Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: I'm bored, so....

Default I'm bored, so....

I'm bored. I've been under house arrest for two days and I want to "play" with some remixing of my own.

I've just listened to SGT Slick's Gimme Gimme Gimme, and believe it or not, ABBA is where I'd like to start to "modernise". It's really simple (and the haters are going to hate), but I play a lot of ABBA and I'd like it to be punchier.

Here's the question though....how do you get the tracks in different layers (if that makes sense), and add your own bass line/beats?
    I seem to remember you could buy the "stems" from somewhere....anyone got any ideas of where?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I'm bored. I've been under house arrest for two days and I want to "play" with some remixing of my own.

I've just listened to SGT Slick's Gimme Gimme Gimme, and believe it or not, ABBA is where I'd like to start to "modernise". It's really simple (and the haters are going to hate), but I play a lot of ABBA and I'd like it to be punchier.

Here's the question though....how do you get the tracks in different layers (if that makes sense), and add your own bass line/beats?
    I seem to remember you could buy the "stems" from somewhere....anyone got any ideas of where?
    There's really no alternative with older tracks if you're after stems or multitracks - you need to go looking under rocks. There's a certain Russian site I'm aware of but I doubt there's any Abba stuff on there.

DJ edits often involve playing along with the original track to add more drums or bass. My weapon of choice for this is Ableton Live. The starting point with any older track is to 'warp' it so its timing is metronomic - ie absolutely spot on, aka quantising it or beatgridding it.

AI separation tech isn't cheap but it's getting better but none of it can truly isolate instruments, drums or vocals & I doubt it ever will.

Regarding 'playing along' with additional instruments - I don't own a midi keyboard anymore so everything I do is bashed in with my laptop keyboard (yes really!) or done via a grid editor