Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Protecting Your Ears

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I have a column array known at the Maui28 (and a fantastic bit of kit it is too....much nicer on the ears) - you know....the ones I scrim in white?
    so there's times when the DXRs still come into play because they're the best tool for the job.
    Yes of course you do. I agree with DXR's being good for something for more umpphhh.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Yes of course you do. I agree with DXR's being good for something for more umpphhh.
    There are certain venues where I use certain combos of PA.
    * The Maui's are good in most situations - however with a younger crowd that want it loud, I have clipped them a couple of times.
    * The DXR15s are good in places where you need the volume but are on a stage (I don't like using bass bins on a wooden stage and putting them in front tends to lead to things being put on them)
    * The DXR8/DSR12 combo (which I used in a marquee last weekend) are brilliant in marquees or any larger venue where you're on the same level as the dancers as they put that little bit of extra oomph out onto the floor. Last weekend was the first time in ages those ones have been out and I'd forgotten just how awesome they are!

Back to the plot - just been reading up on some of the specs for these herring aids....as well as doubling up as MP3 earbuds, they also work as a bluetooth hands free kit! There's even some sort of "app" for them (still need to look at that one!).

My head is about to become digital

My head is about to become digital
    WAV or MP3?

Seriously, Wayne: Ouch.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

a younger crowd that want it loud, I have clipped them a couple of times.
    I use the same combination on the one of two proms I have each year. Thomann Box Pro columns & LD Dave Sub does not even cut through 200 people, although it delivers really nice high end to the back (I will get some pars up high next time as on the floor they were useless).

I used one DXR15 in this case, but I would use 2 in future. If I had the room in my car I would also bring subs. I usually use a DBR12 for marquee weddings / small parties (as dance floor Umph), but it did not even cut through in the room below, so I did not even use it. Quite an eye opener actually as I usually do weddings and smaller teen functions.

Would be good to use the hearing aid as a monitor!! People will think your mixing skills are awesome!!
    Last edited by yourdj; 24-05-2018 at 07:46 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

You don't necessarily need to splurge on ACS customs to protect your hearing. I've been using Earpeace hearing protection for quite a while now & never gig without them. They're comfy & once you get used to using a mic with them in you never have to take them out.

That said, I'm pondering going for some custom moulded ones with in-ear monitoring. They're all taxiductable of course

Sorry to hear about your hearing Wayne I had no idea yours was so bad. Definitely a good thing you got checked out when you did!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    You don't necessarily need to splurge on ACS customs to protect your hearing. I've been using Earpeace hearing protection for quite a while now & never gig without them. They're comfy & once you get used to using a mic with them in you never have to take them out.
    I've gone from ACS generics to ACS Customs (which I've had for nearly 2 years now) and were the best purchase I've made.

The generics were OK and seemed fine - until I realised how much better the customs were - a whole different experience.

I even use them on the plane.

They're all taxiductable of course

Never understood the attitude of 'tax deductible'.

Instead of tax deductible, think of it as 'profit reducing', which is what it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I've gone from ACS generics to ACS Customs (which I've had for nearly 2 years now) and were the best purchase I've made.

The generics were OK and seemed fine - until I realised how much better the customs were - a whole different experience.

I even use them on the plane.
    One of the purposes of going along yesterday was to see about having customs made (Boots do the fitting for ACS), but since they were offering the hearing test for free and I'd been having problems, I took that offer up - and I'm glad I did to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Never understood the attitude of 'tax deductible'.

Instead of tax deductible, think of it as 'profit reducing', which is what it really is.
    Depends on the circumstances Gavin....
    In this case, I either EARN the £3k, pay tax on it (so it's more than £3k gross in reality), or let the business pay for them (which I'm checking out at the moment but it seems that's allowed as I need to be able to work) and don't pay tax or NI on it.

Yes, it's profit reducing (and I hate that), BUT, it also avoids having to pay income tax and NI on that amount in the first place. I've got to shell out the £3k somewhere along the line whether from the business directly or from my own pocket - might as well do it in the most efficient way

What Wayne said about 'tax deductible' is my way of thinking. It's a legit business expense so it goes in & is more financially efficient than if I just pay out of my own wallet.

What Wayne said about 'tax deductible' is my way of thinking. It's a legit business expense so it goes in & is more financially efficient than if I just pay out of my own wallet.
    It's the only time I do this sort of thing. Just buying kit to reduce the tax bill has always seemed completely pointless to me (and HMRC do look at that sort of thing as well - in effect you're claiming capital expenditure on a hobby as far as they're concerned).

Good news - my bean counter says that so long as Boots have said it's the disco causing the problems and that I need the aids to do my job (and they have - I watched her type it all into the system), the aids AND the batteries can go through the books

It's the only time I do this sort of thing. Just buying kit to reduce the tax bill has always seemed completely pointless to me (and HMRC do look at that sort of thing as well - in effect you're claiming capital expenditure on a hobby as far as they're concerned).
    I see where you are coming from - I think a lot of people thing 'Tax Deductible' means they get them for free not just save the tax payment. Never understood either these people who say 'I have to spend some money' or 'my accountant has told me to spend more' - yeah, it can save you tax payment that year - but leaving it till the next tax year will save you the same amount. As you say, if questioned you have to justify every purchase - been there, done that (although have to admit a DJ who doesn't do video discos buying 6 tvs in a year was questionable lol)
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk