Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: 0845 or 0800 number?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0845 number (local rate, free to me)

1 14.29%
  • 0800 number (free to client, £5 a month to me)

6 85.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 0845 or 0800 number?

Quote Originally Posted by wensleydale View Post
    but it isnt always free if you call from a mobile- in fact you often have to pay and cant use your inclusive minutes, so i avoid 0800 numbers or goodle for a geographic number.

it could therefore lose you business.
    But again, do that many people know it's not going to be free, I think an 0800 is better than my current 07005961520 number.

The only thing with Skycom is, at the moment I have a fax to email solution from dmClub, with a 1 instead of the last 0, so in effect I have a pair or matching numbers, one for our switchboard, and one for fax.
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

Quote Originally Posted by DMX Will View Post
    But again, do that many people know it's not going to be free, I think an 0800 is better than my current 07005961520 number.

The only thing with Skycom is, at the moment I have a fax to email solution from dmClub, with a 1 instead of the last 0, so in effect I have a pair or matching numbers, one for our switchboard, and one for fax.

Yes- when I call 0800 I get an annoying message telling me I will be charged, twice, which adds about 15 seconds to actually speaking to someone - I know I get charged- I'm not stupid and dont need reminding every time I make an 0800 call.

I would seriuously just stick with a normal phone no. never had a problem.

just stick with a normal phone no.
    Fine if you're there to answer it and not trying to juggle several businesses. Mine is more about the ability to program call routing than anything else, although the 'Freefone 0800' does stand out from the crowd of mobile numbers in the directories and gives a more professional image I think. Joe Public feels he's dealing with a reputable company rather than a fly-by-night.

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    Fine if you're there to answer it and not trying to juggle several businesses. Mine is more about the ability to program call routing than anything else, although the 'Freefone 0800' does stand out from the crowd of mobile numbers in the directories and gives a more professional image I think. Joe Public feels he's dealing with a reputable company rather than a fly-by-night.
    again, i would argue that it could be seen like a po box as something you are hiding behind- if you have a geographic no at least people know where you are roughly. you can always divert anyway.

just an opinion but i would be inclined to call any 0800 last, not call at all, or look for a non 0800 no for the company and get fed up in the process.

Isn't that a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face?
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

isn't what a case...

maybe the answer here is offer all 3- freephone, mobile and landline.
    than people can choose what they want...

maybe the answer here is offer all 3- freephone, mobile and landline.
    than people can choose what they want...
    Agree 100%.

On my contact form I offer freefone, mobile, typetalk, landline, fax, email, online enquiry form and live chat. About half of initial enquiries come via email/online enquiry. The remainder are by phone with the vast majority coming via 0800. Occasionally someone calls one of the other numbers but not very often. Maybe 1 in 10.

A landline is out of the question for me tbh, I've had a free service with my 07005 number, till now, and I cannot justify the cost of a 2nd landline in my house, which will then route out via my server, down the internet to my mobile - thats just silly.

I'm going to go with the 0800 i think, i'm just waiting for the skycom call center to open on tuesday, so I can discuss a few things with them
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

Of the two options, I think an 0800 number is best - simply because everyone knows it's free to call. As already stated, when you start talking about any other codes such as 0845, most people don't have a clue about the charges...so it could actually be counter-productive.

Personally, I don't use either. My website displays my landline, mobile and email address...so clients can choose how they contact me.

I doubt if I'm losing any business by not having a freefone number.

I wonder how many clients who see a normal landline number on a disco website would say "I'm not calling them because they don't have a freefone number...and there's no way I'm paying 2p or 3p a minute to speak to them on a normal landline"

Probably not very many.