Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Fair Use' proposed for the UK - but not for DJs

Default 'Fair Use' proposed for the UK - but not for DJs

The Govt have announced proposals to change the law to allow greater freedom for consumers, and other sections of the society to allow such things as format shifting, but the proposals do not propose to extend these rights to businesses, so will not be of any benefit to DJs.

Read more here:- http://www.bmmagazine.co.uk/news/137...right-freedom/

Very interesting reading Angela,sorry if i am being a bit thick does that mean the client can provide the music for there own function,the mind boggles .

Good point, Tony.

We won't know exactly what's what until the full legislation is drafted, but I'd say that there's probably a good argument that they'll be able to supply you with their own tracks on CD-R or USB (ripped from CD), etc, without it being illegal. However, you'd still have the problem of where they got the music from in the first place!

...or were you talking about DIY functions?

TBH, this proposal is doing little more than regulating the current position where they've already said that they wouldn't take any legal action against private individuals for format-shifting their own music collection - even though it's technically against the law.

I imagine it will have a clause where it can not be used for public performance, but knowing this goverment it will be full of loopholes

My personal belief is that the music companies should be paying us to play music, espically promo stuff as I often get asked what the name of a song was, then they download it on itunes! Double income, one from me for my license, one from the punter who brought the track becuase he heard it and liked it. Still I could go on for pages about this but thats another story
    Maidstone Based Professional Disco
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by lazersounds View Post
    I imagine it will have a clause where it can not be used for public performance, but knowing this goverment it will be full of loopholes
    ...and a private party isn't a public performance!

There aren't any proposals to extent the fair use to commercail ventures though (eg: Us)

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    ...or were you talking about DIY functions?

TBH, this proposal is doing little more than regulating the current position where they've already said that they wouldn't take any legal action against private individuals for format-shifting their own music collection - even though it's technically against the law.
    Not really,for the first time this year i have had clients send or give me on the day there complete playlist on a portable device,i currently do not use a laptop for dj use and buy music online directly to my portable hard drive which i use for play out and original cd,s so i do not need a pd licence and just concerned if the above scenario happens i would be in breach of my disclaimer,god i do miss 7" vinyl so uncomplicated in the early years.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    Not really,for the first time this year i have had clients send or give me on the day there complete playlist on a portable device,i currently do not use a laptop for dj use and buy music online directly to my portable hard drive which i use for play out and original cd,s so i do not need a pd licence and just concerned if the above scenario happens i would be in breach of my disclaimer,god i do miss 7" vinyl so uncomplicated in the early years.
    Sorry - I'm tired today, but I'm not sure what you're getting at here / your point / relevance to the proposed changes to legislation... and what disclaimer?

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Sorry - I'm tired today, but I'm not sure what you're getting at here / your point / relevance to the proposed changes to legislation... and what disclaimer?
    Just the standard Pro dub disclaimer stating i am exempt from needing one.

I'm sure I'm having deja vu over this, cos I'll swear I'd already seen Tony's reply ages ago.

Anyhow, enough of this. Angela, what I think Tony's getting at is that he circumvents Produb by only downloading direct to the playout device. I think his concern now is that if a guest gives him some music, or even a complete play list, he will then be in breach of this clause, and be liable for the cost of a Produb licence, which he has so far managed to avoid.

I'm not sure whether this would be the case, because I'm afraid I can't even manage to get my head round this at all. So far I seem to have managed to understand the intricacies of the licence to my own satisfaction, but this has me beat. Sorry.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk