Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: 0845 or 0800 number?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0845 number (local rate, free to me)

1 14.29%
  • 0800 number (free to client, £5 a month to me)

6 85.71%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 0845 or 0800 number?

Default 0845 or 0800 number?

Poll above.

I've just been reading another thread (Thanks to Vectis for the Skycom link) and I'm 99% sure I'd be better off with a 0845 or 0800 number, rather than my current 07005 number (which isn't actually a mobile number).

So what are your views, according to the skycom web site I can have an 0800 number for £5 a month with 250 mins included, and a low rate after that (no setup fee).

Or an 0845 number, with £15 setup fee, but free (from what I can see)...

Your views/comments please....
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

EVERYONE knows that an 0800 is free. There is confusion around other non-geo numbers... stop 100 people in the street and ask them how much an 0845 call costs and most will have no idea. Some will think it's a premium rate number.

My 0800 bill from Skycom rarely exceeds £5 pm and all my calls are diverted to mobile. If a call looks like being a long one, just take a number and call them back on a more favourable tariff.

I vote 0800.

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    EVERYONE knows that an 0800 is free. There is confusion around other non-geo numbers... stop 100 people in the street and ask them how much an 0845 call costs and most will have no idea. Some will think it's a premium rate number.

My 0800 bill from Skycom rarely exceeds £5 pm and all my calls are diverted to mobile. If a call looks like being a long one, just take a number and call them back on a more favourable tariff.

I vote 0800.
    Thanks,

you said in your other post that you pay a £1 a month service fee, is there a clever way of removing the standard £4.95 a month fee and reducing it if forwarding to a mobile?
    - Will Perkins

Not sure mate. I know I'm on some kind of 'low usage' tariff so I pay £1 per month then a per-minute rate, no 'bundled' minutes. I think my setup was £15 because I wanted to divert to mobile. If you only divert to landline you can avoid this. And don't think you can set it up as a landline and change it later... as soon as you 'promote' it you get the charge. It's only one-off though.

The number system and prices are changing soon so may be worth holding off buying any!

It used to be 0870 was national and 0845 was local and then 0800 was free but this is all changing... Well the 0845 and 0870 side of things anyway.

0845 and 0870 will no longer be local and national and i've heard 0845 will actually work out more expensive than 0870 to call but not seen any prices yet.

A new number starting 03 will also be introduced into the number system during September. This is for businesses who want a national presence but don't want the stigma and distrust that is associated with 0845 and 0870 numbers these days. 0345 numbers will be for companies looking to transfer their existing 0845 numbers to the 03 number system...

Whether it really will make any difference though is anyone's guess...

Probably the safest option for not changing and people knowing the cost of would be 0800 but it all depends on if you are happy to pay for the call costs rather than the person ringing.
    Last edited by jamesh; 25-08-2007 at 01:52 PM.
    UK EVENT SERVICES.CO.UK
    * Photo Video Guestbooks & Video Booths *

Based in Worcestershire and covering across the UK - Tel: 08456 43 48 49

Quote Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
    The number system and prices are changing soon so may be worth holding off buying any!

It used to be 0870 was national and 0845 was local and then 0800 was free but this is all changing... Well the 0845 and 0870 side of things anyway.

0845 and 0870 will no longer be local and national and i've heard 0845 will actually work out more expensive than 0870 to call but not seen any prices yet.

A new number starting 03 will also be introduced into the number system during September. This is for businesses who want a national presence but don't want the stigma and distrust that is associated with 0845 and 0870 numbers these days. 0345 numbers will be for companies looking to transfer their existing 0845 numbers to the 03 number system...
    He doesn't lie... http://www.skycomuk.com/03_uk_wide.php

I'm thinking 0800 anyway - will I not be affected if I choose an 0800 number?
    - Will Perkins

0800sarent free from mobiles which most people use a lot of the time nowadays therefore i cant see the advantage of them.
    i really dont think this is an issue- same as po boxes.
    i use my mobile and never have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DMX Will View Post
    He doesn't lie... http://www.skycomuk.com/03_uk_wide.php

I'm thinking 0800 anyway - will I not be affected if I choose an 0800 number?
    You just edited your post with the answer - thanks!
    - Will Perkins

I vote 0800.
    What he said.
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!

I vote 0800.
    but it isnt always free if you call from a mobile- in fact you often have to pay and cant use your inclusive minutes, so i avoid 0800 numbers or goodle for a geographic number.

it could therefore lose you business.