Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rechargable uplighters

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Even if your portable wireless battery powered (and EXPENSIVE) lights don't leave the venue, 'playful' guests relocating them could turn into a bit of a nightmare. It'd be just as easy to pinch a mains powered uplighting fixture - has anybody heard of this happening?
    Nope - but during a drunken 80s cocktail night last week I experienced my beloved Freedom sticks being used as light sabres....grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

I've looked into uplighting....and shied away from it. Most of the pro wedding venues in this neck of the woods have installed their own up/down-lighting solutions so it's really not worth my while investing the capital into something which will only go out 2-3 times a year unfortunately whether battery or mains powered. Keeping an eye on the "sticks" is enough of a job in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    has anybody heard of this happening?
    I have lost a couple, but only in the more early days during the larger Christmas functions. I do quite nice events mind you, so people without a vested interest or of an unscrupulous nature might think they would look nice in their living room! I have plugged in my battery ones as they charge whilst in operation so thats has helped. People are used to them being at events now, so there is less "wow they look nice" appeal these days.

In terms of prices, I know I buy Chinese ones, but for the price they are VERY bright and last years. I still would not batter an eyelid paying £600 for solid/compact ones as its an up-sellable product, so you will make the money back very quickly. I have always charged about £120 for a full room, but I know you can charge more, especially for wireless ones. As I have said they are ten a penny now, but not DMXing (& controlling) them in the the main rig is a big mistake, its completely transformed my show.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    something which will only go out 2-3 times a year
    Really I always get bookings for uplighting, but use them even when they are not booked as they make such a difference. They are fully DMX'd though, I feel naked not having the room changing colour and I am sure that has an effect on the overall evening on 'vibe' & uptake on dancing. I usually market it as "the cheapest way to transform the room, at £120 its brilliant value for money". Even in my residency its a no brainer.

Come on any not a retro video from 2010 (I don't post enough these days).
    This has done wonders, even today. I was still using the big silver stairville cans back then.

Last edited by yourdj; 07-03-2018 at 05:47 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I have always charged about £120 for a full room, but I know you can charge more, especially for wireless ones. As I have said they are ten a penny now, but not DMXing (& controlling) them in the the main rig is a big mistake, its completely transformed my show.
    Not wanting to get into a price thread, but is the £120 almost a 'set fee' ? and is that controlled or static colour ?

Just I charge £100 for uplighting (contrary to local rumours that I give it out for free lol) as struggle to sell it for any more. I offer a few par cans (2 or 4 normally) with every booking as thing there is nothing worse than a DJ in the dark. I get about 70% booking uplighting, and was considering increasing the price as I used to charge a lot more.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Nope - but during a drunken 80s cocktail night last week I experienced my beloved Freedom sticks being used as light sabres....grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!
    The fear expressed by everyone at a meeting!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Not wanting to get into a price thread, but is the £120 almost a 'set fee' ? and is that controlled or static colour ?

Just I charge £100 for uplighting (contrary to local rumours that I give it out for free lol) as struggle to sell it for any more. I offer a few par cans (2 or 4 normally) with every booking as thing there is nothing worse than a DJ in the dark. I get about 70% booking uplighting, and was considering increasing the price as I used to charge a lot more.
    Pretty much as most the rooms I do are the same size and I only work in one area now. The lights are also very bright, so I only need 6 lights in an average room, when not doing all day. All wireless DMX and on control with the main DJ lighting. If I was doing more architectural venues or putting lighting in difficult areas (on archways etc.) then I would certainly charge more, but as it is i throw them out in about a minute and they are set to go. Compared with some of my other extras (like clouds) its a doddle and makes the room much nicer.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Its all backed up on Ali express and the companies have proper accredited history (Alibaba is now a PLC), the companies on it have become very professional, but even in the earlier days I used IBAN without any issues.
    That definitely would have changed my decision...

I think as you found there are second hand deals out there, but not knowing the battery status is always the limiting factor.
    These were brand new, but had clearly been sitting in a box somewhere for some time for the batteries to have discharged as far as they did.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography