PDA

View Full Version : Frontpage dramas

Spirits High
20-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Guys,

Being what i'd call a non web guru type person I got Marc J to "tweak" my site for me (and a great job too!;) )

Thing is now that I have "control" i'm trying to update a couple of bits myself using frontpage. Ie build a seperate "links" page and change the wording in a couple of places.

The problem is that when i upload it (not using frontpage) via smart ftp it all changes colour and goes horribly wrong!

I'm building the pages in "normal" view,previewing and it all looks good, saving them then uploading but dont know where its going wrong.

Any help would be great.

(Note for Marc, I know you'll probably read this but didnt want to hassle you with more bone questions!)

CRAZY K
20-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Guys,

Being what i'd call a non web guru type person I got Marc J to "tweak" my site for me (and a great job too!;) )

Thing is now that I have "control" i'm trying to update a couple of bits myself using frontpage. Ie build a seperate "links" page and change the wording in a couple of places.

The problem is that when i upload it (not using frontpage) via smart ftp it all changes colour and goes horribly wrong!

I'm building the pages in "normal" view,previewing and it all looks good, saving them then uploading but dont know where its going wrong.

Any help would be great.

(Note for Marc, I know you'll probably read this but didnt want to hassle you with more bone questions!)

My site was built with Frontpage and I have built 4 others in it myself.

Never have a problem with anything, its so easy.

No doubt Marc will put you straight.

CRAZY K

Jiggles
20-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Ah the joys of Front page :D

Marc J
20-01-2008, 12:33 PM

I used FrontPage for about a month around 1996, and hated it. It does things that you just don't want to do, adding extra code here and there...as far as I can remember.

Because it's things like colours etc. which are being lost when you upload new (or edited) pages to the server, the cause might be that FrontPage is creating and linking to an external style sheet (.css file) for the styles it's using. Or it may be adding lines to the existing one (in public_html/css/syles.css). Make sure you also upload any new or changed css files as well as the page you're working on.

A web page can be made up of any number of elements: -

HTML Code
Javascript
CSS File(s)
Flash elements
etc. etc.

any or all of which can be externally linked from the page you're actually editing (rather than being included in the page code itself). As I said before, FP might be editing or creating externally linked pages that you aren't aware of, and which must also be uploaded.

I'm sure I've said this to you before, but - backup, backup, backup!

Note for Marc, I know you'll probably read this but didnt want to hassle you with more bone questions!) :D :beer1:

CRAZY K
20-01-2008, 01:23 PM
I used FrontPage for about a month around 1996, and hated it. It does things that you just don't want to do, adding extra code here and there...as far as I can remember.

Because it's things like colours etc. which are being lost when you upload new (or edited) pages to the server, the cause might be that FrontPage is creating and linking to an external style sheet (.css file) for the styles it's using. Or it may be adding lines to the existing one (in public_html/css/syles.css). Make sure you also upload any new or changed css files as well as the page you're working on.

A web page can be made up of any number of elements: -

HTML Code
Javascript
CSS File(s)
Flash elements
etc. etc.

any or all of which can be externally linked from the page you're actually editing (rather than being included in the page code itself). As I said before, FP might be editing or creating externally linked pages that you aren't aware of, and which must also be uploaded.

I'm sure I've said this to you before, but - backup, backup, backup!

:D :beer1:

Strange I havent encountered any of those problems with Frontpage--however my sites are very basic ;)

My only problem was I had to enlist the help of My Internet Store to set up a responder--thats only because I had a cheap package with Claranet which diidnt support that facility.

CRAZY K

Marc J
20-01-2008, 02:49 PM
It was a while ago, however I wouldn't be surprised if Frontpage still added a lot of unnecessary code or did things a little "strange".

Unfortunately (from a beginner editing POV) I added some database driven and dynamic content to Paul's site as a welcome gift when he switched to my server, so there are some PHP pages in there (Gallery, FAQ) that FrontPage will probably spit out as garbage, and won't preview correctly at all (unless you install a local Apache server (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html) which is probably overkill!). The only other way to test these when editing is to upload and try them.

Spirits High
20-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks Marc,

I'll have another play with it this week but I feel I might have to employ you as my web updater!!

Marc J
20-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks Marc,

I'll have another play with it this week but I feel I might have to employ you as my web updater!!

No problem ;)