Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The great van conundrum...part 2

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Nice work, Wayne.

I contemplated the same van when I was on the hunt for mine last year. Sadly, the loading space wasn't enough for me but if it was, it would have been a very serious contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Nice work, Wayne.

I contemplated the same van when I was on the hunt for mine last year. Sadly, the loading space wasn't enough for me but if it was, it would have been a very serious contender.
    I'm quite chuffed - so long as it doesn't turn out to be a lemon (I hate buying any sort of vehicle).

Loading-wise, yes it's going to be tight. But then, kit is getting smaller, I keep compacting the amount of stuff I take with me. It's only about a foot shorter than what I have now so should be OK.

Glad you got it sorted. I had a few "oh bloody heck" moments when it came to the van going belly up on me.

I lease my van now, having worked out the cost broken down per month over a few years it only works out about being £50 pcm more to lease one (I have a LWB high roof). It also means I get a nice new van against risking a second hand one and it also spreads the investment out per month rather than asking you to cough it all up at once. Of course you could always put aside a set amount per month and use that when the time comes but I doubt I'll buy another van now.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    I lease my van now, having worked out the cost broken down per month over a few years it only works out about being £50 pcm more to lease one (I have a LWB high roof). It also means I get a nice new van against risking a second hand one and it also spreads the investment out per month rather than asking you to cough it all up at once. Of course you could always put aside a set amount per month and use that when the time comes but I doubt I'll buy another van now.
    That's the plan for future vans having done my own cost breakdowns.

Couldn't really do it this time around due to not even having completed a full year of self-employment....want things to stabilise first before going into legal arrangements for things like vans.

I've never been able to make the sums add up for leasing a van vs buying. I'm either looking in the wrong places for leasing or it's because I tend towards 2-3yr second hand vehicles which have already done a good load of depreciation...

I'd love someone to tell me how to make it add up as I like new van smell

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Glad you got it sorted. I had a few "oh bloody heck" moments when it came to the van going belly up on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    That's the plan for future vans having done my own cost breakdowns.

Couldn't really do it this time around due to not even having completed a full year of self-employment....want things to stabilise first before going into legal arrangements for things like vans.
    I'm sure both you chaps are savvy enough, but just beware swinging penalty clauses on leases, like a maximum mileage, and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I've never been able to make the sums add up for leasing a van vs buying. I'm either looking in the wrong places for leasing or it's because I tend towards 2-3yr second hand vehicles which have already done a good load of depreciation...

I'd love someone to tell me how to make it add up as I like new van smell

Julian
    2-3 years? Ah well, I can dream.

Hope you are all happy with your motors, chaps. Happy motoring.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    2-3 years? Ah well, I can dream.
    I'm still young and employable enough to get easy access to credit. Otherwise I'd be dreaming too. You just need to stop buying PA systems

Totally off topic - but how are you finding the Maui5 Go? I'm waiting for my local dealer to line me up a demo.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I'm still young and employable enough to get easy access to credit. Otherwise I'd be dreaming too. You just need to stop buying PA systems

Totally off topic - but how are you finding the Maui5 Go? I'm waiting for my local dealer to line me up a demo.

Julian
    I would say "Get your annoyingly young self some credit, and get a GO ( preferably two. Don't like asymetry) bought ", but that would contravene " listen before you buy ". It's a 5 with batteries and a line out. What's not to like? I haven't tested it for battery run time, but it's alleged to be a lot.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I'm sure both you chaps are savvy enough, but just beware swinging penalty clauses on leases, like a maximum mileage, and the like.

I'm with Vanarama and it's very low, like frictions of a penny.

That said I'll need to add it up as my payments are based on 18k a year and I'm going way over that. Comes to just shy of £300 including VAT over a 5 year term with no deposit as a "ballpark" figure for you guys.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I brought a brand new Vivaro van a few years ago and paid £269 a month for it. Never looked back and since then i have a few van now and all brought