that money. my opinion.

3. this might be a daft idea but i was thinking about running off some a5 or a6 size paper and do a door to door, throught the letter box thing. might help.

4. what are agencies. sorry.
    Last edited by Tom; 17-08-2007 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Enemy View Post
    1. Thats what i was going to do anyway. also i wanted a specefic web address anyway. dead easy to remember too

2. i was going to be cheap to start off also. there are a few dj's locally who charge a bomb and after looking at there rig and preformance they dont seem worth paying all that money. my opinion.

3. this might be a daft idea but i was thinking about running off some a5 or a6 size paper and do a door to door, throught the letter box thing. might help.

4. what are agencies. sorry.
    Point three is a complete waste of money - tried it myself and it's hard work for no return. Write letters to venues, local clubs, societies etc...

Not sure if I am alowed to pop a link to the agent I work for sometimes, so I won't until I'm told I can! Basically an agent is a company who advertisce, promote and actively go out looking for entertainment work. Some just promote DJ's, some also promote bands, magicians etc... An agent doesn't actually DJ or play ina band (generally), but has a list of DJ's and other acts that they can give work to when it comes in. They generally spend a lot of money advertising, attending shows and get contract work with hotels. The benefit for a client with an agency is usually that they won't be let down. Say an agent calls you and offers you a gig on Saturday week, on the Friday you come down with a bug and call to say you can't do the gig, the agent will then find another DJ (hopefully) to do it instead. In a nutshell, an agency gets work and then has DJ's who do it for them. Remember most agencies expect you to work on a self employed basis and usually you are not obligated to work for them exclusively (meaning you are free to go and look for your own work). The only rule usually is that you can't take a gig in your own name from either a client you have worked for through the agency or for a venue you have worked for through the agency.

It's also worth pointing out that the better agencies will insist on PLI and PAT and generally have a specific dres code you have to adopt when working for them

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps View Post
    The only rule usually is that you can't take a gig in your own name from either a client you have worked for through the agency or for a venue you have worked for through the agency.

As im thick and i dont understand this let me ask what i think it is.

Lets say "joe bloggs" asks for a dj through an agency and i get the gig. i do the disco and thats the end of that. now lets say "joe bloggs" asks for me but not through the agency but on the phone from him to me. i have to say no because i have worked with him through the agency???

is this correct of have i got the wrong end of the stick. but if it is right why cant i do this then??? just out of intrest. plus cant you send a pm of the agency or would you still get in trouble???

Go for it Matt
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Network with other DJs. Offer to roadie for local people. Get involved.

This is the best way to build up contacts and then eventually get work out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Offer to roadie for local people.

i wanna get involved but i dont like the idea of working with someone else. i like to setup the gear and use it, not just set it up and leave it at that. i also like plya music and get the crowd up but as a roadie i cannot do this. . i would probelly tell them how to setup there gear even though they know how to do it plus i wouldn't like it myself if it was my gear. but i do want to get involved with other dj's and maby have a recomend list on my website with what dj prefers to play or do eg wedding, 18th, 21st and 40th or 50's n 60's music.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Network with other DJs. Offer to roadie for local people. Get involved.This is the best way to build up contacts and then eventually get work out of it.

You should also listen to what Ricesnaps is saying....very good advise. (to much there to quote Rice!!)
    As I have done most of that and only now reaping the rewards from March this year......it is a long slog but once the ball is rolling it just seems to take off....keep at it....

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Enemy View Post
    i wanna get involved but i dont like the idea of working with someone else.
    Don't treat it as working....look on at as learning and networking....you are never to old to learn new tricks......
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Very true.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries