Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Text Talk, bad spelling, poor grammar, and literacy laziness.

I understand where your coming from.

When I tell people I'm dyslexic and dyspraxic they either laugh it off or say 'In my day there wasn't such a thing. You were either thick or clever.'

I use Google Chrome (it has a spell checker) other wise my posts would be dreadful.

There are a lot of English wizards on the forum, who, (I think) find it hard to accept that 'dyslexia' is a genuine difficulty to some people.

I remember when I reluctantly had to play sports at school and the other lads would get so frustrated with me when I couldn't do something simple...like catch a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by ronedjs View Post
    I get what you are all saying, but guess what, im going to play the dyslexia card. (report attached)

I try extremely hard to make sure that my spelling is correct. (I am also working on my grammar and punctuation but I am finding it really hard to understand). I have even changed over to Mac's so that I can highlight the text and it reads it out to me.

But does it really matter that much if people slip up a few times on a forum. Its a place to chat to others and pass on knowledge and advice not an English Exam! I recently had one of my posts picked up by admin because i put 'U' instead of 'you'. know i appologise for this but does it really need to be highlighted in red with a "Admin: Text talk isn't permitted. Please read the forum rules for clarification." at the bottom of the post.

This does knock your confidence a bit.

What happens when you reply to customers emails? Type what you want to say run a spell checker and your good to go. Forum shouldnt be any different.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I know what your saying but i though forums were a place to have a chat (like a virtual pub, people could say what they want it might not be perfect English but it doesn't matter, your in the company of fellow DJs).

Obviously this forum doesn't run like that and thats fine but it makes posting things (for people with a disability) harder and makes you conscious on what others might think of you because you find it hard to spell.
    Mobile Discos | Quiz Nights | Race Nights
    RONEDJS.CO.UK

Quote Originally Posted by ronedjs View Post
    Obviously this forum doesn't run like that and thats fine but it makes posting things (for people with a disability) harder and makes you conscious on what others might think of you because you find it hard to spell.

I think people can cope with a few spelling mistakes etc.

Things like this annoy me...

Quote Originally Posted by DAVESOUNDS SERVICES View Post
    Think we can cover that one together in the New Year??

I recon so Martin!
    Night Night !

PS It was HEAVING!!!!Very busy!!!
    Hiya Mr Fluid
    Yes ive been a laptop DJ since taking the plunge one night in 2000 and ive ALLWAYS used Windows media player.
    Its Stable / Has a good Graphic EQ / Has reasonable compression and auto levelling /and has a crossfader ..also i can save playlists ( i dont cause thats boring ) and easy to drop "Instant" requests into.
    Ive tried virtual dj / Pc Dj and several others and i dont really get on with em
    Whats wrong with media player ?
    surely all that a dj requires is MUSIC to play in Sequence in a reliable and stable manner and that what i get from windows media player
    As ive done thousands of gigs with it its never even hesitated or annoyed me once
    And i must say ive around 5 or so laptops and some certainly arent state of the art! but all are great with Windows Media Player.

Oh and the wifes just reminded me no one want to steal them!!!!

DAVE

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post

I think people can cope with a few spelling mistakes etc.

Things like this annoy me...
    Thanks you Charlie!
    And a happy new year to YOU!

DAVESOUNDS
    DAVESOUNDS DISCO PUBLIC ADDRESS & PAT TESTING SERVICES BASED IN WAKEFIELD

"It didnt do that the last time i plugged it in!"

http://www.davesounds.co.uk/

Thanks you Charlie!
    And a happy new year to YOU!

DAVESOUNDS
    Sorry, I didn't mean it in a bad way.

It's the structure of your posts? RaNdom CAPITAL letters etc?

Sorry.

which bit of not thinking before you post don't you understand charlie?

not long before you upset everybody big time.

for gods sake think before you post fella.
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member

Just to add my 10p,

I can often screw up a post...and I'm not the sharpest speller in the box (although, sometimes I can blame the wireless keyboards batteries...but often its just my fingers not being able to keep up with my brain ).

However, by knowing that I have to get it right on the forum, its forcing me to improve overall which can only be of benefit to my business.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I understand where your coming from.

When I tell people I'm dyslexic and dyspraxic they either laugh it off or say 'In my day there wasn't such a thing. You were either thick or clever.'

I use Google Chrome (it has a spell checker) other wise my posts would be dreadful.

There are a lot of English wizards on the forum, who, (I think) find it hard to accept that 'dyslexia' is a genuine difficulty to some people.

I remember when I reluctantly had to play sports at school and the other lads would get so frustrated with me when I couldn't do something simple...like catch a ball.

I am also Dyslexic and dyspraxic. I always have to type my posts on here r-e-a-l-l-y slowly to make sure i don't make any spelling mistakes.

Also my dyslexia is so bad now i have to type all my A-level exams. some people look at you as if you are an idiot just cause you say you are dyslexic.

BUT. Could an idiot run their (I hope this is the right one, I always get confused about this one) own company ??

Ok i get it its about practice makes perfect. And i agree i have improved (very slowly) over time with my spelling through practising. But its the way its highlighted for all to see.

I understand why there are rules and i don't want to be seen to be challenging them because im not (well i suppose i am really) but i think disabilities need to be taken in to consideration, and highlighting people mistakes for the world to see isn't fair. maybe a PM just to inform the individual about their mistake (in a constructive way, not just refer to the rules) would be a better way. And if the English Boffins of the forum find it annoying then that much let them change the word spelt wrong on the post.
    Mobile Discos | Quiz Nights | Race Nights
    RONEDJS.CO.UK