Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 45 of 61 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

This Face Mask development I think could be another problem for us - I can see it being extended to meeting in groups etc.

So far, people booking a wedding have a potential lockdown to consider, local lockdowns, elderly not attending, possibility of other restrictions, maybe all their guests will have to wear face masks, the distinct possibility of no hugging/kissing/hand-shake, likely no group singing/chanting......... the list goes on.

Can see nipping down the registry office with a few friends and family becoming the 'new norm'
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

If nothing else lockdown has made me want to get back into recording so I've set up a home studio. I've actually got the bones of an album I wrote while living in Saudi so it's very grim and bitter. Will fit right in with the current zeitgeist

Name:  IMG_20200711_174937761.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  32.7 KB

The wedding industry appears to be starting to get fed up with the lack of guidance, or even any indication of when it might recieve guidance...

https://www.guidesforbrides.co.uk/we...ding-recovery/

I'm not a fan of the bits that say 'no dance floor, 'no dancing' and 'DJs and bands are background only' but I get where they're coming from (compromise to allow things to restart in some form). They're dreaming though on asking for financial support, and not entirely sure what they think they're going to achieve by asking to keep deposits!

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    The wedding industry appears to be starting to get fed up with the lack of guidance, or even any indication of when it might recieve guidance...

I'm not a fan of the bits that say 'no dance floor, 'no dancing' and 'DJs and bands are background only' but I get where they're coming from (compromise to allow things to restart in some form). They're dreaming though on asking for financial support, and not entirely sure what they think they're going to achieve by asking to keep deposits!

Julian
    But at least there are groups within the wedding side of the industry doing something to talk to those in power.
    It was the same with pubs, gyms, restaurants, cinemas, theatres.....

Which begs the question - where are NADJ and why aren't they at least looking for constructive ways to allow a phased/sensible comeback?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

It's all very well the wedding industry putting together what they see as a minimum viable 'normal' wedding, but have they consulted with brides at all?

I'd want to see the stats on what percentage of couples would be happy to proceed with those restrictions in place. I think it would be pretty low. So we get in to the murky situation of clients still wanting to postpone because it's nowhere near the 'day' they envisaged when booking, and the wedding industry is still no better off.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    It's all very well the wedding industry putting together what they see as a minimum viable 'normal' wedding, but have they consulted with brides at all?

I'd want to see the stats on what percentage of couples would be happy to proceed with those restrictions in place. I think it would be pretty low. So we get in to the murky situation of clients still wanting to postpone because it's nowhere near the 'day' they envisaged when booking, and the wedding industry is still no better off.
    Yes they have apparently https://www.lovemydress.net/blog/202...MGEi0T5oGIicp4

And it's something I'm hearing a lot personally at the moment. The half a dozen I had left at the point the new guidance was released decided to postpone because it wasn't what they wanted.

Talking to people on their doorsteps nowadays who have been invited to postponed weddings (sons, daughters, nieces, nephews etc.), they're telling me the same thing. I've only come across a couple of cases where they're still going ahead and doing the "I Do's" now, and then planning a party to celebrate when the brakes are released hopefully at some point in the future.

Sadly, I think we're in this stalemate for a VERY long time to come and despite my anger at our own trade association not doing an awful lot other than promoting online streaming (you monetise that how?), I understand why we're not being allowed to work at the moment.

Let's face it, the type of atmosphere we create (along with nightclubs) is the ideal breeding ground for this nasty little blighter. I fear that we're off the road until either after the promised second wave and flu season, or whenever some sort of vaccine or treatment becomes available. I can foresee it being a couple of years before any sort of normality resumes. I'm certainly not banking on any of next year's weddings going ahead which is one of the main reasons I'm now employed (urgh!)

Add to this that there's obviously a BIG problem in public confidence in being in public places hence the new face covering rule in shops (and yet we as staff don't have to wear them?!?!?!), cut price meals out, reduced VAT, and it's going to be a very long uphill struggle

Sorry if that comes over as negative (I desperately want to get back to what I do for a real-life living), but only when it's safe for everyone to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

Sorry if that comes over as negative (I desperately want to get back to what I do for a real-life living), but only when it's safe for everyone to do so.
    Merely being realistic, in my humble opinion, although I do expect to start playing again next year. If not, well I don't know what to do.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Yup, they surveyed them quite early on and the Brides for Guides proposal takes into account some of their views about what they would and wouldn't find acceptable. Key things they wanted: Family and friends around them to celebrate. The proposals allow weddings to go ahead with the majority of the guests around the couple with relatively minimal restrictions that will impact on the day (face masks aren't mentioned...). The evening is screwed, but I'm guessing we all saw that one coming anyway (they were always going to give up the dance floor to allow more space for social distancing and/or ensure that guests are seated through the evening).

I think they've finally wised up to the fact that calling for a support package for an industry will get you noticed and re-opened quicker. It's going to be interesting to see what happens next...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Worth noting that Parliament goes on its summer recess (holiday) next week.

Whilst that won't affect the ability for guidelines to be changed, it does mean that activity from Westmister will be lower than we've had over the last few weeks.

I'd expect that whatever is in place by the middle of next week won't change much by the end of the summer - but I could be wrong.

I still have 2 x September weddings booked - it will be interesting to see at what point they postpone (or potentially go ahead without me...)

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    despite my anger at our own trade association not doing an awful lot other than promoting online streaming (you monetise that how?)
    Time to ask that question...