PDA

View Full Version : change of layout

Spirits High
02-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Guys,

Have had to change the template of my website due to the images on the old one going from dancers to some bloke on a mountain bike! (thanks 123 Reg)

Have gone for this one, not really had a chance to get any feedback on it yet so any thoughts would be good.

http://www.spiritshigh.org.uk

Penfold42
02-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Who's the gezza on the right.......:D

wensleydale
02-01-2008, 07:25 PM
is that you top right paul?

layout looks fine.

Spirits High
02-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Who's the gezza on the right.......:D

is that you top right paul?

layout looks fine.

See now that's where I hit upon a problem!

That was the only suitable template I could find!

Point 1: Although I don't actually say that's me do we think people will assume that is me?

Point 2: Can I get done for anything?

wensleydale
02-01-2008, 08:24 PM
do you want people to assume its you?

Jiggles
02-01-2008, 08:47 PM
www.freewebsitetemplates.co.uk :D thats where i got mine.

Spirits High
02-01-2008, 09:19 PM
do you want people to assume its you?

No, but I dont want to mislead people in thinking the bloke in the pic is going to turn up and they actually end up getting his older brother!:D :D

Penfold42
02-01-2008, 10:11 PM
No, but I dont want to mislead people in thinking the bloke in the pic is going to turn up and they actually end up getting his older brother!:D :D

You wish...more like 'Grandad'............:boxer2: :p :p :D :D :D :D :D :D :beer1:

Joking aside.....i like to lay out.......and colour....:)

rob1963
02-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Although I don't actually say that's me do we think people will assume that is me?

I don't think many people will assume the pic is you.

It looks more like a stockbroker than a DJ to me!

:p

Jiggles
02-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Rename your self Stockbroker Discos :D

Shaun
02-01-2008, 11:40 PM
It's nicely laid out, great colours and the content is very good, but I don't like the image on the right, it just makes it look like a template in my opinion. Is there any way the current image can be replaced by an image more suited to the type of work you do?.

Spirits High
03-01-2008, 07:23 AM
I don't like the image on the right, it just makes it look like a template in my opinion. Is there any way the current image can be replaced by an image more suited to the type of work you do?.

Having just checked it out again there's 3 differing head banners but they are all business/office orientated, the one i've got I feel is most suitable of the three so will stick with it as I like the look of it now.

Will have to ask Santa for a bespoke website for Christmas, but not holding my breath as he didn't bring me the Impossibled that I asked for last year! :D

Marc J
03-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Echo the comments made by others - the header image looks too "city business" and should be easily changeable with a half decent graphics package.

It looks like it's been done with a SiteBuilder thingy which are hopeless (in my opinion), but just save the image below, open it with a graphics package and edit it to suit, keeping the overall size, grid style and outermost colours but replace the actual image with a more relevant one. Then go into your hosting control panel, or FTP, and upload the new image at http://www.spiritshigh.org.uk/images/header.jpg overwriting the old one. You won't have to change any code at all on the actual site design.

Here's the image on it's own: -
http://www.spiritshigh.org.uk/images/header.jpg

On the online payments page, the "Buy Now" buttons don't seem to be right - the client is paying rather than buying, I'd choose a different Paypal button, maybe one of these: -

http://www.paypalobjects.com/WEBSCR-495-20071227-2/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but02.gif http://www.paypalobjects.com/WEBSCR-495-20071227-2/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but6.gif

I'd add a border="0" to your IMG tags, that'll stop the horrid blue border appearing around them which doesn't look tight at all.

The "Contact Us" page seems to break out of the design entirely, the background goes to white and the footer is thrown out :confused:

Shaun
03-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Here's a temporary header till you get one sorted out. It's made from one of the images in your gallery. Hope it helps....

Spirits High
03-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Guys,

As usual you've been a superb help.

Marc, yes it is site builder from 123 Reg

Shaun, thanks for that will now spend the rest of the day trying to put it on the site!

I really wish I had the knowledge to do these things!!

Marc J
03-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Nice one Shaun :)

There's still a dodgy looking suit in the grey bit at the bottom (your cheap monitor might not see him :eek:), any chance you can edit to take him out?

I'd do it but I'm guessing you've already compressed it and it would degrade further if I edited yours then saved again.

I'm helping Paul out via PM's regarding how to actually upload to his site.

Shaun
03-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Nice one Shaun :)

There's still a dodgy looking suit in the grey bit at the bottom (your cheap monitor might not see him :eek:), any chance you can edit to take him out?

I missed that, I think you may be right about my monitor. :d. Edited image below

flatliners
03-01-2008, 01:50 PM
the pic looks to city and mekelin if you know what i mean like a law frim

Marc J
03-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Oops....looks like we jumped the gun a little.

I looked at 123-Reg and it seems you can either have their sitebuilder "instant site" thingy or a hosting package, but these are two separate things it seems.

To change the image you'd need FTP access and that's only available with the hosting packages.

On the "Instant Site" package, it doesn't seem possible to change the header image, which is a bit odd. I might be wrong, though. Maybe save Shaun's image and email it to 123-Reg support, asking them if the header image in the template on your site can be changed. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Or you could possibly upgrade to a hosting package to get FTP access - although I'm not sure if you could keep the "instant site" you've already got if you did that - again 123-Reg are the guys to ask.

Spirits High
03-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Oops....looks like we jumped the gun a little.

I looked at 123-Reg and it seems you can either have their sitebuilder "instant site" thingy or a hosting package, but these are two separate things it seems.

To change the image you'd need FTP access and that's only available with the hosting packages.

On the "Instant Site" package, it doesn't seem possible to change the header image, which is a bit odd. I might be wrong, though. Maybe save Shaun's image and email it to 123-Reg support, asking them if the header image in the template on your site can be changed. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Or you could possibly upgrade to a hosting package to get FTP access - although I'm not sure if you could keep the "instant site" you've already got if you did that - again 123-Reg are the guys to ask.

Marc & Shaun, thanks for the help

I've saved the image and will email it off to 123 Reg and see what they say.

At least I managed to get the contact form looking the same colour now!

Shaun
03-01-2008, 09:14 PM
You're welcome, Paul. Good luck.

Spirits High
05-01-2008, 09:40 AM
As an update,

I emailed 123 Reg about putting in my own header and the basic answer was that the header has to stay as it's with the instant site package.

They did however say if I wished to upgrade to the "hosting " package then I could have what ever I wanted!

So , it looks lke im going to be "stockbroker" disco karaoke for the forseeable future.

Penfold42
05-01-2008, 11:18 AM
So , it looks lke im going to be "stockbroker" disco karaoke for the forseeable future.

....yupie or dinky.....which one....:p :D

Marc J
05-01-2008, 04:25 PM
As an update,

I emailed 123 Reg about putting in my own header and the basic answer was that the header has to stay as it's with the instant site package.

They did however say if I wished to upgrade to the "hosting " package then I could have what ever I wanted!

From what I can tell, their starter hosting package is actually cheaper than the instant site package you're currently on.

Problem might be that they won't port your "Instant Site" as it is over to your hosting package if you change, but that isn't a problem, it's easy enough to download as it is and then upload it to your hosting webspace once that's set up, kinda like what I've done here (http://tinyurl.com/37slsc) ;)

Doing this would give you far more felixibilty. OK, so you'd have to learn a little HTML but there are many good free editors available. As you've already seen, the "Instant Site" solution is fairly limiting.

Spirits High
05-01-2008, 04:39 PM
From what I can tell, their starter hosting package is actually cheaper than the instant site package you're currently on.

Problem might be that they won't port your "Instant Site" as it is over to your hosting package if you change, but that isn't a problem, it's easy enough to download as it is and then upload it to your hosting webspace once that's set up, kinda like what I've done here (http://tinyurl.com/37slsc) ;)

Doing this would give you far more felixibilty. OK, so you'd have to learn a little HTML but there are many good free editors available. As you've already seen, the "Instant Site" solution is fairly limiting.

Marc,

As usual thanks, i'll give them an email and see what they say. I take it all I really need to do is save the code from the source bit and then upload it to the new thing?

Oh and buy myself a copy of "Websites for Dummys":D :D

Shaun
05-01-2008, 04:41 PM
As an update,

No offence intended, but why scrimp and save (relatively small amounts) when it comes to the image for your business?. Get some dedicated hosting so you'll be able to make the small changes that'll personalise your site. Best of luck, mate. :)

Marc J
05-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I take it all I really need to do is save the code from the source bit and then upload it to the new thing?
As you don't have FTP access you'd have to view the source of each page and save it, or "rip" the whole site in one go using software designed to do just that (which is what i did to copy it :D). As I've already done it I'll PM you a link to download you whole site as I have it in a ZIP file (the whole thing is only only 315Kb, and 137Kb ZIPped).

Then you get your hosting account set up (doesn't have to be 123-reg ;)) and upload it to your webspace. Some pages (for example the contact page) might need some tweaking but nothing major.

You'll then be able to tweak it as much as you like.

Oh and buy myself a copy of "Websites for Dummys":D :DThat depends how much editing you intend to do. You've got your initial layout, text edits now and then are easy enough :).

Or you could host it elsewhere (http://www.djbids.co.uk/auctiondetails.php?itemname=Website-Hosting&id=327), I've heard if you get that guy in a good mood he'll throw in a slick looking Gallery, Contact Form and FAQ Page ;)

Shaun
05-01-2008, 05:14 PM
elsewhere (http://www.djbids.co.uk/auctiondetails.php?itemname=Website-Hosting&id=327), I've heard if you get that guy in a good mood he'll throw in a slick looking Gallery, Contact Form and FAQ Page ;)

Now there's a great offer. :)

Is that the same FAQ that's installed on my site?, if so it's a great tool.

Marc J
05-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Is that the same FAQ that's installed on my site?, if so it's a great tool.

Yes it is :)