Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Genuinely Surprised By This

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Is that a real problem? Do any of you use lasers, or been asked about them by photographers?
    I get asked about it all the time by 'togs. I don't have them 'cos they look crap and those that do use them (for the most part) use them incorrectly and have them pointing directly at the audience. The damage to cameras has happened a fair few times before, but this story really got some traction over the weekend.

Is that a real problem? Do any of you use lasers, or been asked about them by photographers?
    It is - I know of a photographer that's been affected in the past.

My solution is simple - I don't actually OWN any lasers (I don't like the effect personally and to get anything like some of those that used to flash across the top of BPM where out of my budget by several thousand pounds!)

When it comes to the actual FD photos....I used to boast that I could coordinate lighting colours etc. to match their theme for the first dance. Then I started asking the 'toggers what THEY preferred because let's face it....they're the ones that have to capture the moment. Whilst I sometimes still have pink/blue/gold/[insert bride's theme colour here], it's now predominantly WHITE, only changing to colour once the rest of the guests join them on the dance floor.

Now as for the haze/no-haze debate for the FD....that's one for another day

I don't user lasers. The *right* effect from lasers costs too much, and requires haze/smoke - which I also don't have.

The main reason I don't use lasers is for the benefit of a photographer, but not for the reason in the link.

Lasers on a white dress look awful. And odd marks on their face - not quite the dream photo they were looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

Lasers on a white dress look awful. And odd marks on their face - not quite the dream photo they were looking for!
    And now you have realised how to " persuade" recalcitrant photographers to toe the line. " Play the game, or the bride gets the laser treatment, both barrels".
    Last edited by Excalibur; 14-11-2019 at 07:13 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    It is - I know of a photographer that's been affected in the past.

My solution is simple - I don't actually OWN any lasers (I don't like the effect personally and to get anything like some of those that used to flash across the top of BPM where out of my budget by several thousand pounds!)

When it comes to the actual FD photos....I used to boast that I could coordinate lighting colours etc. to match their theme for the first dance. Then I started asking the 'toggers what THEY preferred because let's face it....they're the ones that have to capture the moment. Whilst I sometimes still have pink/blue/gold/[insert bride's theme colour here], it's now predominantly WHITE, only changing to colour once the rest of the guests join them on the dance floor.

Now as for the haze/no-haze debate for the FD....that's one for another day
    SNAP.

I will happily co-ordinate mood lights and programme them for throughout the night but first dance for several years has been white, I actually now tend to keep everything on my 1st dance scene for the first few scenes if people are dancing to help the tog out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I will happily co-ordinate mood lights and programme them for throughout the night but first dance for several years has been white, I actually now tend to keep everything on my 1st dance scene for the first few scenes if people are dancing to help the tog out.
    A few weeks back I had three weddings in a row with different photographers. The first asked me to ditch the colour in the uplighters for the first dance to help him out, the other two told me they don't care (as long as I'm not using lasers). Personally, I prefer there to be a bit of colour in the room behind the B&G. While I get the whole colour cast thing, speedlites should be able to easily overpower that and it saves dull photos with the B&G floating in a dark (or white) room.

Mind, I was the first photographers best friend for the space of 30mins just because I said I *could* control the lighting - he said the majority of DJ's just tell them that they can't do it

Julian
    Last edited by Marc J; 16-11-2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    A few weeks back I had three weddings in a row with different photographers. The first asked me to ditch the colour in the uplighters for the first dance to help him out, the other two told me they don't care (as long as I'm not using lasers). Personally, I prefer there to be a bit of colour in the room behind the B&G. While I get the whole colour cast thing, speedlites should be able to easily overpower that and it saves dull photos with the B&G floating in a dark (or white) room.

Mind, I was the first photographers best friend for the space of 30mins just because I said I *could* control the lighting - he said the majority of DJ's just tell them that they can't do it

Julian
    Can't as I can't be arsed DMXing. Christ most lights these days must come with sone sort of remote.

SNAP.

Common sense, I'd have said. My first job is to set the lights for first dance, and leave them thus till it's over. One less thing to organise.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

Julian
    is right! " The majority of DJs " seem to be a particularly unimpressive bunch. The more I see/hear about on my travels, the more I think that there must be a lot of DJs putting out a service that's not at all customer focussed.

Can't as I can't be arsed DMXing. Christ most lights these days must come with some sort of remote.
    Come on Jim, even I can push faders to make the lights change colour.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Bring out yer dead!

Slightly behind schedule, but I've now officially launched the Photography business with a brand new website.

I popped a short video on my Social Media pages and I'm working on the SEO for this site myself. I'm now at that point where I have to be patient (Google has only just acknowledged that the website exists) which is a bit frustrating as I am raring to go but, alas, this is just the beginnings of what will hopefully be exciting times.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Slightly behind schedule, but I've now officially launched the Photography business with a brand new website.
    Nice site, Benny, but I've got to be honest it's very slow, especially first page view. For me it was more than 5 seconds of your "loading" coloured box animation. Despite disabling my browser cache I haven't got it to go quite that slow again, so maybe just a temporary glitch?

On your portfolio page, when clicking on a filtered set of photos, the next and previous still go through the whole unfiltered set of photos, which is unexpected and perhaps annoying for visitors. On the technical side, your "fancybox" selector should only be targeting the visible elements on the page, something like : -

<script>
    $(function () {
    $('[data-fancybox="gallery"]:visible').fancybox({
    buttons: [
    "close"
    ],
    loop: true
    });
    });
    </script>