PDA

View Full Version : Can you leave your gear in the van?

scoopd
26-01-2008, 10:31 AM
My Insurance company(DJ Guard) say that I can't leave my gear in the van(in the garage) for more than a night or two before a gig.Does anybody know of a company who DO allow this?

Many Thanks

Vectis
26-01-2008, 10:38 AM
If it's securely garaged, talk to your home insurer and get your gear put on your contents policy as 'named items'. That's how I got cover. Cost me about an extra £30 a year. They insisted on a certain standard of lock and gave me a reduction because it was alarmed and CCTV'd.

DJ Guard is for when you're out and about.

djsteve10
26-01-2008, 10:49 AM
If it's securely garaged, talk to your home insurer and get your gear put on your contents policy as 'named items'. That's how I got cover. Cost me about an extra £30 a year. They insisted on a certain standard of lock and gave me a reduction because it was alarmed and CCTV'd.

Agreed on that one, i always take the gear out anyway as i have to change it round for the different shows that i take out, once its in the garage and locked away i know it is safe then, Even though the van has a decent alarm, deadlocks,

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-01-2008, 11:05 AM

Have they changed their policies then, 'cos they always used to insure gear where ever it was, subject to security.

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-01-2008, 11:10 AM
My Insurance company(DJ Guard) say that I can't leave my gear in the van(in the garage) for more than a night or two before a gig.Does anybody know of a company who DO allow this?

Many Thanks

You'll probably find if you take the gear out of the van and store it in the garage then you'll be insured!!

And Vectis - I think you're wrong, having just checked the DJ Guard site.

djsteve10
26-01-2008, 11:23 AM

Agreed on that one, i always take the gear out anyway as i have to change it round for the different shows that i take out, once its in the garage and locked away i know it is safe then, Even though the van has a decent alarm, deadlocks,

sleah
26-01-2008, 02:12 PM

Many Thanks

Don't forget they simply mean they won't insure it in the van.
If you want to leave gear in your van no-one can stop you, it just means it won't be covered whilst it is in your van unattended.

If you find a company who will allow it, you can bet they will stipulate security such as dead locks on all doors, CAT1 alarm and something like lock down posts to prevent the vehicle being driven or towed away.

Good luck!

gaza
28-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Don't forget they simply mean they won't insure it in the van.
If you want to leave gear in your van no-one can stop you, it just means it won't be covered whilst it is in your van unattended.

If you find a company who will allow it, you can bet they will stipulate security such as dead locks on all doors, CAT1 alarm and something like lock down posts to prevent the vehicle being driven or towed away.

Good luck!

I think you will find that the gear is covered when in the vehicle, if it is in a locked section of the vehicle, or in the rigid body of a van, as long as it is not visable.:)

yourdj
17-02-2008, 02:25 PM
What if i had my gear covered with a black cloth, in a locked car, in a locked garage with another locked/alarmed car outside in front of the door so it cannot be opened?

I am going to call dj guard on this matter as i feel that this is far safer than just leaving it in a locked garage, but the underwriting might think different!

scoopd
17-02-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm sure that you'll finad that DJ Guard will say it's ok if you come back from a gig Friday into Saturday etc. but not for a longer period.That's what they said to me.
Let us know!