Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

July

"Let's open the pubs. Restaurants too. In fact, what we'll do is subsidise the hospitality industry by encouraging people to eat out three days a week. Let's really drive the numbers into pubs so that the industry can be saved."

"That's a really clever idea."

"I thought so."

September

"Hmmm....looks like the rate of infection has gone up over the last couple of months since we introduced the scheme although, saying that, the evidence seems to suggest that most infections are happening in care homes. How should we tackle this?"

"We'll reduce numbers at weddings to 15. Problem solved."

Genius. 'kin genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    July

"Let's open the pubs. Restaurants too. In fact, what we'll do is subsidise the hospitality industry by encouraging people to eat out three days a week. Let's really drive the numbers into pubs so that the industry can be saved."

"That's a really clever idea."

"I thought so."

September

"Hmmm....looks like the rate of infection has gone up over the last couple of months since we introduced the scheme although, saying that, the evidence seems to suggest that most infections are happening in care homes. How should we tackle this?"

"We'll reduce numbers at weddings to 15. Problem solved."

Genius. 'kin genius.
    I know - and although it's not unexpected.....it's a big blow
    How the heck am I supposed to get a McDonalds as I drive home from my delivery shift at 11pm now?

As we seem to have discovered this year, the UK gov have a "policy of decision making by sensational announcements" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54162189, aka 'the drop', frequently followed by 'the rewind', doing the hokey cokey and ending up with a bit of a 'mash-up' so you may be ok with your McDs if later this week they decide that takeaways have a post 10pm exemption, or maybe that premises that don't serve alcohol could be exempt, but it's only Tuesday today, so expect an update around 7.45pm Thursday, I'd imagine that 2 and a quarter hours notice will be fine...!

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    It's nearly September, and I can't see March bookings going ahead at the moment
    The title of Honorary Cassandra now passes to my Fenland Friend.

I know - and although it's not unexpected.....it's a big blow
    How the heck am I supposed to get a McDonalds as I drive home from my delivery shift at 11pm now?
    NOOOOOO! ( But then I remembered that I'm not usually out as late as 11pm nowadays).

Anyway, with the new announcement of restrictions in place for six months, that's Christmas and NYE gone then.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The title of Honorary Cassandra now passes to my Fenland Friend.
    No Cassandra about it....we're up a well known creek without adequate means of propulsion for at least the next six months.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    NOOOOOO! ( But then I remembered that I'm not usually out as late as 11pm nowadays).

Anyway, with the new announcement of restrictions in place for six months, that's Christmas and NYE gone then.
    Sadly...yes. My final Xmas party which was hanging on by a mere thread cancelled on me last week. Wasn't totally unexpected since they're the local Health Authority but all the same....it was something to cling to (and ALWAYS an awesome night!).

As for McD's....after a gruelling 8 hour shift of delivering Prosecco and Quinoa....you'd be surprised how nourishing and welcome a double cheeseburger meal with a piping hot freshly ground coffee can be!

What with yesterdays announcement it's a bit crap, but hey at least we have some actual information so we can plan ahead somewhat. I know the wording isn't set in stone but I'd imagine it to be along the lines of six months, it could be sooner but likely to be more than that.

I'd be ok if I could get my storage unit costs covered but having no luck with that at the moment.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    What with yesterdays announcement it's a bit crap, but hey at least we have some actual information so we can plan ahead somewhat. I know the wording isn't set in stone but I'd imagine it to be along the lines of six months, it could be sooner but likely to be more than that.

I'd be ok if I could get my storage unit costs covered but having no luck with that at the moment.
    Yup - I'm looking at it now that I've got at least another six months off the road so can finally make some plans.

I'd been considering downsizing my storage unit to something half the size (and £40 a month cheaper). I'd been putting it off because it means that rather than having space in there with everything easily accessible, the smaller unit will literally have stuff piled on top of each other, and if we suddenly got the go-ahead to go back to work that would have been a real pain in the nether regions. At least I can go ahead with that plan now and start saving a bit more cash.

I'd been putting it off because it means that rather than having space in there with everything easily accessible, the smaller unit will literally have stuff piled on top of each other, and if we suddenly got the go-ahead to go back to work that would have been a real pain in the nether regions. At least I can go ahead with that plan now and start saving a bit more cash.
    I don't know how you've currently got things stacked, but these were the best investment I made: https://amzn.to/3kHOFlX

This made it so much easier to use the height of the storage unit, whilst still making things ultra easy to access. And when you build them, you get to decide the height of each shelf, so you can make it to fit your equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I don't know how you've currently got things stacked, but these were the best investment I made: https://amzn.to/3kHOFlX

This made it so much easier to use the height of the storage unit, whilst still making things ultra easy to access. And when you build them, you get to decide the height of each shelf, so you can make it to fit your equipment.
    I have the B&Q version of those down one wall, and stuff like the retro show and booths along the other. By going to a smaller unit it just means that these will be back to back and I'll be unable to get to stuff further back in the unit. Not a major problem at the moment as it's not going anywhere anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post

Yup - I'm looking at it now that I've got at least another six months off the road so can finally make some plans.

I'd been considering downsizing my storage unit to something half the size (and £40 a month cheaper).
    Were it not against Rule 23, I would say that was Schadenfreude*. ( Like laughing at the bloke slipping on a banana skin, for example).
    Sorry to take pleasure in your discomfiture and travails lads, but suddenly, the £2K,and weeks of work spent on the new improved, insulated, weatherproof Disco Storage Facility ( shed) looks less of a waste of money.

* Mod Note: Watch it Peter! You've been warned about this before.

Oops, sorry. It just kinda slipped out.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk