Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visuals

Default Visuals

I've finally got my sound and lighting to a point where I'm happy. Next step for me is to add visuals to my set-up, the problem I have is I don't have a clue where to start. I'd like to run visuals but also have the option of overlaying text and custom graphics (on the fly) over the visuals or footage on DVD.

I'm guessing I'll need a laptop , but what software would you recommend to acheive the results I need?.

Additionally, would you recommend a projector based system or LCD tv's?. Maximum budget I'm looking at is around £2.5k.

Any help, guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

I've just purchased OtsAV, which does music, karaoke and video. Not sure how much you can do in terms of overlays / graphics etc. Worth a look though.

I would go for projectors, with a short throw lens.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    I've finally got my sound and lighting to a point where I'm happy. Next step for me is to add visuals to my set-up, the problem I have is I don't have a clue where to start. I'd like to run visuals but also have the option of overlaying text and custom graphics (on the fly) over the visuals or footage on DVD.

I'm guessing I'll need a laptop , but what software would you recommend to acheive the results I need?.

Additionally, would you recommend a projector based system or LCD tv's?. Maximum budget I'm looking at is around £2.5k.

Any help, guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    You can do everything you've mentioned in Virtual DJ Shaun. You can run music vids, visuals, run slideshows, use live feed cameras, pictures, graphics, logos....etc etc

Shame you're up there as I'd love to 'pop' over and show you!

If you are going to use projectors, then think about space. A minimum of about 12 feet is required for rear projecting to get a decent sized picture on your screen or as Jamie says get a projector with a wide angled lens. They are more expensive, but in hindsight I wish I'd bought one. If you are front projecting, again, you need to think about space.

LCDs and plasmas can be had for around £500 for a cheapie. The only problem there is where to store them and also the flightcasing, which is very expensive. But you don't have the problem of space when putting them up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Whitehouse View Post
    I would go for projectors, with a short throw lens.
    Ditto.

I use R4 as my engine, on a seperate laptop. Abstract sound-to-light graphics, video playback (including themes and shadowdancers), text overlays, live video feed playback. The best £200 I ever spent. Needs a reasonably good laptop with a decent graphics chip. I use a Dell Inspiron 9400.

See my thread on Cheap Rear Projection Screens for how to get running on the cheap - I now have 3 of these - the one huge one as described in the thread and two smaller 6' screens. And I've modified a prolight deckstand to take one or two screens easily, and setup time is about +5 minutes per screen.

With rear project onto a 6' screen you can get away with a standard projector lens - I need about 6 to 7' clearance at the rear which is about right for most venues. I do have one PJ with a short throw lens but it was very expensive Like £800 instead of the £250 ones!

Pics coming soon.

Thanks for the sound advice guys. No doubt I'll be picking your minds at a later date.

Looking forward to the pics, Martin.

Hi Martin. I'm still trying to source and price all I'll be needing for the visuals additions to my system. You mention you can impliment text overlays...is this done using R4?. Also, is it possible to overlay custom graphics?

Thanks in advance.

Well i have a seperate Pc system what i use, i bought Numark Arkaos system which comes with the control panel which is like a total control unit, Very powerful software, i can have shadow dancers on the screen and have text overlaying, I also have all different profiles for it which i bought like Love, Wedding, Christmas, All for different ocassions,

Well worth a look if you want something really powerful like that.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    Hi Martin. I'm still trying to source and price all I'll be needing for the visuals additions to my system. You mention you can impliment text overlays...is this done using R4?. Also, is it possible to overlay custom graphics?

Thanks in advance.
    Hey Shaun

R4 has a number of "real time" text overlays where you can quickly type up something to be displayed ("Happy Birthday X" or bar promotions etc.) and there are various ways of scrolling these over the active content.

R4 itself is highly customisable - you can make up your own scenes - I've chosen not to learn the complex language (& maths!) and stick with the hundreds of pre-programmed scenes (more available to download free from their website). You can also run any .mpg or .avi format video with/without audio - this is how I play back pop videos and things like Shadowdancers which I've ripped from DVD into .mpg files.

Hope this helps!

Martin

PS - realised I never posted the pics of the screens as promised. I will take some next time I take them out. Basically it's the two tripods from one of these modified to take a 20mm square steel tube screwed to the top of various widths of pull-down rear projection screens from these guys. Half an hour with a drill and a few assorted nuts & bolts, job done.

Martin, Steve...

Thanks for your replies. It's given me plenty to research for the time being. No doubt I'll have a few more questions later on.

Thanks again.

Shaun

Have you tried the free download of r4? It's fully functional except it throws banners on the screen reminding you to register.

http://www.rabidhamster.org/R4/download.php

There's also a couple of extra scene packs and a scene creation tool (not tried).