PDA

View Full Version : New djing agency - help?

yourdj
04-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi i'm setting up a new djing agency in hampshire.

I have experience myself in all forms of djing and i want to expand the business. I want to supply dj's to bars/clubs, mobile djing for private functions etc., specific events promoted by myself, and anything else?

I would love to have any information on the following:

- how do you find decent local dj's, how do i know if they are good?

- what shall i charge for the gigs (ie. mobile/static, diff. sized setups etc)?

- how much do i take from the client for myself and how much should the dj expect?

- should it be a fixed cost or percentage of total dependent on whether the dj is supplying thier own gear etc?

- is there a way of stopping dj's from approaching the client and djing for them instead of you at a lesser price?

- what administration is required in terms of contracts etc?

- how do i make sure the dj is playing what i want them too?

Anything else important you can think off would be of great help,

Thanks very much.

Great forum by the way :D

kilmeedyman
05-01-2008, 03:13 AM
Blimey! - can't wait to see Daz's answer to this one. Or Steve's for that matter.

GrahamH
05-01-2008, 07:39 AM
was thinking the same thing myself

Corabar Steve
05-01-2008, 09:51 AM
The best person to speak to would be Mikeee

Oh & why not show us the courtesy of introducing yourself in the Newbies forum. Welcome aboard.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-01-2008, 11:59 AM
All I'm thinking, is that all the questions above hould have been answered before you even think about creating an agency.

Then you need to look into the legal side of things.....

Vectis
05-01-2008, 12:03 PM
^^ Funny ^^

I was just thinking exactly the same thing! :p

Especially the legal side of agencies which I suspect is make-or-break for most startups depending on their business plan. I would expect that unless you're coming to this with a fantastic range of existing contacts or a large dollop of temporarily disposable capital (neither of which seems likely given the questions already posted) that the legalities may critically alter your approach.

Find an association or trade body and go talk to them would be my initial advice.

yourdj
05-01-2008, 12:11 PM
I have thought of them and come up with answers. i know what i am doing as i have been a dj & promoter for 7 years and a mobile dj for 2. i own another business so that side of it is fine.

I'm on this forum so that i can get the feedback from someone with a few years more experience (i.e. people like you) :)

Sorry if my questions are stupid, (i thought they were all valid points) :) . I'm not used to forums and what to do so forgive me. And yes i will go to the nubies section. Did not see it last night. :D

mikeee
05-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Now, why would you want to speak to me - LOL.

First read The Employment Agencies Act 1973, then read, The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003.
You should also be aware of the Employment Act 2000, Sex Discrimination Act, Disability Act, The Licencing Act 2003 and about a dozen others.
All of these can be found be, by doing a search on Direct.Gov.UK.

Then, as your eyeballs are about to drop out, we move on to insurances, Public Liability and Employers Liability.

Then there's the different bank accounts - Business, Client, Deposit etc.

Personally, I'd pop in and see your local Business Link advisor and have a chat, for a start, and then take it from there.

yourdj
05-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I have a business bank account, insurance, public liability, PAT, loads of gear, capital, website/email, marketing ready to go, contacts blah blah. J

ust need another view point on the day to day running etc.

basically the questions up top.

Will troll through the legal acts though as they look useful.

Thanks

yourdj
05-01-2008, 12:35 PM
^^ Funny ^^Find an association or trade body and go talk to them would be my initial advice.

Nice answer. Are there any online bodies specializing in public entertainment?

I'm currently using people i know and getting contacts from people they know. Am also advertising in local press for dj's too. Starting to look online which is why im on this forum:)

CRAZY K
05-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Nice answer. Are there any online bodies specializing in public entertainment?

I'm currently using people i know and getting contacts from people they know. Am also advertising in local press for dj's too. Starting to look online which is why im on this forum:)

If you bother to look on the net you will find people like the National Entertainment Agents Council type organisations.

Here http://www.neac.org.uk/

Thats where you should be going to start with----

CRAZY K

mikeee
05-01-2008, 01:29 PM
And you also have the Agents Association

http://www.agents-uk.com

yourdj
05-01-2008, 03:09 PM
I am bothering, hence the reason Im talking to you. I haven't had the need for them before as all my advertising & leads are local. Thanks for the links though they look helpful.

Corabar Steve
06-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Now, why would you want to speak to me - LOL.

Because you're the agent king
http://planetsmilies.net/angry-smiley-225.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

yourdj
06-01-2008, 12:21 PM
These are the answers i wanted on this thread (apart from mikees link)! pretty much the same question too:

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8292&page=2

flatliners
19-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Hi i'm setting up a new djing agency in hampshire.

I have experience myself in all forms of djing and i want to expand the business. I want to supply dj's to bars/clubs, mobile djing for private functions etc., specific events promoted by myself, and anything else?

I would love to have any information on the following:

- how do you find decent local dj's, how do i know if they are good?

- what shall i charge for the gigs (ie. mobile/static, diff. sized setups etc)?

- how much do i take from the client for myself and how much should the dj expect?

- should it be a fixed cost or percentage of total dependent on whether the dj is supplying thier own gear etc?

- is there a way of stopping dj's from approaching the client and djing for them instead of you at a lesser price?

- what administration is required in terms of contracts etc?

- how do i make sure the dj is playing what i want them too?

Anything else important you can think off would be of great help,

Thanks very much.

Great forum by the way :D

how do i make sure the dj is playing what i want them too? surely its the punter who decides whats to be played
and as for finding good dj you could always come and clone me

JAMdisco
05-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Generally as an agent (And I've worked for a few) they generally get the venue and place the relevant entertainment. The way it used to work for me was I would get some cash/cheque-pick-up where I got the full ammount and then the agency would bill me (usually 15% or thereabouts) and others would be Non-Pick-Up where the agency would get the full ammount and this would either be sent to me (by cheque) or used as commission.

I used to use all my own gear and the contracts always had a disclaimer on the bottom along the lines of: Artist is responsible for own Tax, NI and equipment safety. I think (from memory) it said something about PAT but I was never asked for it except for one wedding at a Hotel (most work was WMC or Pubs)

I can get the exact wording if you like off one of my old contracts.

Ace DJ
05-03-2008, 10:16 AM
It completely amazes me the way some DJ's do not think before even asking the basis questions. These they should alreally know the answers to before even thinking of becoming an agent. It is all about doing your homework first. If they cannot master the basics there is no way they will handle the legal side of it. Being an agent your have legal responsibilities and there are regulations in force that you have to abide by.
Before you do anything read and understand the Entertainment agency regulations first. Then think about whether you want to be an Employment Agency or an Employment business. Do it wrong and get found out and there is a £10000.00