PDA

View Full Version : What laptop?

franczola
28-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Hi,

Having decided on dj software, Id now like some help on what type of laptop to buy to run the software on.

Do you have any thoughts on the most reliable, or best specs to get?

I think I'll get Mixmeister Studio software, and it states minimum system requirements on thier website, but wondored if anyone had any thoughts beyond this?

Thanks,
Franc'

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-12-2007, 11:32 AM
I think I'll get Mixmeister Studio software, and it states minimum system requirements on thier website

Which are.....?

franczola
28-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Windows XP or Vista
Intel Pentium or AMD Athlon 1.0 GHz or higher
256 MB RAM (512 MB recommended)
Sound card
Supported File Types

Sam
28-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Windows XP or Vista
Sound card
Supported File Types

Can't say for running that software... but I use two viaos..... awesome machines =)

Jiggles
28-12-2007, 12:00 PM
here you go: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Laptops/Gateway+Vista+3400%2B+Crystalbrite+Laptop+?product Id=29291&noVat=0

Or http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Laptops/Asus+EEE+PC+4G-W+7%22+Notebook+?productId=29435 :D:D

franczola
28-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks,

Good prices for these.
Thought id be looking at the £300-£400 mark for a good quality, reliable machine?

Do you use either of these?

Franc'

Jiggles
28-12-2007, 12:26 PM
i dont use either of them. the last one was a bit of a joke :D. the the first one is good for the price IMO.

franczola
28-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Ok!

Another thread mentions windows Vista being slow.
Id rather get a laptop with windows XP with this in mind.

Franc'

sleah
28-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Windows XP or Vista
Sound card
Supported File Types

If that's the quoted minimum spec, then I'd say go much higher. Minimum is just that! It'll just about run on that spec.
Don't even consider 256mb for any operating system, go for minimum of 512 or higher if you can afford it.
It's worth sacrificing a little processor speed for more memory if budget is an issue.
Most are equivalent to 2Ghz or more now anyway, so just get something with a ton of memory in it:D

franczola
28-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Yes, as I thought.

Im not technically gifted with laptop specs, so are you able to let me know what laptops you use for your primary sound please.

Thanks,
Franc'

Dragonfly
28-12-2007, 05:12 PM
My main system is a compaq presario 2541eu 2.8 ghz 512 mb RAM which is great never had a problem with it ... and it was free !!!! (members of the family are blonde)

I have just bought a second hand back up laptop Compaq presario 2104eu 2.4 ghz with 1GB RAM not tested it yet as need to get bits and bobs to acompany it.

franczola
28-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks,

Done a search for those laptops, but cant seem to find them??

Would you recommend compaq laptops, or would any brand be ok as long as they had the similar spec to yours?

Thanks,
Franc'

Dragonfly
28-12-2007, 05:31 PM
to be honest im no authority its my first two laptops i got both compaq so they matched ..... a little bit of asthetics lol.

the 2541eu was given to me as my sister is a bit dippy lol. its never crashed or let me down in any way at all in about 4 months or so so i cant complain ...

it does stutter if you scroll fast down lists which is a known problem with pcdj fx not the laptop....

I have today installed new video drivers in it though which is supposed to stop this??? so we will see tomorrow night. (thanks Callum)

Jiggles
28-12-2007, 06:36 PM
I hope it helps! I would try it before had!!!

franczola
28-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Ok thanks.

Not too much of a rush to get a laptop yet anyway.

Just as well, as i think im going to need to spend a bit to get a half decent spec and may need to save for a while.

Franc'

Actually, just a thought here for the tech guys...

Until i get a new laptop to run my primary sound, would i be able to buy the external hard drive now (that will eventually become my back-up, when i get my new laptop), and start loading my cd's onto it now?

Then when i get the laptop, can just duplicate my external hard drive contents, onto the laptop?

Franc'

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Until i get a new laptop to run my primary sound, would i be able to buy the external hard drive now (that will eventually become my back-up, when i get my new laptop), and start loading my cd's onto it now?

If you have something to plug it into, yes.

franczola
28-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Yes thanks.

I have my work laptop that I can plug it into for the time being.

Franc'

sleah
28-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Yes, as I thought.

Im not technically gifted with laptop specs, so are you able to let me know what laptops you use for your primary sound please.

Thanks,
Franc'

Few years old....... HP/compaq nx9010
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz/768Mb 80Gb disk
Running XP SP2 PCDJ blue vrm, all mp3's on board (no external disk), MAYA44 USB sound. Home-built controller (like DAC3)

Vectis
28-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Yes, as I thought.

Thanks,
Franc'

Primary sound laptop is a Dell D620 with 1.6GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD. I use external bus-powered HDDs (Freecom Toughdrive Pro) but carry a couple of thousand 'sure fire hits' on the internal HDD just in case. I run OTS DJ.

Secondary is an IBM Thinkpad T21 with 700MHz Pentium 3, 256MB RAM, 20GB HDD running OTS Turntables silver (perfectly). This is also my DMX laptop running freestyler and the maplin £60 do-it-yourself DMX controller kit.

Both running XP - Vista is NOT coming anywhere near my setup for the foreseeable.

I also run a Dell Inspiron 9400 with 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD and 256MB Radeon X1400 video card for R4, shadowdancers, videos etc.. XP again.

My advice would be to exceed the spec. required by whichever software package you do decide on... particularly in the memory (RAM) area and to go for a big brand with a decent warranty (ie HP/Compaq, Lenovo (IBM), Dell, Acer). Sure, you can probably get a sexier spec. for the same money with a 'no-brand' but this is your livelihood you're talking about here. Avoid Vista for the time being. Also, disable any software and services you don't actually need and NEVER let it near the internet if it's your primary playout device. Then you don't need troublesome anti-virus or anti-spyware products gobbling up CPU/IO cycles at the wrong moment introducing artificial delays to your playout software.

franczola
28-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Good helpful advise, thanks.

yourdj
05-01-2008, 04:00 PM
If you can stretch a bit further and the software is supported i would definitely go MAC powerbook. mine has never crashed, never get viruses and things are so less complicated than windows when you get used to it. its a musical performance standard machine. best thing i ever bought!

leighinstoke
05-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Tips:

Get yourself a spare PSU - and make it a genuine one if possible.

Also - an optical mouse or trackball are beneficial - it's great having a touchpad but I found DJing with one all evening becomes quite tedious.

You might want to remap F11 and F12 if your software doesn't use them - you can make them act as something you need in the software. As an example, I've remapped them for PCDJ to do the 'Load to Deck A' and 'Load to Deck B' which use the keypad - which is lacking on a laptop.

Finally - ground loop isolators are a good purchase before you come onto the forum as ask "How can I solve the weird noises from my laptop when plugged in?".

Leigh.....

Dragonfly
06-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Tips:

Get yourself a spare PSU - and make it a genuine one if possible.

Also - an optical mouse or trackball are beneficial - it's great having a touchpad but I found DJing with one all evening becomes quite tedious.

Leigh.....

good advice as also laptops such as Dell are renowned for catching the dreaded mouse drift disease (very easily fixed ) if you use the touch pad alot something you don't want in the middle of a gig , my compaq has a button next to the touch pad so you can disable it and use a mouse.