Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless DMX retro fit of my fixtures!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpobass View Post
    Ok, thank You. Have seen that before. So that means that PIN4 must be connected XLR1? I might sound stupid, but my brain is locked on these
    No. Usually dmx pin 1 (dmx 0v or dmx gnd) should be common to the power supply 0v.

This is the way i connect these. Varying D-/D+ but doesn't work. Am i still missing something here?

Name:  IMG_4146.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  59.4 KB

Aha!

Well. Is the 5v psu part of the fixture? I was assuming it was. I've converted all my lights this way.

If not, you'll need to connect xlr pin 1 to your psu 0v because otherwise there'll be no reference for the dmx.

No, this is transmitter side with external wall-psu. My DMX-controller is connected to laptop via USB. Just tested won't work with wall-psu negative connected to PIN1 on XLR OUT.

I think its better someone to draw real connections so anyone can see. Something like my picture above. Please draw transmitter side and receiver side. Thanks.
    Last edited by Alpobass; 02-11-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Should user connect hardwired from USB-DMX-box to first ficture and from there continue via wireless DMX?

Well, this connection (blue line) did not help on transmitter side in this case (USB-DMX-box)...

Name:  IMG_4146b.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  65.0 KB
    Last edited by Alpobass; 02-11-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Ok, I figured it out!

On transmitter side, DMX pin1 must be connected to fixtures PSU negative as it usually is.

On receiver side it doesn't matter.

For the avoidance of doubt, don't call 0V negative (because it isn't!)

Also, you realise that you can power your wireless DMX transmitter from USB don't you? I have my wireless DMX in the same box as my USB DMX adapter & it doesn't need an external PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    For the avoidance of doubt, don't call 0V negative (because it isn't!)

Also, you realise that you can power your wireless DMX transmitter from USB don't you? I have my wireless DMX in the same box as my USB DMX adapter & it doesn't need an external PSU.
    Well I have been told from school days that in DC side there is positive and negative.

I have to check that USB powering, maby i can build it inside my USB-DMX box!
    Last edited by Alpobass; 04-11-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpobass View Post
    Well I have been told from school days that in DC side there is positive and negative.

I have to check that USB powering, maby i can build it inside my USB-DMX box!
    + is positive with respect to 0v. Negative would be er.. negative with respect to 0v. In split rail supplies, you can have +5, 0 and -5V for example. 0V in that case really shouldn't be called negative

Semantics!

Name:  23275658_1891855714164487_8886376526400308075_o.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  82.8 KBI made these boxes for people who didnt want to open up the lights. Piggybacks on the IEC for power, and sticks on the back of the fixture. Not as cheap as a dongle, but doesn't need charged or a silly 5v psu lead.
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture