Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: 0845 or 0800 number?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0845 number (local rate, free to me)

1 14.29%
  • 0800 number (free to client, £5 a month to me)

6 85.71%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 0845 or 0800 number?

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Of the two options, I think an 0800 number is best - simply because everyone knows it's free to call. As already stated, when you start talking about any other codes such as 0845, most people don't have a clue about the charges...so it could actually be counter-productive.

Personally, I don't use either. My website displays my landline, mobile and email address...so clients can choose how they contact me.

I doubt if I'm losing any business by not having a freefone number.

I wonder how many clients who see a normal landline number on a disco website would say "I'm not calling them because they don't have a freefone number...and there's no way I'm paying 2p or 3p a minute to speak to them on a normal landline"

Probably not very many.

but that is kind of my point.
    people dont get put off by calling and paying for a landline, so whats the point in paying for a freephone when that could put people off, but they have to pay for anyway as it isnt free from their mobile?

i really think there are more important things to worry about and spend your money on.
    like whether the actual disco is any good.

Quote Originally Posted by wensleydale View Post
    isn't what a case...
    If you want something & your only point of contact is a freephone number (which are usually tied to a landline, but not always), you won't use the company.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

but that is kind of my point.
    people dont get put off by calling and paying for a landline, so whats the point in paying for a freephone when that could put people off, but they have to pay for anyway as it isnt free from their mobile?

i really think there are more important things to worry about and spend your money on.
    like whether the actual disco is any good.
    Well I've set out what I've observed based on y/e 2006/07. Web-based enquiries up to 52% (increase of 8% on 2005/06). Balance by phone, vast majority via 0800. So it works for me.

And based on my feedback, I consider my actual disco is very good

How well-known as free are 0808 numbers?
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    If you want something & your only point of contact is a freephone number (which are usually tied to a landline, but not always), you won't use the company.
    its not that i wont use them, just less likely- if you are trying to get people to call then you have to realise that it may cause people not to call too.

car insurance is a good example- if i am ringing round on my mobile i will ring ones with geographic no's first as my mobile doesnt charge me for these- i dont want to call a particular company - just get some quotes- similar scenario as wills example is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Personally, I don't use either. My website displays my landline, mobile and email address...so clients can choose how they contact me.
    Same here......if they ring my mobile....i ring them back, i take the charge.

i really think there are more important things to worry about and spend your money on. like whether the actual disco is any good.
    Buy that man a beer....

I dont get it........
    Land line and mobile.....What's in a number....??

My land line and mobile work fine why complicate things.....i just don't get it.
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Same here......if they ring my mobile....i ring them back, i take the charge.

Buy that man a beer....

I dont get it........
    Land line and mobile.....What's in a number....??

My land line and mobile work fine why complicate things.....i just don't get it.
    I think I made this point on another thread. The reason we have an 0845 number was in the firt place, simply because we didn't want to advertise our personal home number, but also didn't want a 2nd line put in.

What's in a number - well I guess that's what we all want to know. Is it the numbere that puts people off calling?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps View Post
    I think I made this point on another thread. The reason we have an 0845 number was in the firt place, simply because we didn't want to advertise our personal home number, but also didn't want a 2nd line put in.

What's in a number - well I guess that's what we all want to know. Is it the numbere that puts people off calling?
    I have two land lines and a mobile as well as 4 e-mail's.....adding another number will add to confusion...IMO

Still not convinced.

I dont advertise my home number......i advertise another land line number....if that gets abused....i guess that's what your getting at or part of it.
    I change....all i'm in for then is business cards and a duff YP's.....

Sorry still don't get it......
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    I have two land lines and a mobile as well as 4 e-mail's.....adding another number will add to confusion...IMO

Still not convinced.

I dont advertise my home number......i advertise another land line number....if that gets abused....i guess that's what your getting at or part of it.
    I change....all i'm in for then is business cards and a duff YP's.....

Sorry still don't get it......
    It's not a case of being convinced or not convinced. What I'm actually getting at it what practical difference do differnt types of numbers make? Like the best of us I have a "land line" (albeit an 0845, a mobile and an email, all advertised. That's really not what I am getting at here. Sure they work, but what difference would say changing the 0845 to an area coded number do?

Would it mean I got lots more good quality enquiries?
    OR would it mean I got lots more local and can't afford my prices enquires?

What about an 0800 number in preference to the 0845:

Does that put off most people?
    Would it generate muich more higher end enquires
    OR would it simply generate price war people

Which leaves 0845 numbers.

Now I know I get calls on this, but would I get more calls if it was an 0800 number or a local landline? Or actually doesn't it make a **** bit of difference?

You see, personally I see 0800, 0845 and the like as being much bigger and national type companies. So if I was in the market for something big and high quality, or I wanted the cheapest car insurance quote I would call the 0800 or 0845. However if I wanted the washibng machine fixed, I'd try the local man first every time.

See what I'm getting at?

You could always go for a new 0844 number, this way, you get paid for taking the call. Alot of companies are now taking this up as it's a money making exercise.
    Steve