PDA

View Full Version : 13yr old party

Steve Hart
06-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi folks,
I do regular kids parties for 5-6 yr olds but have taken a booking for a 13yr old. I suppose they will want chart music and cha cha slide, mararena etc. Has anyone got any other ideas??

djsteve10
06-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Just do the chart music,
the cheesy party sort of stuff

Some 13th's that i have done i have played Queen - Don't Stop Me Now and The Proclaimers - 500 Miles

Went down a storm.
The only major advise is make sure you are upto date heavily with your chart music.

colint
06-01-2008, 10:41 PM
I did a 13th birthday last night? the stuff most requested was R n B and garage (not really my thing) but hey it wasn't that bad! but they were really up on their music though.

Kernow
06-01-2008, 10:45 PM
I have a regular booking for 12-16 year olds and chart & pop seem to go down extremely well. Now albums & Pop Party seem to hit the mark. Also a bit of G 'n R, Bon Jovi etc. are very popular.
Avoid at all costs the requests for Hip Hop, Drum & Bass and that ilk, they only do it to look 'cool' and seldom dance to it.

At the most recent I played 'Don't Stop Me Know' by Queen and immeadiately afterwards proclaimed them as "The Best McFly tribute I've ever heard" :p

KrazyKaz
07-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Chart, party dance (macarena, cha cha slide etc) and a bit of rock (Bon Jovi - livin' on a prayer, Bryan Adams - summer of '69, Guns n Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine) Oh and a bit of Queen too.
Never fails at the 13ths I've done.

UltraBeat Entertainment
07-01-2008, 11:29 AM
I done a 13th B'day yesterday (sun) that went really well. my recomendations are:

Action songs - Cha Cha Slide, oops upside your head, 5,6,7,8, Reach e.c.t
90's Pop - spice girls, britney spears, robbie williams
Current Pop - sugababes, Girls aloud, Valerie, take that (now 68 does the trick)
Dance/Club - Cascada, Freeks, Destination Calabria, Booty Luv (loads of)
Classic R'n'B:eek: - Sean paul, Usher, Jamelia, Nelly
Current R'n'B - Timbaland, Enrique Iglesias

Grease Mega Mix.

And drop any games! I've found there to old for games and just like to dance all night.

Bubble and smoke machines work well.

JAMdisco
08-01-2008, 09:46 AM
You might want to get some High School Musical songs if you haven't already. I got asked for it loads at a recent sea cadets disco aged 10-18. Unfortunately I didn't have any but they enjoyed it anyway!

Played a lot of stuff like Logical Song, Heaven by DJ Sammy and of course the old Black Lace type stuff (Superman, Music Man, Conga, Hokey Cokey etc...)

And don't forget Amarillo!

Steve Hart
09-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions lads its really helpful.. Thanks Hart Promotions...

sleah
10-01-2008, 10:59 AM
:agree: with all of the above. Done a few myself for that age group, the boys will be asking for any song they can think of with :Censored: in it, which is most chart music these days:mad:

When I saw "13yr old party" I thought, "my, that's a long gig!!!"

KrazyKaz
10-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions lads its really helpful.. Thanks Hart Promotions...

:lol: but we aren't all lads, or I wasn't last time I looked. :lol:

Steve Hart
11-01-2008, 07:11 AM
sorry Kaz my mistake

jeremy knight
02-03-2009, 03:46 PM
I did one this Saturday gone for a 13 year old girl`s birthday party and all went well, played good music. What I did, I let her and her friends come on to the stage and find some songs want me to play, and I have not had any problems at all.

nick-tntdisco
02-03-2009, 06:26 PM
... and of course the old Black Lace type stuff...

I used to live next door to one of the Black Lace's, got their singles signed :-)

ppentertainments
02-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I used to live next door to one of the Black Lace's, got their singles signed :-)

And you openly admit to that :confused:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

spin mobile disco
03-03-2009, 04:13 PM
I find most of the recent now disks are must haves for 13 year old parties. That and the top 10 R'n'B chart normally cover it well.

Mark Wild
03-03-2009, 04:18 PM
13th screams Basshunters, Darren Styles, Wigan Pier, N-Dubz, Scooter and all that rubbish to me :D

yourdj
04-03-2009, 10:03 AM
I would have said just chart myself? heads shoulder kees and toes, ndubz etc.

jamie.t294
04-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Hi,

I did a 13 year old party about 3 weeks ago and the big songs were alesha dixon: the boy does nothing, James M feat Nelly Furtado: broken strings. Lady Gaga: just dance, Kid Cudi: Day n Nite, Britney Spears: Womanizer, circus. if they look quite mature it might be worth it to throw in some pendulum, but can be a bit risky. the party i did happened to absolutely love it but i have known some people to say 'Who's this?'

Basically all the popular songs around at the moment with a bit of DJ Cheese thrown in as well! Follow da leader 2003 and the macarena went down very well.

If you look at the current top 40 that will be a great place to start.

Hope this helps

Jamie

DazzyD
04-03-2009, 07:49 PM
13th screams Basshunters, Darren Styles, Wigan Pier, N-Dubz, Scooter and all that rubbish to me :D

Basshunter and Scooter, maybe, but I do lots of 13th parties (done about 5 since last November!) and they usually ask for macarena, Saturday Night, Valerie, Dance Wiv Me, Reach, etc. I even got asked for The Conga and the Hokey Cokey at the one I did last saturday (7-10pm gig - dead easy and a great crowd!) so don't just think it's all thumping chart stuff!

soundtracker
04-03-2009, 10:50 PM
I've got one Saturday night. Here's the playlist:

Don’t stop moving= S Club7

Rockstar= Nickleback

Infinity 2008= Guru Josh Project

Hollaback=Gwen Stefani

Let it rock= Kevin Rudolf

Just dance= Lady Ga Ga

Beggin= Madcon

Thriller= Michael Jackson

Maneater= Nelly Furtado

Womanizer=Britney spears

Circus=Britney spears

Don’t stop me now= Queen

Get the party started=Pink

Sober=Pink

So what=Pink

Dancing queen=Abba

Mamma Mia=Abba

Cha cha slide

Hey baby=Dj Otzi

Reach=S Club 7

Breathe slow=Alesha Dixon

The boy does nothing=Alesha Dixon

Dance wiv me=Dizzee Rascal

Monster=The Automatics

Low=Flo Rider

Single ladies=Beyonce

I hate this part=Pussycat dolls

When I grow up=Pussycat dolls

Umbrella=Rhianna

Disturbia=Rhianna

Heartless=Kayne West

Keeps gettin’better=Christina Aguilera

Right now na na na=Akon

Dangerous=Akon

Hot n cold=Katy Perry

The loving kind=Girls Aloud + other Girls Aloud songs

4 minutes=Madonna and Justin Timberland

Girlfriend=Avril Lavigne

Stepping Stone=Duffy + other Duffy songs

Up=The Saturdays

All Summer Long=Kid Rock

Spotlight=Jennifer Hudson

Tattoo=Jordan Sparks

Raindrops=Sash Feat Stunt

In this city=Igloo and Harley

Lies=McFly

Boyfriend=Alphabet

Goodbye Mr A=The Housiers

I kissed a girl=Katy Perry

Please don’t stop the music=Rhianna

Y.M.C.A=The Village People

Crazy Chick=Charlotte Church

Pazz
03-05-2009, 01:59 PM
I do quite a lot of 13th and children's birthday parties and I tend to notice that they do want a real lot of up-to-date music. I agree with the earlier posts about the chart music and some popular party dances but my biggest problem is no matter how many of the latest chart, dance and r n b songs you have in your playlist there will always be songs you don't have.

Do any of you get lots of requests for songs you have never heard of in these discos? I try my best to keep in the know about what this aged group are into but some of the songs they request just completely throw me! They show me and let me listen to songs on their mobile phones and then tell me names of songs that they are into. I agree most of the songs will be 'way out' and just liked by that one person.

For example I did a 13th birthday last night that lasted 3 hours. I asked before the disco if they could email me a playlist but this didn't arrive and instead they handed me a list of about 100 tracks on the night. So I checked through and found I did have quite a few but then there were a lot which I just had never heard of. Here is an example of the songs on the list:

gives you hell - the all american rejects
blood sugar - pendulum
time to pretend, weekend wars and electric feel - mgmt
grace - will young
you and me - one night only
- most of the latest akon album!
cant stand me now
narcissist???
campaign of hate
the man who would be king
this is an emergency - the pidgeon detectives
always need to be - the kooks
vampire weekend - a punk
where do i hide - nickelback
moving on - taio cruz

and loads more!

All of the above I did not have and was wondering if any of you did have these or if not what would you be thinking of doing for future discos of this age group with having these type of requests?

I did have a lot that they wanted like katy perry, britney, flo rida, chris brown and i had plenty of their requests too but they seem to look at you weirdly if you haven't got some of the ones listed above.

Can anyone suggest where I can look to find out more about what these teenagers are into - where do they find out about all these songs, atrists and groups - do any of you have teenage kids and where do they get their music from? Just wondered if there were any suggestions out there as I do like to get as many of the songs they are into as possible.

Thanks

karl james
07-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Hi all, doing a 13th birthday this Saturday. Got the playlist through and thanks to napster I managed to get some of the ones not in my collection.

Here is a sample.
Dance with me - Dizzie
Right now na na na - Akon
Don't upset the rhythm - noisettes.
Hannah Montana
In for the kill - La Roux
Various - Kaci
Take me Back - Tichy Stryder
Sugar - Flo Rida
Tiny Dancer - Ironik
Various - Pussycat dolls
Various - Lilly Allen
Various - Rihanna
5 years time - Noah and the whale
Gotta throw in some games and the like so I will get the limbo pole out, have a few boy vs girls dance off's, maybe get them doing the black lace tracks like superman, conga etc. Dunno what else just play it by ear.

I usually do 11 and under so I hope they dont mind dancing most of the night. Any games ideas would be help. Can I get away with corners? I usually put up pictures of Hannah Mont and HSM instead of colours.

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-05-2009, 08:32 PM
I think the party dances will be way too young and uncool for them.

karl james
07-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh OK,
Party Girls Mum asked for Arches and I dont know what that game is.

Maybe some help needed here.

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Oh OK,
Party Girls Mum asked for Arches and I dont know what that game is.

Maybe some help needed here.

Arches is a kissing game but I can't remember exactly how it is played.

jamie.t294
07-05-2009, 10:12 PM

Ive got to agree on this one. I think it will be too young. I probably do more 13/14 year old parties than anything else and I think all they will want is music. I have never incorporated games into it but i suppose the limbo would be good.

As for music you will have to have the most recent top music (top40 / rnb etc) I will quickly write down a list of songs that you will most proabbly need:

Tinchy Stryder feat N Dubz - Number 1
Lady Gaga - Poker Face, Just Dance
Ciara feat Justin Timberlake - Love Sex Magic
Im not alone - Calvin Harris
Eminem - We made you, Crack a bottle
Akon feat Kardinal Official - dangerous
Alesha Dixon - The man does nothing / breathe slow
Shontelle - t-shirt
N-Dubz - strong again
September - can't get over
Flo Rida - Right Round
Justin Timberlake feat. T.I. - Dead and Gone
Akon - beautiful
Taylor Swift - Love story
Pussycat Dolls - Jai Ho
katy Perry - i kissed a girl / hot'n'cold
la roux - in for the kill
Tinchy Stryder - Take me back
Kid Cudi vs Crookers - Day 'n' Nite
Basshunter - Angel in the night

Also if you can take soem of the following, but it migiht be a bit old for them.... some parties will know it and love it, others will not know what it is:

Pendulum - Blood Sugar
Pendulum - Tarantula
Pendulum - propane nightmares
Prodigy - Omen

Hope this helps with your party. Of course some DJ CHEESE wont be a miss like follow da leader etc.

Hope it go's well for you ;)

Jamie

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-05-2009, 10:18 PM

Having said that, certain things like the cha cha slide, Saturday night and the macarena generally go well depending on the maturity of the kids.

jamie.t294
07-05-2009, 10:25 PM
I do quite a lot of 13th and children's birthday parties and I tend to notice that they do want a real lot of up-to-date music. I agree with the earlier posts about the chart music and some popular party dances but my biggest problem is no matter how many of the latest chart, dance and r n b songs you have in your playlist there will always be songs you don't have.

Do any of you get lots of requests for songs you have never heard of in these discos? I try my best to keep in the know about what this aged group are into but some of the songs they request just completely throw me! They show me and let me listen to songs on their mobile phones and then tell me names of songs that they are into. I agree most of the songs will be 'way out' and just liked by that one person.

For example I did a 13th birthday last night that lasted 3 hours. I asked before the disco if they could email me a playlist but this didn't arrive and instead they handed me a list of about 100 tracks on the night. So I checked through and found I did have quite a few but then there were a lot which I just had never heard of. Here is an example of the songs on the list:

gives you hell - the all american rejects
blood sugar - pendulum
time to pretend, weekend wars and electric feel - mgmt
grace - will young
you and me - one night only
- most of the latest akon album!
cant stand me now
narcissist???
campaign of hate
the man who would be king
this is an emergency - the pidgeon detectives
always need to be - the kooks
vampire weekend - a punk
where do i hide - nickelback
moving on - taio cruz

and loads more!

All of the above I did not have and was wondering if any of you did have these or if not what would you be thinking of doing for future discos of this age group with having these type of requests?

I did have a lot that they wanted like katy perry, britney, flo rida, chris brown and i had plenty of their requests too but they seem to look at you weirdly if you haven't got some of the ones listed above.

Can anyone suggest where I can look to find out more about what these teenagers are into - where do they find out about all these songs, atrists and groups - do any of you have teenage kids and where do they get their music from? Just wondered if there were any suggestions out there as I do like to get as many of the songs they are into as possible.

Thanks

Well I am a teenage kid :D

Anyway out of the above you didnt have i think you should probably get:

Pendulum albums (especially for 14+)
the most popular MGMT songs
Akons entire discopraphy!!!!!!
Taio Cruz songs (although this one wouldnt have stood out to me as a great song)

Some teenagers think they are really cool by asking for one of the less popular songs of a particular artist as they think that it shows more of a better knowledge of music rather than looking at the top 10 lists every week liek the rest of their friends. They sometimes like to think they are into the 'deeper cuts'.

At 13, most teenagers however will be looking at the hit40 lists to choose their music. Quite often if you have seen that an artist has brought out two songs that make it into the top 20, the best idea is to go and get their entire album as some will always want the less popular songs by the popular artist.

Also if you try and listen to hit40 radio stations like kiss fm or capital fm (if you live in london). These stations will always be playing the newest and most popular tracks. Although I have never heard them play Pendulum as it is too DNB for commercial radio. That is the kind of band that gets spread through older siblings that are clubbing and the younger brothers and sisters get into them as a result of that.

I hope this helps

Jamie

karl james
08-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Many thanks for the help guys.
The party is for two hours and the party girl has given me a long list of tracks to play. I figure if I pad the rest out with a bit of cheese and scratch any requests as theres no room for extra tracks, then that will be a good gig. After all its the Kids party so I shall give her what she wants.
To be fair I am not used to being behind the rig for more than a min due to being full on the dance floor doing games and dances with the younger kids.
If I had a weekly gig at a youth club then I would do requests as its their night.

Once again thanks for the hints and tips. At least I wont look a plonker getting them to do the music man.

karl james
08-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Taio Cruz songs (although this one wouldnt have stood out to me as a great song)

Thanks for the info Jamie,
do the kids actually dance to MGMT and Pendulum or do they sit around nodding their heads to the music.
I think I am turning into my Dad, its just not having fun music to me. More like sitting in your bedroom doing facebook and Bebo with ur MP3 plugged in.
If I am wrong then Hands up and I shall give them what they want.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-05-2009, 08:34 PM
I think I am turning into my Dad

It happens to the best of us! :o

karl james
08-05-2009, 09:26 PM
and there's me thinking that I am really down with the kids and all that young at heart.
Turns out I woke up one morning to find out I really am getting on. Should have seen the signs when I stopped laughing at South Park.

jamie.t294
09-05-2009, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the info Jamie,
do the kids actually dance to MGMT and Pendulum or do they sit around nodding their heads to the music.
I think I am turning into my Dad, its just not having fun music to me. More like sitting in your bedroom doing facebook and Bebo with ur MP3 plugged in.
If I am wrong then Hands up and I shall give them what they want.

They usually dance to pendulum but not so much to mgmt. I personally like pendulum and think their music is some of the best drum and bass music in a long time. I dont get MGMT so much but thats just my opinion. If you get the top two MGMT songs on itunes then that should keep most people happy.

With Pendulum, the most requested songs are (in order of popularity)

Blood Sugar
Propane Nightmares
Tarantula
Slam

karl james
09-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Brill and many thanks for that.
Teenage parties arnt my thing but I am not in a position to pick and choose my gigs.

djmarc
10-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Have to say why not try head shoulders knees and toes tune that out at the moment
and another good track is soilder boy they all like that and they think there kool when the boys all get on the floor to do the dance also dont be surprised if you get pested to play it more than once lol

hope ya gig goes well just relax and be yaself they wont bite you :beer1:

karl james
16-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Wow, what a fantastic time I had at the party. Never done a teenage gig as you know but thanks to you Guys it went down a storm.
Loads of requests managed to meet most of them. Only had to do two games, limbo pole (played Arrow- feeling hot hot hot) kids loved it. Then did a game called arches. Girls in two lines linking hands in an arch shape. When music stops the arch comes down and traps the boys running through. Then they have to kiss the boys trapped in the arch. Rigged the game on the party girl’s request, so she got to kiss the best looking boys. . Had to be honest with the client and told her I normally do the younger age but had being given good advice from the forum..
Word got around that it was my 1st gig of the type. At the end a few parents came up to me and congratulated me on such a success and praised me for doing the research before hand.
Handed out loads of cards on request with a few promises for gigs later on in the year. Most requested band was Soulja Boy. Did the pendulum track and the boys went mental, doing break dancing.
A great gig and many thanks to all of you for the hints and tips.

andyw
16-05-2009, 07:22 PM
glad it all went well,thanks for the feedback