PDA

View Full Version : My web site

videoguy
17-01-2008, 02:38 PM
I quite liked some of the stuff that you can do on the moonfruit site (as recomended on here) so I thought i'd give it a go.

Here is what i've got done so far:

http://www.chris-norfolk.co.uk

Would like to here comments etc........

Cheers Chris

rob1963
17-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Nothing obvious negative jumps out at me...a nice looking site.

:)

videoguy
17-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks Rob!

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Why are you using someone elses picture for your laser show? That belongs to Thames Valley Discos - unless Paul has given you permission of course?

Corabar Steve
17-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Bland, why do so many DJs like white on a dark background?

Have you got permission to use the copyrighted images on the Music page? Or the music that's on the same page for that matter?

videoguy
17-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Laser pic removed.... sorry Paul and Thames valley Disco's - I just did a light show picture search in google gallery to try out in photo gallery, very very sorry, great pic tho Paul. :) There will be pics of my gear after weekend.

No i have not got permision to use the copyrighted images on the music page but as i am not using the images or music to profit by, simply making a reference to certan albums and music that i like, can't see that would matter, but i'll look into it and see where the land lies.

I liked the look of that template cus is was simple, to the point, clear and easy to navigate, did'nt want it to look over complicated and busy and overloaded with information like a lot of other DJ web sites... sorry to say it, but a bit like yours Steve. :eek:

Cheers Chris

Corabar Steve
17-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Whatevr works for you Chris, ours does us quite nicely. Never had any complaints about it, quite the opposite in fact.

Shaun
17-01-2008, 05:53 PM
I just did a light show picture search in google gallery to try out in photo gallery,

As a general rule, any image displayed on google should follow the same copyright rules as all other images, and shouldn't be used without the permission of the copyright holder. The same will apply to any audio tracks you use on your site.

http://images.google.com/help/faq_images.html#copyright

kilmeedyman
17-01-2008, 07:31 PM
I liked the look of that template cus is was simple, to the point, clear and easy to navigate, did'nt want it to look over complicated and busy

Well I think its just fine.

It's in a clean, modern style. It doesn't give the idea of just being put together with no thought and, whilst it is a template, it has at least given you something that would not put people off who might book you.

Also, the look/feel of the template you have chosen probably says a little about you and the way you see your 'DJ self' so that's just fine.

A good start, content will build over time, pictures etc.

You will never get universal approval as two people's views can be so different (yours and Steve's , for example) so don't expect it. I am finishing my own new web site off at ths very moment as part of my re-branding and I know there are some on here who won't like the name, or won't like the pictures on my site, or the menus, or something. The most important thing to gain from the forum is that there are no glaring errors, you haven't missed anything blindingly obvious and you get tips on things like 'borrowing' or more specifically 'not borrowing' other web sites' images, text etc.

You should be pleased.

videoguy
18-01-2008, 06:49 AM
Well I think its just fine.

It's in a clean, modern style. It doesn't give the idea of just being put together with no thought and, whilst it is a template, it has at least given you something that would not put people off who might book you.

Also, the look/feel of the template you have chosen probably says a little about you and the way you see your 'DJ self' so that's just fine.

A good start, content will build over time, pictures etc.

You will never get universal approval as two people's views can be so different (yours and Steve's , for example) so don't expect it. I am finishing my own new web site off at ths very moment as part of my re-branding and I know there are some on here who won't like the name, or won't like the pictures on my site, or the menus, or something. The most important thing to gain from the forum is that there are no glaring errors, you haven't missed anything blindingly obvious and you get tips on things like 'borrowing' or more specifically 'not borrowing' other web sites' images, text etc.

You should be pleased.

Thanks for that. Made all my hard work worthwhile, can't wait for the weekend, a photographer friend of mine is coming along to take some pictures and stuff, so looking forward to adding them and building my photo gallery page up.

Cheers Chris.

Marc J
18-01-2008, 07:52 AM
It's entirely done in Flash, which isn't a good idea. Some workplaces don't allow the viewing of Flash content because

a) considered by some a security risk.
b) flash content is mostly games - and the workforce is supposed to be working.

videoguy
18-01-2008, 08:55 AM
It's entirely done in Flash, which isn't a good idea. Some workplaces don't allow the viewing of Flash content because

a) considered by some a security risk.
b) flash content is mostly games - and the workforce is supposed to be working.

I aggree, but I suppose most punters would be browsing the internet from home when looking to book a DJ. But more importantly I wanted the site so I could direct people to it. If people come across it when doing a google search and I get work from it, then hey thats great.

Chris.

P.S. Most internet banking sites, gas/electrictity, goverment, online shopping, music download, media sites have flash content these days so they can't all be wrong.

P.P.S. Think you'll find most online games are JAVA Script.

Vectis
18-01-2008, 09:03 AM
I aggree, but I suppose most punters would be browsing the internet from home when looking to book a DJ

Well you suppose wrong, and I have LOTS of webstats to prove it.

If people come across it when doing a google search and I get work from it, then hey thats great.

Would've thought this would feature higher on your wants from a website? :confused:

P.S. Most internet banking sites, gas/electrictity, goverment, online shopping, music download, media sites have flash content these days so they can't all be wrong.

True-ish. The majority of such sites I've seen have some flash content for advertising etc. but these degrade well for folks who don't have flash support and get replaced with traditional HTML or whatever.

As a non-gamer I can't really comment, but as Marc is a web designer (and a very competent one) I'd be offended by the tone of this statement if I were he :(

Marc J
18-01-2008, 09:09 AM
I aggree, but I suppose most punters would be browsing the internet from home when looking to book a DJ.

You think? I'd say a large proportion (if not most) of browsing is done in work time.

But more importantly I wanted the site so I could direct people to it. If people come across it when doing a google search and I get work from it, then hey thats great.

I didn't say anything about search engines but, since you brought it up, Google DOES crawl flash content now - but it's still not a good idea to have 100% flash for SEO purposes. But you don't want to be found so it doesn't really matter anyway.

LOL, OK. Let's just say my wife works for the largest employer in Europe, a government department, as a manager in the IT department, and can't view Flash content. And, as Vectis says, a good web designer will keep flash content to non-critical components which are replaced by non-flash versions if flash isn't detected.

No, I think you'll find most online (browser based) games actually use Shockwave (which is Flash related) or Flash.

Shaun
18-01-2008, 11:36 AM
In my opinion, It's apparent from this and other topics that videoguy is only interested in posts that reinforce his own thinking and views. Any posts that point out helpful, constructive or legal viewpoints to keep him on track seem to be quickly discarded and rebutted.

Paul James Promotions
18-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Bland, why do so many DJs like white on a dark background?

:( :(

Penfold42
18-01-2008, 12:11 PM
In my opinion, It's apparent from this and other topics that videoguy is only interested in posts that reinforce his own thinking and views. Any posts that point out helpful, constructive or legal viewpoints to keep him on track seem to be quickly discarded and rebutted.
:agree:

:( :(

I like it......but then what do i know........:D

rob1963
18-01-2008, 12:41 PM
why do so many DJs like white on a dark background?

Maybe because it gives that night time feel?

Corabar Steve
18-01-2008, 02:28 PM
What's that got to do with anything?

Dragonfly
18-01-2008, 02:31 PM
why do so many DJs like white on a dark background?

Ive often wondered that??? and all lasery/neony and futuristic??? well many of them.

ever since ive been on the web ive liked music in motions website personally.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-01-2008, 02:33 PM
What's that got to do with anything?

Possibly cos we work in the night :rolleyes:

Corabar Steve
18-01-2008, 02:36 PM
And?

Unless there's some sort of psychology involved.

One Vision
18-01-2008, 03:18 PM
The site does look very tidy, presentable and easy to navigate which are some of the top priorities for a website, but as for a full flash site its not really recommended as already stated.
Flash is a nice touch in certain areas for that pro look if done well but for functionality and reliability which includes top positions listings.

The way I always look at it when designing a site, good quality, well thought out content will always sell better than a flash animation will as it will keep their interest were flash is over in seconds so they move on to the next site.

The idea behind the site is very nice, good info and a few decent images to help illustrate but if at all possible get another template that is less flashy and more basic html/CSS based.
Hope I haven't offended. :)

CRAZY K
18-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Ive often wondered that??? and all lasery/neony and futuristic??? well many of them.

ever since ive been on the web ive liked music in motions website personally.

Your addicted to mirror balls Dave :D :D :D:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K