Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 485 of 564 FirstFirst ... 385435475483484485486487495535 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,850 of 5634

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrodisco View Post
    Baby Shark is the new big thing.

It's in the charts too.

Adults and kids are doing it, getting requested at weddings a lot.
    That it is and it also has the exact same BPM and mixes in / out very well to another current fave - Shotgun

Koulou move I've no idea - maybe that Kiki dance tune everyone is making stupid videos about just now?

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Never had a disco before (that I can remember) where only cheese got the floor to move.

Client was happy at the end of the night too
    I've had quite a few where it was the safest option. One memorable one had a playlist like a kids party! Friday night's floorfillers were all cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrodisco View Post
    Baby Shark is the new big thing.

It's in the charts too.

Adults and kids are doing it, getting requested at weddings a lot.
    Indeed it is, cos absolutely everyone can and does join in.

OK, Friday night:
    I started to write a review, and binned it on grounds of it being better in supporters. It may yet arise there, who knows?
    Wedding at a hotel for a bride who ( quite rightly, in many folk's opinion ) had refused the resident, after having a change of supplier foisted upon her. Let's just say his customer service left a lot to be desired.

Her playlist didn't inspire confidence. No Country, Soul, Motown, 50's or 60's.
    Curiously, While DJ Otzi, Gangnam Style and Cotton Eye Joe were banned, The Vengabus, Reach, Saturday Night, Macarena, Dr Jones and 5,6,7,8 were all on the request list.

Come the night, and Baby Shark got requested very quickly, filling the floor. Even more cheese was asked for and played, and ensured a healthy floor every time it appeared. I had planned to end up in 90's dance, as I'd done at a few weddings recently. Despite this being mine and the bride's cunning plan, we ended up with a spot of Indie and singalongs.

All in all, a very good gig, bride has just posted a great review on Add to Event, so all good.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I've had quite a few where it was the safest option. One memorable one had a playlist like a kids party! Friday night's floorfillers were all cheese.

Indeed it is, cos absolutely everyone can and does join in.

OK, Friday night:
    I started to write a review, and binned it on grounds of it being better in supporters. It may yet arise there, who knows?
    Wedding at a hotel for a bride who ( quite rightly, in many folk's opinion ) had refused the resident, after having a change of supplier foisted upon her. Let's just say his customer service left a lot to be desired.

Her playlist didn't inspire confidence. No Country, Soul, Motown, 50's or 60's.
    Curiously, While DJ Otzi, Gangnam Style and Cotton Eye Joe were banned, The Vengabus, Reach, Saturday Night, Macarena, Dr Jones and 5,6,7,8 were all on the request list.

Come the night, and Baby Shark got requested very quickly, filling the floor. Even more cheese was asked for and played, and ensured a healthy floor every time it appeared. I had planned to end up in 90's dance, as I'd done at a few weddings recently. Despite this being mine and the bride's cunning plan, we ended up with a spot of Indie and singalongs.

All in all, a very good gig, bride has just posted a great review on Add to Event, so all good.
    Ah, I wondered how you had got on. Seems the "resident" there can be any one of 52 the agency have on their books!

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Ah, I wondered how you had got on. Seems the "resident" there can be any one of 52 the agency have on their books!
    53 now! I've signed up with them, as well! If you can't beat 'em, join 'em*.

* Not all of the post above may be wholly true.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    53 now! I've signed up with them, as well! If you can't beat 'em, join 'em*.

* Not all of the post above may be wholly true.

I thought about it when they rang me once asking if I could cover a gig "at a hotel in Doncaster".

Default A spectacularly AWESOME gig!

If only all weddings went the way of last night

The venue...one of the usuals where it can go one of two ways (normally downhill very quickly). Not tonight though

Absolutely lovely couple who I'd only conversed with on email, a playlist of 20 songs (and 2 of those were do not plays), and 130 guests....EEK!
    Although the venue holds up to 200 and indeed I've done them that big in there before, the recent ones have struggled to hit 80 bodies. I neglected on this occasion to ask the question and rocked up with the trusty Evolves (I was lucky....I was going to take the Maui's for a spin instead).

Looked through the curtain to the dining marquee and my heart fell through the floor....this was going to be a real challenge for the little Evolves. Do you know what? They coped, and they coped better than I'd have expected. I've been tweaking with the pre-sets on the EQ again and didn't even hit the limiter on them tonight....and my GAWD they were loud!

Musically it was a little challenging. For once, guests were allowed to be forthcoming with requests and they didn't disappoint.....in fact they overdid it.

The usual way of working in this venue (for it's a well-oiled McWedding machine) is to keep things fairly calm until the hot buffet at about 90 minutes in....the idea being to give the evening guests a change to imbibe a couple of small sherries, exchange pleasantries with the bride and groom and generally get comfortable.

Requests for cheese (the stags went to Spain and danced their socked off to the likes of the Nolans and Neil Diamond apparently), came in aplenty and I thought I was going to peak way too soon on this one....it was a real struggle to keep up.

I'd planned to end the night on Britpop and Indie, and then into Mr Brightside which was the requested last of the evening. Right from the very start I had a bridesmaid demanding Florence and the Machine to be played....next. Sorry....not going to happen until later. Still she persisted and was at the side of the stage every 10 mins asking when it was coming on. When it did come on.....boom!

And that was the way of the night.....it was a struggle shoe-horning the demands for "my song next" in at times, but I couldn't put a foot wrong and come midnight left them singing to themselves on the dancefloor whilst waiting for their bus to arrive (I love weddings at that venue where the guests are bussed in.....they always finish on time that way )

That has got to be one of the best weddings this year . I'm certainly sitting here with my traditional beer and a big beaming smile on my chops tonight

Tomorrow.....a Saturday night OFF (I know....there oughta be a law against it). Do you know what though....after the number of gigs I've done over the last couple of months I'm going to sit with a kebab and a bottle of wine and enjoy watching the pictures of empty dance floors appear all over Social Media

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

Tomorrow.....a Saturday night OFF (I know....there oughta be a law against it).
    Correct! Had one last week, due to cancellation, which could be construed as twisting the knife.

Had a last minute 21st Thursday, which was a thoroughly drenched squib. May appear in supporters at some point.

Friday: Well, once again huge thanks to Mattysounds for sterling work with a playlist of remixes, which on paper were a nightmare. Turns out these 13 year olds bucked the trend, and danced to absolutely everything, got involved, and were an absolute dream to play for. Goes to show there's a first time for everything, eh?

Tonight I'm local, in a marquee for a 30th Birthday/Housewarming. Winter drawers on, mayhap.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    That has got to be one of the best weddings this year . I'm certainly sitting here with my traditional beer and a big beaming smile on my chops tonight
    OK - It's rare for me to upload videos, but THIS is the very reason I do this job!
    How many can boast a completely full 'floor at closing time and then have them burst into song?

This lot were a lively lot to say the least and kept me on my toes for the entire night.....but it was more than worth it

https://youtu.be/BLKNo4_v7xY

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

It's been a while since I've graced this thread. My September has been really busy and it's mostly new venues, thus meaning a shed load of content for the website but since I am currently 6 deep in Birra Moretti whilst updating said website...

Last night I was Calke Abbey. The Sax player was good, but it really was the wedding planners who were the stars of the show. The photobooth guy was pretty clueless as to what was going one (hence the value of a site visit), but we made it work. The planners seemed really appreciative that I'd be willing to unplug from a certain socket and plug into one about 3m away so said photobooth guys could plug in - seemed a bigger deal to them than it was to me. I guess that they must have some diva DJs who make things a bit harder than it should be. Less we say about the fact that the photobooth guy's extension that still had the cardboard on the plug itself until I peeled it off. What an awesome way to burn a building down...

Night itself was great - sax player went on for 90 minutes straight instead of the two 30-minute sets agreed (I have a theory as to why that was) and she was really good - together we really created a bit of an Ibiza vibe. For the rest of the night, it was down to me to keep things rocking and that's what I did. An 11pm finish was on the cards (FYI, I do think that this should be standard!), and I made sure that the night would be talked about for a long time for all the right reasons.

Last night brought my summer of weddings to a close, and what a way to end the summer season!

A marquee wedding (always risky at this time of year), but the weather was perfect.

A church wedding followed by a drinks reception at the venue they first met at meant that they didn't arrive at the marquee until after 4pm - but that means a nice fast paced timeline with no long gaps.

Lawn games and photos were followed by guests taking their seats at 6pm, with a hog-roast sharing plater for each table.

Speeches just after 7:30pm, followed immediately by the cake cutting and in to the first dance. And from that, the dancefloor was rammed all night (except a small lull during the burgers that came out at 10pm).

A quick blast of Love Train at 10:30pm, and I sent the dancers round the marquee picking up all the guests, and that brought them all back to the dancefloor where they stayed until 11:55, when everyone went outside for a sparkler send off! Those Instagram photos of sparkler send offs never really show the true chaos involved in organising one! But it all came together and everyone had a lit sparkler as the couple ran through for their exit.

Was nice to steer away from the usual wedding suspects for this one - a fairly contemporary and dancey mix of music, with a small smattering of some classics in there too.

One little bug bear was the marquee company pushing the dancefloor right up to the edges of the marquee, meaning I was perched slightly awkwardly on one side. Apparently the marquee company lost a key member of staff earlier this year who had a lot of the 'knowledge', so many of the small nuances that make a company great are now missing.

If anything, when the weather is good, marquees are great at this time of year. In the summer, they can be too hot. But with this weather, because the temperature drops in the evening and it's dark much earlier, everyone stayed in the marquee, which kept it at a great temperature, and made for a far better atmosphere.

So that's it, the summer wedding season of 2018 is complete for me! Still got more weddings to come, in Oct and Nov - and a surprisingly busy Dec of weddings, but that will be the 'winter season'! It's been a good summer - and the weather definitely helped (no one likes a wet wedding!!).