Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Getting yet another new website

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    So. Getting back on track... Love the new site & as you're aware Benny it's given me a kick up the rear to crack on with my own. Goodbye Wordpress!
    How's that coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Above was said in jest, but really we have such a simple job that we like to embellish into something challenging.
    Ever watched a 'friend' of the family act as Master of Ceremonies? That's when you realise it's not such a simple job.

Usain Bolt has a very simple job - run for 100 metres.

I dislike the 'simplification' of what we do.

In that case, we just play a few songs during the evening... and therefore anyone can do it (which we know it won't).

it's given me a kick up the rear to crack on with my own. Goodbye Wordpress!
    Out of interest, why 'goodbye' to Wordpress (and what are you planning on using instead?)

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    How's that coming along?
    I'm stuck in copywriting hell. The usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Ever watched a 'friend' of the family act as Master of Ceremonies? That's when you realise it's not such a simple job.
    Oh yes

Although my train of thought has changed and is something I do encourage greatly now (friend of the family as MC), creates a much more personal day for a couples friends and family rather than a stranger undertaking the job. Although I am not talking about simply giving someone a mic and letting them get on with it
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Usain Bolt has a very simple job - run for 100 metres.

I dislike the 'simplification' of what we do.

In that case, we just play a few songs during the evening... and therefore anyone can do it (which we know it won't).

Out of interest, why 'goodbye' to Wordpress (and what are you planning on using instead?)
    I'm not dropping wordpress completely but my main site will be running on a flat file based cms called Grav. Most of the features I want are in place now as is the styling so it's just down fo populate it with cintent.

So why? Mostly because wordpress is clunky & full of bloat. Sure you can add plugins to minify css & javascripts but for serving content that's mostly static... Is it really needed? Nope.

I'll keep wp on for the mdjm plugin though & I intend to get a lot more use out of that next year.

Above was said in jest, but really we have such a simple job that we like to embellish into something challenging.
    We have a job that's easy to do, unquestionably.

But it's exceedingly difficult to do it properly.

And those who can do it properly make it look so easy, that any thinks he can do it too.

He can, but he'll make a horlicks of it.

There are some jobs best left to the Professionals.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

So why? Mostly because wordpress is clunky & full of bloat.
    Whilst there are many Wordpress themes that are full of bloat and can be very slow loading itself, I've never seen this as a criticism of Wordpress, only the badly coded themes. There are many excellent themes available for Wordpress that are very fast loading.

My personal opinion is that you're 'boxing in' your options without any real gain.

Wordpress powers around a quarter of all websites, so it can't be that bad!

but for serving content that's mostly static... Is it really needed? Nope.
    Our websites should never be static. But as Grav has a 'CMS' behind it, I guess it can work. But we should be adding new content monthly as a minimum - ideally weekly - to help improve the search engine position of the website.

Whilst there are many Wordpress themes that are full of bloat and can be very slow loading itself, I've never seen this as a criticism of Wordpress, only the badly coded themes. There are many excellent themes available for Wordpress that are very fast loading.

My personal opinion is that you're 'boxing in' your options without any real gain.

Wordpress powers around a quarter of all websites, so it can't be that bad!

Our websites should never be static. But as Grav has a 'CMS' behind it, I guess it can work. But we should be adding new content monthly as a minimum - ideally weekly - to help improve the search engine position of the website.
    The problem with WP isn't so much the themes it's all the bloody plugins you need which end up weighing things down. Want a contact form? Oh you need this plugin. Want a datepicker for that? Another plugin. Oh you want a spam proofed captcha do you? Another plugin! And all these various plugins use their own JS, CSS. I've seen quick to load themes end up being very slow once you've added everything you need to make a working mobile DJ site. Not as slow as Wix mind you.

As for adding content weekly - that's probably going to be a blog or similar isn't it? Not changes on the actual main pages surely? Though that's easily tackled by having a bit of code to show post snippets on the front page I think.

To do it is simple, to do it really well is a completely different kettle of fish.

I'd honestly say in all of my years doing this and being guests at dozens of weddings of the past few years I've only ever seen one co-ordinator, MC etc... that I've thought was worth two bob. In fact I'll extend that to 2 and this guy was a fellow DJ / host...

The rest have ranged from well intentioned but couldn't get an atmosphere going in an orgy to the deer in the headlights "I really don't want to be doing this" type to the simply couldn't give a jobby types.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    To do it is simple, to do it really well is a completely different kettle of fish.

I'd honestly say in all of my years doing this and being guests at dozens of weddings of the past few years I've only ever seen one co-ordinator, MC etc... that I've thought was worth two bob. In fact I'll extend that to 2 and this guy was a fellow DJ / host...

The rest have ranged from well intentioned but couldn't get an atmosphere going in an orgy to the deer in the headlights "I really don't want to be doing this" type to the simply couldn't give a jobby types.
    You must be really fortunate. I know of a lot of great mc/hosts in our area who do a fantastic job, unfortunately they undervalue themselves which is what causes the problem and they think they need to incorporate 'everything' into their service instead of concentrating on what they are good at.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk