Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help - Advice Needed

Default Help - Advice Needed

Hi Everyone,

Just a wee message to say Hello. My names David and im so to enter into the world on mobile discos in perth, scotland.

Couple of questions for:

1) Where is the best place to get some basic equipment to start with. I would say I have a budget of about £1000 and have seen a couple of websites offering packages which seem good. Is getting second had stuff from ebay etc a better idea?

2) i'm thinking of using the name 'X-Press Discos' as far as I can see its not being used, what do you think?

3) In your experience what is the most cost effective way of advertising?

4) Im wanting to keep on my full time just for the time being, is it possible to do this and still be self employed for business puropses?

any other hints and tips to help me on my way would be great.

Thanks,

David May

Welcome to the forum and the world of mobile disco's!

My personal opinion for your questions are.....

1) I use a company called electromarket. They are, IMO, the best place for the beginner and have loads of deals available, I wish I'd known about them when I started. Visit their website at http://www.electromarket.co.uk

2) I like the name

3) Window cling on your car, probably the best and cheapest form of advertising.

4) Simple answer, yes, I too hold down a full time job as well as running my own business.
    Steve

hi and welcome

1. i personally like to get my sound gear from new not second hand as you then get all the relevant assurances and pieces of paper if it goes wrong , lighting i have bought off ebay and never had a problem toch wood. my advice would be get hold of the best possible sound equipment you can with lighting being a secondary consideration,

2. personally dont like the name as to me it conjours up smething that is done quickly ... maybe rushed / budget. just my personal opinion.

express photo
    express delivery
    etc.

advertising ..... local paper to get a few gigs under your belt internet directories i spent two days listing in as many as i could find. website someone on here recently got one set up for about 100 quid or so of course cant comment on quality / visibility but when you are just starting i understand that cost is an issue.
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote

Hi David welcome to the forum.My advice to your questions is

1)Try and get along to your local dj shop ,have a look at a few things see what you like before you buy.I always would reccomend buying new.If you can buy from the shop ,then if you have any problems you can take it back.If however you buy from the internet if anything goes wrong then you will have to pay the costs of returning the goods to the company.

2) Your proposed company name sounds good to me stick with it.

3)As for advertising hand out as many business cards as you can to anyone and everyone.Get your self a good website,when you have one you can advertise in all the free listings companies.Visit all schools , clubs, hotels and let them know who you are and what you can offer them.

4) Yes i would still keep your day job untill your diary fills up.Remember to register yourself with the tax office as being self employed as x - press disco.

Good luck

Hi David and welcome.

X-Press Discos sounds fine to me.

Have a look round the forum for answers and opinions on the gear.

Hello and welcome...
    Pu................enjoy yourself on this happy and freindly forum...ask away...we won't bite......

Can you fix the carpet now Darren please..............
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Hello and welcome...
    Pu................enjoy yourself on this happy and freindly forum...ask away...we won't bite......
    LMAO. Just wiping tea off my monitor.

Try Terralec for full kit outs at good prices!! www.terralec.co.uk
    The kit comprises:
    1 x MH203W Moon flower
    1 x MH-203 Coloured flower
    1 x PENGUIN moving barrel effect
    1 x PENGUIN-M moving mirror effect
    1 x LG21 Stand
    1 x CD 56325 Mixer CD combo
    1 x PSX-715 Amp & Speakers
    1 x Z80 Fog machine
    1 x FF1 Fog Fluid
    1 x JB10 Microphone
    1 x Headphones
    Plus connecting leads
    Product code : PRO700

http://www.terralec.co.uk/audio_syst...m/23364_p.html all that for £999!!!

I wouldn't bother with a 'starter package' You'll get much better it and better value by getting items individually and gradually. The lighting in that package is not really up to scratch either, when you consider that you can get the better led versions for not very much money.

Look around, get ideas of makes, models and prices, and then start getting the best price on what you want.

for lights have a look at acme and for speakers people rate peavey and mackie on here