Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Lighting suggestions.

Default Lighting suggestions.

Yup, it's the old idiot asking for help yet again. Since my purchase of a 100w Kaleido, two Crossfire XPs and two Hadron 4-in1 lights, I'm spoilt for choice for everything except weddings.

As I write this, I think I may just have an answer, but I'm always receptive to opinions. I had a cunning plan once, which was mainly derailed by my refusal to spend money. Two rollers and two light bars on the uprights. Slow rotate open white gobos for first dance, and wash and movement for later.
    Well, I got the V Bars, which were insanely bright, and Fusion Max Rollers, which weren't.
    Although this setup really looked the part, the barrels weren't bright enough, and the bars tended to dazzle folks a lot.

So, back to the drawing board. I'm looking at mounting the Hadrons at the top of the uprights, and if I read this manual correctly, in 15 channel mode, I should be able to have a modicum of static wash colour ( most likely basically white, although I've got six faders to get a nice shade from ) and white moonflower/derby on slow rotate. My ancient old Chauvet DMX-44 has 16 channels, so should be fine, shouldn't it?

Tell me if you think it will work, won't work, or is just a stupid idea.

My old system was two Cheetahs on the overhead bar, and some form of wash, usually a powerbar. I could easily get slow rotate open white from the Cheetahs, and wash as needed from the bar.

If you've got any better ideas based on what I have at my disposal, fire away. There are some Equinox Power battens, and ADJ Tripars, as well as two EFX 500s, although I don't see any of them helping me achieve what I'm looking for.

Over to you, folks. Thanks as always.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Gigbar - job done

or for the bigger jobs - 2 gigbars
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I have to ask why ever did you get rid of the cheetahs

Anyway no. A gigbar won't be able to achieve anything more than a wash if it's white you're after. I had one in to fix recently & found it to be very cheaply built & even cheaper looking when on. As for the amount of control you get with dmx... Forget it! I don't like gigbars one bit & my opinion of them is they're expensive badly made toys.

I reckon you stand a decent chance with your plan Peter. Try it out at home & see what you can do with it.

If white derby type effects appeal consider the equinox shard. It's not the most handsome fixture to lay eyes on but I like what it can do.

Failing all else first dance lighting doesn't get much more elegant than just a simple white or pastel coloured wash. I think most photographers would agree too. Leave the fx off til the party kicks off

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Gigbar - job done

or for the bigger jobs - 2 gigbars
    Wash your mouth out with soap!! That's out for too many reasons to list, but a Hadron is a Gigbar, only neater,

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I have to ask why ever did you get rid of the cheetahs
    Didn't. Wouldn't. Same with Powerbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I reckon you stand a decent chance with your plan Peter. Try it out at home & see what you can do with it.

If white derby type effects appeal consider the equinox shard. It's not the most handsome fixture to lay eyes on but I like what it can do.

Failing all else first dance lighting doesn't get much more elegant than just a simple white or pastel coloured wash. I think most photographers would agree too. Leave the fx off til the party kicks off
    I'm about to try it shortly, once I've dined. The Shard is absolutely stunning for what it is, but I don't intend to spend money. It ain't cheap, either.

At a basic level, for weddings, white wash for the first dance and then 'normal' disco lights after that.

Give a photographer a white wash and they'll be very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    At a basic level, for weddings, white wash for the first dance and then 'normal' disco lights after that.

Give a photographer a white wash and they'll be very happy.
    Piece of cake. Any colour wash ( including UV) and any colour moonflower rotating at whatever speed. It only works perfectly, doesn't it!! Gordon Bennett, this is fantastic. I'm a happy bunny. Actually, I'm an ecstatic bunny.

Just to inject a note of caution, the 3-in-1 Hadrons and Swarm 5s won't do this as well as the 4-in-1/Swarm Wash.

I use the swarm wash fx for creating a mirror ball effect with the white dots which while is no way as good as an actual mirror ball it does a reasonable job My only criticism would be they are slightly out of focus compared to the same effect using my old quad phases, this is somewhat outweighed by the other things they can do!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    My only criticism would be they are slightly out of focus compared to the same effect using my old quad phases
    Interestingly, I found the Quad Phase squares a little too 'sharp' - I wasn't too keen on the squares, and would have preferred them to be 'out of focus', I find the effect more subtle when it's not got such a defined edge!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Interestingly, I found the Quad Phase squares a little too 'sharp' - I wasn't too keen on the squares, and would have preferred them to be 'out of focus', I find the effect more subtle when it's not got such a defined edge!
    The Shard puts out much more er.. interesting patterns than the QPHP. And it's some £60 or so cheaper. Brightness isn't as good as you might expect for a doubling of the LED power but as we all know by now there's more to it than mere watts