Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Post COVID - what's the future going to look like?

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I think today's lunchtime announcement has confirmed that, especially from Professor Chris Whitty who confirmed that we have 'reached the limit of what can be opened up'.

And this is during the summer period.

Until a vaccine is found, or the virus mutates itself to something less harmful (which I fear is out best chance out of this), then we are stuck in this situation now.
    Think that quote from Chris Whitty really hit the nail on the head and was a stark warning.

I am glad I have a job at present, not really enough £££ but can survive off it - think future plans are needing to be looked at now though and can't see DJing being part of them - certainly not short term
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Think that quote from Chris Whitty really hit the nail on the head and was a stark warning.

I am glad I have a job at present, not really enough £££ but can survive off it - think future plans are needing to be looked at now though and can't see DJing being part of them - certainly not short term
    Same here sadly. I'm counting myself lucky that I managed to get a job before everyone else found out they were going to need one. With furlough rules changing....there's a lot of uncertainty coming up at the moment.
    As for DJing, I think we've been consigned to the history books for a couple of years yet

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    As for DJing, I think we've been consigned to the history books for a couple of years yet
    Yeah that's my thought process as the year drags on - I had it in my mind we'd lose the Summer, pick things up in the Autumn / Winter and next year would be back to the usual except with added 2020 reschedules.

It really doesn't look like that is going to be the case and I really can't be arsed faffing about with another 12 months of more of doing nothing productive except bouncing back e-mails and trying to reschedule dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Yeah that's my thought process as the year drags on - I had it in my mind we'd lose the Summer, pick things up in the Autumn / Winter and next year would be back to the usual except with added 2020 reschedules.
    That was my initial hope too. It's very unlikely though.

I've now lost THREE of this year's reschedules, and after today's shock announcement I'm expecting the whole lot to come tumbling down soon. After all, who wants to plan a wedding when there's the potential for it to be closed down the day before it happens?

My next move is to go down to a fraction of my current storage space. Instead of a nicely laid out and racked container, I'm afraid it's going to be a case of getting a smaller unit and cramming stuff in....it's not going anywhere for a long time to come from what I'm seeing and I might as well make the losses as small as possible.

We WILL come out of the other side of this eventually - but my personal feelings are that it's going to take a very long time and indeed, mean restarting the business pretty much from scratch on everything except the purchase of the kit.

Until then, it looks like I'm going to be "living well on less" for a very long time yet

Someone pointed this out to me yesterday and it's possible it might help a few out...

South Glos Council have discretionary grants of up to £5k to give to businesses affected by Covid19. They were intended to help B&B's and people running businesses from shared premises where they don't directly pay business rates and were being hit with ongoing costs for rent so the criteria was initially set so that you could only apply if you had commercial business premises. However, South Glos have now gone through two rounds of awards and still have money in the pot so they're doing a third round and widened the criteria to include businesses run from residential premises.

Obviously the criteria are set by the council so it's going to vary from area to area, but it might be something worth looking at for any who haven't been able to get assistance through any of the other schemes. South Glos ask for proof of ongoing costs by providing bank statements and they appear to be evaluating it based on income from Feb 1st to May 31st (why Feb is in there I have no idea!!)

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Someone pointed this out to me yesterday and it's possible it might help a few out...

South Glos Council have discretionary grants of up to £5k to give to businesses affected by Covid19. They were intended to help B&B's and people running businesses from shared premises where they don't directly pay business rates and were being hit with ongoing costs for rent so the criteria was initially set so that you could only apply if you had commercial business premises. However, South Glos have now gone through two rounds of awards and still have money in the pot so they're doing a third round and widened the criteria to include businesses run from residential premises.

Obviously the criteria are set by the council so it's going to vary from area to area, but it might be something worth looking at for any who haven't been able to get assistance through any of the other schemes. South Glos ask for proof of ongoing costs by providing bank statements and they appear to be evaluating it based on income from Feb 1st to May 31st (why Feb is in there I have no idea!!)

Julian
    Think most councils have money left, but it is up to each council how they dish it out. In County Durham the criteria (even today) is that at least 3 people must be employed (PAYE) by the company applying.

Very unfair I think as Furlough is there to protect staff, this is supposed to be to try and protect businesses.

My biggest gripe with all the 'help' is that a self-employed person, or company without premises gets £0 help for protecting their business - with exception of a loan. My window cleaner has never had to stop working, got the £10k initial grant, gets SEISS, and also benefitted from this latest help to assist with PPE costs for staff - even though they have no PPE. He is laughing and has gained massively.

There's a fully paid up October bride just pulled it and I'm not available on their new date.

Horrible Capitalist me should (and could) have kept their dough.

Not being a total dick me has given a full refund.

DJ me is putting it out their now so I stick to it - I'm seeing out the rest of my gigs and jacking it in at the end of next year.

@ppentertainments - self employed are eligible for SEISS if they've been adversely affected, have traded since 2018/2019 tax year, SE income makes up at least 50% of total income and totals less than £50k. First grants have been dished out, 2nd grants can be applied for from 17th August.

However (and controversially), the £10k Small Business Grants did not have any 'adversely affected' clause.

So if your window cleaner was adversely affected then yes, they could legitimately claim SEISS, but if they were still raking it in at their usual turnover then it would have been a fraudulent claim (which HMRC will retrospectively be hunting for).

I'm not sure which scheme you're referring to regarding financial support for PPE provision so can't comment there.

And of course I wouldn't like to make aspersions about window cleaners being stereotypical tax dodgers with lots of undeclared cash...

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Think most councils have money left, but it is up to each council how they dish it out. In County Durham the criteria (even today) is that at least 3 people must be employed (PAYE) by the company applying.

Very unfair I think as Furlough is there to protect staff, this is supposed to be to try and protect businesses.
    Yup, I know its a long shot and the criteria varies from area to area, but it may worth looking at. I did check some of the neighbouring areas and Bristol is doing similar, whereas Gloucester has just shut the doors on the scheme

They always said it was going to be a bit of a blunt instrument and wouldn't be as fair as they liked, but there are massive disparities between the support people have had and there doesn't seem to be any desire to fix it...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by stormproductions View Post
    @ppentertainments - self employed are eligible for SEISS if they've been adversely affected, have traded since 2018/2019 tax year, SE income makes up at least 50% of total income and totals less than £50k. First grants have been dished out, 2nd grants can be applied for from 17th August.

However (and controversially), the £10k Small Business Grants did not have any 'adversely affected' clause.

So if your window cleaner was adversely affected then yes, they could legitimately claim SEISS, but if they were still raking it in at their usual turnover then it would have been a fraudulent claim (which HMRC will retrospectively be hunting for).

I'm not sure which scheme you're referring to regarding financial support for PPE provision so can't comment there.

And of course I wouldn't like to make aspersions about window cleaners being stereotypical tax dodgers with lots of undeclared cash...
    I am well aware - however if you look at the criteria for claiming SEISS - you will see that simply being out of pocket to buy PPE entitles you to the scheme.

HMRC will no doubt be following up on SEISS payments, hence maybe why there is quite a recruitment drive at the moment, however the whole SEISS, furlolugh, grant schemes have been a major error in my opinion.