Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Do I need to put the camera away?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Not ever edited a photo post production. I need to get on to that really, but I like to think I can take a decent pic using histograms even on my 100d and 24mm pancake (its actually amazing for what it is and SO tiny). I can certainly see the benefits of light room, especially when doing it for a job. I have creative suite on a file on my computer, just need to install it!
    You are massively missing out. Shooting in RAW and then editing that RAW file in Photoshop (or Lightroom) opens up a whole new world.

That's where I find you can take a good photo in to a great photo. I shoot on the basis I'll be editing the RAW file, so I bring the contrast right down (-3 on my Nikon) which gives me more range and underexpose (easier to bring up something that's underexposed than it is to recover something that's overexposed).

When you see what control you get over the RAW file, you'll never want to go back to shooting JPEG again.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    When you see what control you get over the RAW file, you'll never want to go back to shooting JPEG again.
    Pretty much this. I like to crank up the contrast I'm my photos, especially the black and whites. JPEGs look too flat in my opinion and I'd rather decide how my photo is processed than leaving it up to the camera.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I'd be really interested to know the exact details (lens length, f stop, shutter, etc) - I would have put most of these at F4 or above based on the depth of field.
    Right then...can't be arsed uploading ten pics again with the relevant data, so I'm afraid that you'll have to bounce back and forth in the thread.