Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Laptop Help

Default Laptop Help

Guys not new to the site but I have recently re-registered.
    I would like to know if there anyway I can boost the volume of my laptop feed into my mixer as I have to use the gain to adjust it. This is fine except when you are in full flow and switch back to CD I have really loud gain volume and have to back it off. Would like to boost input volume to keep the line and CD gain the same.

Would I be right in assuming you've got a 2 channel mixer or a mixer without individual line gain knobs? So have to switch each line from laptop to cd?
    If so I think th easiest option would to get a mixer with four channels to enable you to control the gain differently.
    As far as I'm aware there is no way to simply amplify signal from laptop without an audio interface.

Alternatively, don't use cds?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Would I be right in assuming you've got a 2 channel mixer or a mixer without individual line gain knobs? So have to switch each line from laptop to cd?
    If so I think th easiest option would to get a mixer with four channels to enable you to control the gain differently.
    As far as I'm aware there is no way to simply amplify signal from laptop without an audio interface.

Alternatively, don't use cds?
    Unfortunately I have a Gemini double CD player with built in 2 channel mixer.

You could buy a mini headphone amp. It may or maynot work. Results my vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
    Do you know where I could get one of these amps?

Callum's suggestion may work it's certainly worth thinking about. You do need something to amplify the output from your laptop and you do have a few options. Let's have a look at them!

Option 1 would be to use software to increase the gain/output (we'd say "amplify"!) of the signal. There are many software packages out there that can do this. Very few are any good. You are more likely to end up with a distorted sound and putting a distorted signal in to your mixer can cause further problems. However, a lot of them are free and you may find one that just about does the job. I'd start by looking here:

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0...type=downloads

There are lots of paid-for audio enhancers that may include volume increase options. Google is your friend here!

Option 2 would be Callum's suggestion of the headphone amplifier. As with the software, you'd have to be very careful of not amplifying the signal too much and distorting it as, again, a distorted signal in to your mixer could cause problems such as excessive clipping. Have a look at this page as a starter for ten! :

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=headphon...ifier&tbm=shop

Option 3, and this would be my choice, would be to invest in a new, and more powerful, soundcard. Search Google for soundcards, read reviews and see if any suit your needs. I use a Creative SoundBlaster USB soundcard and it is a massive improvement over on-board sound. I've had it for years and it's still going strong.

Oh, and good luck in your quest!!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Callum's suggestion may work it's certainly worth thinking about. You do need something to amplify the output from your laptop and you do have a few options. Let's have a look at them!

Option 1 would be to use software to increase the gain/output (we'd say "amplify"!) of the signal. There are many software packages out there that can do this. Very few are any good. You are more likely to end up with a distorted sound and putting a distorted signal in to your mixer can cause further problems. However, a lot of them are free and you may find one that just about does the job. I'd start by looking here:

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0...type=downloads

There are lots of paid-for audio enhancers that may include volume increase options. Google is your friend here!

Option 2 would be Callum's suggestion of the headphone amplifier. As with the software, you'd have to be very careful of not amplifying the signal too much and distorting it as, again, a distorted signal in to your mixer could cause problems such as excessive clipping. Have a look at this page as a starter for ten! :

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=headphon...ifier&tbm=shop

Option 3, and this would be my choice, would be to invest in a new, and more powerful, soundcard. Search Google for soundcards, read reviews and see if any suit your needs. I use a Creative SoundBlaster USB soundcard and it is a massive improvement over on-board sound. I've had it for years and it's still going strong.

Oh, and good luck in your quest!!
    DazzyD thank you for these options I will get on to these options and try them out. The USB sound card sounds the best option as you already use this. Is it a plug and play or do you need to purchase software with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 18-09-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Merged posts

You can buy onboard sound cards depending on your laptop - I personally would get an external one as normally they offer more flexibility and easier to install
    I use Traktor which you can get 2, 3 or 5 channel soundcards.

saying this though my traktor soundcard puts out the same volume as my laptop and phone's maximum, the signal starts to clip at around 11 o clock so the signal coming from all my devices is plenty hot enough.

Regarding the headphone amp idea, whilst I'm sure it'll work it doesn't ring "good solution" for live music (bit sceptical as to the quality).

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
    DazzyD thank you for these options I will get on to these options and try them out. The USB sound card sounds the best option as you already use this. Is it a plug and play or do you need to purchase software with it?

It needs drivers but these came with the soundcard. I did have to upgrade to Win7 drivers which I found on the Creative website despite them saying they didn't support the device anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    You can buy onboard sound cards depending on your laptop - I personally would get an external one as normally they offer more flexibility and easier to install
    I use Traktor which you can get 2, 3 or 5 channel soundcards.

saying this though my traktor soundcard puts out the same volume as my laptop and phone's maximum, the signal starts to clip at around 11 o clock so the signal coming from all my devices is plenty hot enough.

Regarding the headphone amp idea, whilst I'm sure it'll work it doesn't ring "good solution" for live music (bit sceptical as to the quality).
    A basic soundcard will provide pretty much the same output as onboard sound. However, if you go for a DJ or music production card, or even a half decent gaming soundcard, then you may* get software and drivers that allow you to tweak the output. Many soundcards are capable outputting several more dBs than you'd get from lesser cards. Make sure you know the spec before parting with cash!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Many soundcards are capable outputting several more dBs than you'd get from lesser cards. Make sure you know the spec before parting with cash!
    And also, many high grade soundcards don't work with some non-DJ programs, as I found out when I tried to use a Maya with Media Monkey. Ah well.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk