Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mackie thump TH15A

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Max View Post
    The older Alto TS115, are they any good? They are cheaper in the second hand market!
    As well as SRM450 V1, I also rock a pair of TS115A - they're very very good speakers for the money. Not the best looking or hardest wearing of cabinets, but look after them with padded covers & they'll be fine. Also, don't run them full belt with the contour switch on, or indeed run them into limiting continuously either (but then I'd say that of any active speaker system).

FWIW Alto also lie about output power, though not as much as Mackie do

My SRM450s are louder, but I much prefer the sound of the Altos. And their weight.

EDIT: You need the A version. The TS115 (no A) is passive only.

BWAHAHA.. on Ebay they're going for more than I paid for mine new - with stands (£400)

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    BWAHAHA.. on Ebay they're going for more than I paid for mine new - with stands (£400)
    So you are happy with them, That's a good deal £400!! Can you still get them at that price new???

Are they ok to run them on their own for about 80/100 people?

So you are happy with them, That's a good deal £400!! Can you still get them at that price new???

Are they ok to run them on their own for about 80/100 people?
    Gear4music have some but stock is limited.

For up to 100 people in most venues they'll be fine on their own. With one 15" sub they coped with a prom of over 120 kids but were about on their limit. Students really know how to make noise!

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I’ve never heard a glowing review of the Thumps (any version) and I tried a venues own pair once, I decided to bring my own system. And you have to wonder why someone is selling them after only two uses!

My advice would be to increase your budget and go for new or good s/h from a tried and tested make like RCF or FBT etc.
    Good advice, backed up by Justin's experiences. Right, with the Thumps blown out of the water, what do we have left? Max, the TS1 series Altos are cheaper cos they're older, and a slightly lower spec than the 2 series. Avoid the TX like the plague, have you read the specs? They're firmly in the lowest bracket.
    Mackie SRM 450 are contenders, and Justin owns them and the Alto TS215. Worthy of consideration. Db Chromo and Opera are in the frame if you can find them at the right price, and I was impressed by the FBT J series at Coalville. RCF 315 and above will blow your socks off.

My first choice though, as I've owned a pair for a year now, would be the Proel V15 but not at this price s/h with faults
    They are exceedingly capable cabs, and will cope with large venues of younger folk with ease. I rarely turn the gain up past 12 o'clock.

Curve ball? You've got the Alto sub, don't rule out 12" cabs. That would mean you'd take the sub out a lot more than if you had 15s. Food for thought.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I won't even entertain the idea of FBT now. One person I know has had to send one of his back twice now for the same fault. Exploding. No. Once is unlucky, a fluke production issue. Twice? Hmmm. Hardly user error either. And it wasn't one of the cheaper models either.

Even on Faceache FBT fanboys are surprisingly quiet these days when folk ask for opinions on active speaker options. In fairness they seem to turn warranty repairs around quickly but still. None of us want to have to use backup gear.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Gear4music have some but stock is limited.

For up to 100 people in most venues they'll be fine on their own. With one 15" sub they coped with a prom of over 120 kids but were about on their limit. Students really know how to make noise!
    I think that they are cheaper on e bay, are these the on'e?? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alto-TS115...YAAOSwAHZUM89L

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Good advice, backed up by Justin's experiences. Right, with the Thumps blown out of the water, what do we have left? Max, the TS1 series Altos are cheaper cos they're older, and a slightly lower spec than the 2 series. Avoid the TX like the plague, have you read the specs? They're firmly in the lowest bracket.
    Mackie SRM 450 are contenders, and Justin owns them and the Alto TS215. Worthy of consideration. Db Chromo and Opera are in the frame if you can find them at the right price, and I was impressed by the FBT J series at Coalville. RCF 315 and above will blow your socks off.

My first choice though, as I've owned a pair for a year now, would be the Proel V15 but not at this price s/h with faults
    They are exceedingly capable cabs, and will cope with large venues of younger folk with ease. I rarely turn the gain up past 12 o'clock.

Curve ball? You've got the Alto sub, don't rule out 12" cabs. That would mean you'd take the sub out a lot more than if you had 15s. Food for thought.
    Thanks for your advise!

sorry ignore that as they are passive

Are Behringer any good? Found these on e bay and they want £200 for them.

They are 12" and not 15

Are Behringer any good? Found these on e bay and they want £200 for them.

They are 12" and not 15
    i think for a serious set up you need better than this.

Bottom line is, you need to be avoiding brands like Behringer, Soundlab, ProSound, Skytec ... and Mackie Thump.

Incidentally, why is it I'm always reminded of the Goodies when I see those words together?