Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: speakers and amp set ups

Just to put my money where my mouth is.....
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Quote Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
    You will find some of my own gear here:

http://www.ckp-railways.talktalk.net/proof.htm
    That wasn't that hard was it?
    Nigel please don't ever think I'm putting you down!!!! I have the utmost respect for anyone that is prepared to attempt to build their own equipment and try to break from the norm..... I must admit though make a better case for your amp! or you can buy them for a few quid "think RS componants do them in 19" rack mount" I made my own but it took me weeks, but I was young and stupid then! and I dont do elecrtonics now too bloody fiddly!
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

nigelwright7557

Quote Originally Posted by colint View Post
    That wasn't that hard was it?
    Nigel please don't ever think I'm putting you down!!!! I have the utmost respect for anyone that is prepared to attempt to build their own equipment and try to break from the norm..... I must admit though make a better case for your amp! or you can buy them for a few quid "think RS componants do them in 19" rack mount" I made my own but it took me weeks, but I was young and stupid then! and I dont do elecrtonics now too bloody fiddly!
    I use PC cases partly out of laziness.
    They are useful for the number of ready made fan mountings.
    The PC case is also big enough to get a really hefty heatsink inside.
    I usually strip out the power supply and leave the mains socket to connect my amp to.

To get an enclosure from RS the same size as the PC case would be quite a price. I can get a PC case for less than £20 off ebay. I like the desktop PC cases best as I can sit a mixer on top of it.

I like to build my own amps for a few reasons.
    If I designed it then I have the circuit diagrams to fix it.
    I can also over spec the heatsinking and fans.
    Last edited by nigelwright7557; 10-10-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
    I use PC cases partly out of laziness.
    They are useful for the number of ready made fan mountings.
    The PC case is also big enough to get a really hefty heatsink inside.
    I usually strip out the power supply and leave the mains socket to connect my amp to.

To get an enclosure from RS the same size as the PC case would be quite a price. I can get a PC case for less than £20 off ebay. I like the desktop PC cases best as I can sit a mixer on top of it.
    Nigel! we need to get you up to date! get yourself a nice rack case (and for the mixer) and rack mount all your kit? it's so much better and looks the part too! wouldn't cost much easier to set up and would look more pro too!

Default What would happen If ....

Without going into numbers, Too little or too much wattage could blow the drivers and horns.

It is best to have an amplifier and speakers of the same wattage, or if you're using 300 watts @ 8 ohms, buy an amp which is 1300 watts @ 4 ohms.

The other solution of course if to use an Active system, by having each cabinet self powered, you eliminate the chance of blowing anything, as the amplifier has been designed specificly for that speaker in question.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMaxG View Post
    Without going into numbers, Too little or too much wattage could blow the drivers and horns.

It is best to have an amplifier and speakers of the same wattage, or if you're using 300 watts @ 8 ohms, buy an amp which is 1300 watts @ 4 ohms.

The other solution of course if to use an Active system, by having each cabinet self powered, you eliminate the chance of blowing anything, as the amplifier has been designed specificly for that speaker in question.
    Tell Twinspin that then. He obviously didn't need to have his RCF's repaired, as according to you they must have still been OK.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

The guy at DFB Sound and Light told me the same, they are supposedly less reliable.
    Must be true then...

As long as we have facts and figures too back up this latest nugget as we normally do from you.

They can still malfunction, be overpowered if reaches the clip point.
    I know someone with RCF's and they have been in for repair before.

Another DJs Active Wharfedales both packed in. It was the crossover on one, not sure about the other. It must be a thing with Active speakers, can easily go faulty. The guy at DFB Sound and Light told me the same, they are supposedly less reliable.
    Is it just me, or is there a slight difference of opinion between these two posts from the same person? It really is very difficult for an old DJ of very little brain.

I think someone may have been at the cooking sherry!

if you used use a 1300 watt amp on a pair of 300watt speakers the inevitable will happen (fried drivers) on a 1000 watt driver maybe? but not 300watts

using an active system make's no diference drive it into clip and bye bye drivers!
    as has been discussed on many other posts, there is no problem what so ever in using a small amp on larger powered speakers as long as you don't clip the amp,
    A simple rule: red means stop!!!! if you see a red light it's time to back off
    not hard really is it? and that also goes for mixers, crossover's, and anything else in the sound chain
    Last edited by colint; 25-04-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by colint View Post
    A simple rule: red means stop!!!! if you see a red light it's time to back off
    not hard really is it? and that also goes for mixers, crossover's, and anything else in the sound chain