Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New laptop time.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Windows 8 my bottom!! It's RT, a cut down version, and loads of things don't work on it. Only the Pro are on the real thing.

Edit: Another stroke of genius shot down in flames. In the small print of the FAQ of upgrading to 10, I note that Windows RT won't upgrade to 10. Grrrr.
    Aaaahhhhh Windows RT....a right pain in the posterior for us that develop software.
    It relies on a coding language that Microsoft was talking about making obsolete....shortly after everyone went out and spend thousands of pounds and hundreds of hours getting their heads around.

The "big idea" was to retire what's known as "Windows Forms" and bring in something called "XAML" (I won't bore you any further than that), which worked on PC's, laptops, tablets and phones. The idea was that we wrote the code once, and it worked on everything <cough>.

As much as I hate products of the orchard variety (says he owning one of their phones, two of their tablets and a watch ), they seem to have it right somewhere along the line. They don't move the goalposts for people trying to develop software for their platform anywhere near as much as those from Microshaft

How much will it cost to relieve yourself Peter from pc world's grasp? We can do a charity ball if you like... Anybody know a DJ who will work for a plate of cheap buffet food?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Save £700 by dropping to 8Gb of ram. Seems to me that HDD size nowadays isn't as important as it once was. Having lots of RAM is.
    Yep, I need RAM more than I need disk space, so 256Gb with 16Gb of RAM is fine for me.

On the subject of Surface tablets, I wonder if the new non Pro versions will be running on a full Windows 10? That could persuade me to swap my Surface in a year or so. Hmmm.
    Windows RT will only run on ARM devices, the whole surface range is now Intel. There hasn't been a new Windows RT device released in over 2 years.

So yes, the new Surfaces all run full Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Anyone want a fully working Acer Ferrari 4000?
    Possibly, if I can get mates rates and you can wait till after Christmas . Email me the specs and a price.
    Hmmm....it won't be much, they go on eBay for around £100. That said, mine is in very good condition, had little use, and is max'd out in RAM (a whopping 2Gb instead of the factory installed 1Gb). So £100 mates rates Leave it with me, I'll do a factory reset on it and see how it performs...and get back to you!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    As other people have pointed out - PC World will offer you what appears to be a good deal (relative to what you have now) to keep you with them and keep you locked in. It's the usual tricks of the trade. Overall though, their deals are appalling and I've got to agree with comments above ref their "know how" and attitude to customer service.

There are a TON of ex-corporate laptops on eBay which are all well suited to the job of DJ'ing. The other plus side is because these models have been churned out in their 1,000's, spare parts are abundant and cheap.

I've just bought one of these for my daughter for Xmas, but these are capable machines and would be more than up to the job for DJ'ing (though you may want to look for one with dedicated graphics if you do a lot of video):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3218424636...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Julian
    I might consider something like this for general use as it has my favourite Windows Version (7 )

CRAZY K

OK folks, despite your earnest advice to the contrary, fiscal prudence dictates another trip to Currys/PCW.

What would you chose from the shortlist of four?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

And the news you were probably expecting but hoping it would be something else ... my choice would be the i5 HP - easy to justify the extra expense based on that alone.

OK folks, despite your earnest advice to the contrary, fiscal prudence dictates another trip to Currys/PCW.

What would you chose from the shortlist of four?
    They'll all do the job. The most expensive HP has the best cpu. I'd prefer a higher screen resolution than all of them personally

Quote Originally Posted by RobKennedy View Post
    And the news you were probably expecting but hoping it would be something else ... my choice would be the i5 HP - easy to justify the extra expense based on that alone.
    To be honest, once I'd put the comparison up, the answer became self evident. That one wasn't in my budget before the sale, so in many ways a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    They'll all do the job. The most expensive HP has the best cpu. I'd prefer a higher screen resolution than all of them personally
    Numpty alert. It's going to be used for VDJ. Why do I need higher resolution? I can see what I have now, so I expect this to be no worse, if not better.

Thanks chaps.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

The more expensive HP would be my choice.

Numpty alert. It's going to be used for VDJ. Why do I need higher resolution? I can see what I have now, so I expect this to be no worse, if not better.

Thanks chaps.
    If it's the same or better to your current laptop and you've no complaints then no biggie. You can just fit more on the screen. I prefer to have more information rather than big fonts and buttons.

I think my DJ laptop is 1600x900 (14" screen) and in traktor it means when 4 decks are visible I can also see around 4-5 tracks listed below in the library where as it's a mere 1-2 tracks on my other laptop 15.6" screen of the resolution the 4 laptops you showed me.