Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Mixing Haze Fluid With Water

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default Mixing Haze Fluid With Water

I saw a post on Facebook recently of a DJ's setup that had no visible haze, but the beams of light from his movers and lazers can be seen. It looked great, and I wondered what hazer he had to produce haze so fine that it wasn't visible on this video. I use the Chauvet Hurricane 4D and I love the fact that I can put the output on low, the fan on high and leave it on all night and it doesn't look like a social club from the 80s at any point. But to have a non-visible haze, that's the holy grail for me.

Turns out this chap mixes 1 part haze fluid to 10 parts water. Is this a thing? I've never heard of anyone doing that before (maybe I am incredibly sheltered), but if this is a thing, is this not the answer to the smoke alarm issue?

The real answer is to use a haze with a smaller particle size - not a fazer. Glycol or whatever they put in the fluid is what gives the haze its staying power. Dilute it & you'll shorten how long it sticks around. You might also change the temperature it evaporates at significantly, which might not be good for the machine's guts.

Problem is, real hazers (not foggers using thin fluid with a powerful fan) are expensive.

Here's one I quite fancy myself: http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-pro-hazer.shtml

Edit: I've seen the thread - and the lights that guy uses would show beams pretty much without any haze. He says he does it with a 100 quid fazer - so try DISTILLED watering your machine's fluid down 10 to 1 & see what happens. I don't imagine the hang time will be up to much though.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 09-07-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    The real answer is to use a haze with a smaller particle size - not a fazer. Glycol or whatever they put in the fluid is what gives the haze its staying power. Dilute it & you'll shorten how long it sticks around. You might also change the temperature it evaporates at significantly, which might not be good for the machine's guts.

Problem is, real hazers (not foggers using thin fluid with a powerful fan) are expensive.

Here's one I quite fancy myself: http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-pro-hazer.shtml

Edit: I've seen the thread - and the lights that guy uses would show beams pretty much without any haze. He says he does it with a 100 quid fazer - so try DISTILLED watering your machine's fluid down 10 to 1 & see what happens. I don't imagine the hang time will be up to much though.
    Don't use tap water what ever you do

My roadie loaded distilled water rather than the haze fluid once, it gave the machine a bloody good clean. I think the quality of the fluid is also important. I just use crap QTX stuff (£15-20 for 5 litres i think), but looking on Thomann it gets very expensive when you get into theatre type territory, so try the light one of the best brand and see the difference. Obviously try diluting it first, I get light haze and add a bit of thick haze plus some vanilla scent, works fine for me and lasts months between refilling (vs every week when light only).

The tour grade stuff seems the best option: https://www.thomann.de/gb/fluids.html?oa=prd

As per the machine, my fan broke on the first day (it was a discontinued Gear 4 DJ's product) but it only cost £100, but having a fan in the booth this time of year makes me wonder if I should upgrade it as the case spreads so much better. As linked the pea souper has a good reputation, but so do some of the thomann cheapo brand ones. Not an expert on the hardware though, my main specification is it comes with a decent timer/level remote thing.
    Last edited by yourdj; 09-07-2018 at 09:51 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

BTW as for the haze not being visible in Ben Phillips' video.. erm I rather think it is actually.

Remember the million pound drop on telly? I only caught it a couple of times & it had a lovely laser thing going on - gorgeous beams & absolutely no visible haze. But there must've been haze.. so what were they using? That's really the million pound question. I want one of them.

As for Thomann Toby, I've only ever had luck with them shipping indestructible items (like the WRONG FLIGHTCASE) to me. For some reason or other every single box they've sent me arrives almost half disintegrated. For that reason I'm out.
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 09-07-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Remember the million pound drop on telly? I only caught it a couple of times & it had a lovely laser thing going on - gorgeous beams & absolutely no visible haze. But there must've been haze.. so what were they using? That's really the million pound question. I want one of them.
    Not far off with 'million pounds'...!

This is the type of hazer used on TV: https://www.thomann.de/gb/mdg_atme_atmosphere.htm

I gave up on haze a couple of years ago. Very few venues allow it, and to do it properly is expensive. Otherwise, it's a fine smoke, and isn't really well received by clients.

I think it's only us DJs who like the beams.

So now I have one less item to carry around, set up and take down, and a nice clean air with no 'haze' hanging around.

And there's no way I'm paying big money for a haze machine - I'll never see that back in an increased fee for the haze.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Not far off with 'million pounds'...!

This is the type of hazer used on TV: https://www.thomann.de/gb/mdg_atme_atmosphere.htm

I gave up on haze a couple of years ago. Very few venues allow it, and to do it properly is expensive. Otherwise, it's a fine smoke, and isn't really well received by clients.

I think it's only us DJs who like the beams.

So now I have one less item to carry around, set up and take down, and a nice clean air with no 'haze' hanging around.

And there's no way I'm paying big money for a haze machine - I'll never see that back in an increased fee for the haze.
    Well, there's no way I'm stumping up 5 grand for a single fixture. As for venues that allow it though I've only met 1 out of a good many up here that don't let hazers run. Some of my clients have specifically asked for beam effects

Just for once, I got lucky a couple of weeks ago.

A local-ish DJ to me has just retired after a commendable 50 years in this game. He was selling his gear off at knock down prices just to get rid of it.
    My prize? A Look Unique 2.1 just over a year old for just £350.

I'm fairly lucky....several of my main venues allow haze so long as you don't go mad and make it look like a pre-smoking ban WMC. I've used it several times since I got it and it's absolutely fantastic when used correctly. You can hardly see the haze (I'm certainly not taking in lung fulls like I used to do with my cheapo QTX fazer), but the effect it has on the beams is brilliant.

It's a totally different beast from the cheap jobbies, and it just gently "sips" at the fluid as well. The tank that came with it will last me for over a year with no problem. Possibly one of the best bits of kit I've purchased recently

BTW as for the haze not being visible in Ben Phillips' video.. erm I rather think it is actually.
    Do you think its obvious from my video below, I tend to use it reasonably over the 'enough to see beams' levels mind you. I have only set an alarm off a couple of times, when i had another hazer that was on or off. Getting one with a timer and using lighter haze is no problem at all. 0-42 seconds the haze is hardly visible

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    A Look Unique 2.1 just over a year old for just £350.
    That looks nice thats a lovely step up from the cheapo ones like I have, especially at half the price. Lets not forget that these £5,000 ones are designed to fill theatres and huge halls, not tiny little banqueting rooms in hotels.

I judge my haze machines on probably the wrong criteria, which is how small can i get a reasonable posh 'smoke machine' for so it can fit in my flight case. Yes it adds to the weight, but I really love having the haze, especially when using lasers. the QTX fluid I use is also a bit of a step up from the cheapo crap. I think its a little like DSLR's & lenses, you can still shoot good photos with a cheaper body & an expensive L lens vs a crap lens and expensive body.

I have something like this. it has worked flawlessly minus the fan breaking on day 1!! Lats months before changing the fluid and only needs cleaning twice a year. I am more than happy with it, although I may fix the fan at some point, probably just a loose connection.

Name:  Haze2-large.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  24.4 KB

Not ever had a problem with Thomann at all, quite the opposite. I ordered a Samson battery speaker a week back and had it in 2 days!

This haze machine is supposed to be amazing for the price & size:

Name:  8159487_800.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  41.6 KB

https://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville..._hazer_dmx.htm
    Last edited by yourdj; 10-07-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Toby if the fan speed control is anything like my QTX the MOSFET that powers the fan is possibly blown. Happened to mine after about one use too. I'm pondering making an arduino thingy to let me dmx output volume & fan speed.

Toby if the fan speed control is anything like my QTX the MOSFET that powers the fan is possibly blown. Happened to mine after about one use too. I'm pondering making an arduino thingy to let me dmx output volume & fan speed.
    I have thought about DMX, but my little controller works well & i don't have to worry much about it. Only time i need to adjust is if someone opens a door or something.

My garage is being transformed to a toilet/bar & workshop this week, so will have a good look when I am settled in. I guess I can test the fan separately and that will distinguish what is wrong, As you say my bet is on the power supply being badly configured.