Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toastmasters?

Default Toastmasters?

I am fed up with toastmasters being rude to me when i mention that I run weddings. I want to get the best guild qualification possible so I can whip out my medallion and tell them that I must know what I am doing as i have attended a 3 day course and got a medal for it (despite the fact i have run tons of weddings already and spent many days/money in workshops/training). I don't really intend to wear the fox hunting suit but I suppose its a nice thing to have for future benefit? Learning the formality of toasting a royal banquet would be nice not that i ever will need that either.

My question is whats the best guild to get as there seem to be lots of break off ones, that are probably not that well recognised?
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I am fed up with toastmasters being rude to me when i mention that I run weddings. I want to get the best guild qualification possible so I can whip out my medallion and tell them that I must know what I am doing as i have attended a 3 day course and got a medal for it (despite the fact i have run tons of weddings already and spent many days/money in workshops/training). I don't really intend to wear the fox hunting suit but I suppose its a nice thing to have for future benefit? Learning the formality of toasting a royal banquet would be nice not that i ever will need that either.

My question is whats the best guild to get as there seem to be lots of break off ones, that are probably not that well recognised?
    When do you mention this to them? Hopefully it’s at off-duty social occasions rather than when discussing a wedding you’ve both been booked on.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    When do you mention this to them? Hopefully it’s at off-duty social occasions rather than when discussing a wedding you’ve both been booked on.
    Martin!!!!!!!! I'm shocked. I do so hope you're not implying that Toby would give less than 100% to his customers! Heaven forfend. It's clear that the lad is versatile and more than capable of keeping numerous balls airborne simultaneously. Had you aimed your remark at someone like me, whose train of thought is single track, it would be justified.

I know more than one DJ who is also a toastmaster, and it's a valuable string to your bow.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Do you actually day that you 'RUN weddings' ?
    I don't know about you, but my all day services are entirely different to the role of a professional toastmaster - in fact a few toastmasters recommend me.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Do you actually day that you 'RUN weddings' ?
    It is quite a tongue in cheek really - although this depends on the wedding, but especially the barns, marquees & private residencies where there is no management. I coordinate the wedding as well as do the announcements and other management. I could come up with a whole list of very strange things i have done over the last few years to help at weddings. its often the small things that make the most difference. I have written a book on it called the 'Ultimate wedding MC' (available next week). Generally the better the venue the less work there is to do on C&B as the management is better, so NO I don't run every wedding, but some I do.

The more demanding weddings the better - I had this email this morning which was nice, I feel my fee will be justified at this one:

Our venue is an exclusive hire and doesn’t come with a co-ordinator so we really like the sound of your all day package. Ideally we would like someone to act as a co-ordinator, calling guests for dinner, introducing bride and groom, announcing speeches etc as well as doing the ceremony music and the evening DJ.

Despite having 3 days toastmaster training in 2010, I want to do the national guild training to see what all the fuss is about. If anything I will gain some good skills and have an internationally credible qualification and a shiny medallion LOL. I have done about 20-30 all day weddings year since 2010/11, and when working with toastmasters (as DJ only) it is a very similar job. From the ones i have seen toastmaster are much more formal/scripted and less personal, but the bare bones of whats organised/managed its very similar to what I would do. i am no expert so it will be nice to have another string as excalaber said.

See my article in this months Promobile on this.

To answer the first post - I would probably not mention it to them, unless they ask. If we were having a chat and they were a reasonable character then i might discuss guilds etc. My main fear is that they may be threatened if I pull out a medallion or think I am being cocky as i don't use it as a toastmaster in a red coat? it more for my own benefit really and nice to have on my bio on the website. If on the odd occasion i have to work with a toastmaster (normally as they are on the package) i sink in to the background and do what I am paid to do - press play and make sure the microphones are working
    Last edited by yourdj; 09-06-2015 at 09:55 PM.

In that case Toby, if you really do all that and take that responsibility, your fees are comparable to sixty quid sid in my opinion - like most other DJs who take on this huge responsibility.

In that case Toby, if you really do all that and take that responsibility, your fees are comparable to sixty quid sid in my opinion - like most other DJs who take on this huge responsibility.
    I used to be a bit cheaper with the all days and even the odd client said this. I thought it was valid as i was still in training. i am a lot more confident/experienced now so I think i am about right at the moment as they have gone up a bit this year. Toastmasters charge about £300-450 (perhaps £500) for the day in my area and I charge this plus ceremony music & the evening rate of £500-800 depending on start and finish times. I am quite happy with my fees really, especially as i love the work and spending the day with the guests. Its not for everyone, but suits me perfectly.

I would be interested to learn about the etiquette to do with other formal functions, such as royal banquets (not that i will ever do one), with the toastmaster training. Even the Derek Pengelly introductions workshop was brilliant recently, so 3 days training with a toastmaster must be worth the money?
    Last edited by yourdj; 10-06-2015 at 11:22 AM.

I used to be a bit cheaper with the all days and even the odd client said this. I thought it was valid as i was still in training. i am a lot more confident/experienced now so I think i am about right at the moment as they have gone up a bit this year. Toastmasters charge about £300-450 (perhaps £500) for the day in my area and I charge this plus ceremony music & the evening rate of £500-800 depending on start and finish times. I am quite happy with my fees really, especially as i love the work and spending the day with the guests. Its not for everyone, but suits me perfectly.
    Toastmasters charge that - but people who RUN the event would charge a hell of a lot more - just look at the responsibility.

Nothing personal Toby, but I feel it is DJs who 'try to do everything' and do things too cheaply that are to blame for the publics perception of DJs. Around 85% of my weddings are all day, but I simply play music and make announcements. No way would I run the day or be overly involved in the organisation, that is a different ball game altogether.

I done a 2 week toastmaster course when working in hotels - around 16 year ago and it was great and likely worth the money, but they teach you how to master the art of making toasts - not how to run a wedding.

Toastmasters charge that - but people who RUN the event would charge a hell of a lot more - just look at the responsibility.

Nothing personal Toby, but I feel it is DJs who 'try to do everything' and do things too cheaply that are to blame for the publics perception of DJs. Around 85% of my weddings are all day, but I simply play music and make announcements. No way would I run the day or be overly involved in the organisation, that is a different ball game altogether.

I done a 2 week toastmaster course when working in hotels - around 16 year ago and it was great and likely worth the money, but they teach you how to master the art of making toasts - not how to run a wedding.
    As i said I don't tend to run weddings most of the time as it depends on the venue and the caterers. its pretty much the list on this page, combined with audio visual services. http://weddingtoastmasterwales.co.uk...master-duties/ . i think £900-1,500 is a more than reasonable fee for the day given the level of preparation and on the day work.

I didn't start this post to discuss the ins and outs of my business affairs. I wanted advice on toastmaster guilds.

I have met and worked with Eric and he is lovely, so this would be my first choice, but not sure on the credibility of the executive guild?
    http://www.toastmastertraining.com

The society of London and the national association seem like the best ones:
    http://www.englishtoastmasters.co.uk...aster_list.php

And this one: http://www.guildoftoastmasters.co.uk...ng_academy.php

Any thoughts on this??
    Last edited by yourdj; 10-06-2015 at 12:24 PM.

As i said I don't tend to run weddings most of the time as it depends on the venue and the caterers. its pretty much the list on this page, combined with audio visual services. http://weddingtoastmasterwales.co.uk...master-duties/ . i think £900-1,500 is a more than reasonable fee for the day given the level of preparation and on the day work.
    But that list has nothing really to do with RUNNING a wedding, as in your op - which makes me wonder if you would actually benefit from such a course or if you already have the knowledge and skills required for the real task in hand ?